View Full Version : My Big 3 + pad list

rjhouser
02-01-2011, 16:26
So far they are -

Golite Quest pack
Sierra Designs Lightyear 1 tent
REI Sub Kilo 20
Thermarest Ridgerest (Solite) Size Small

Should I get a footprint for my lightyear? Also, what is the best way to carry my Ridgerest on the Golite Quest? Any other gear that would work well with this lineup? Suggestions? Planning to Thru after graduation 2012.

Thanks,

Ryan

mykl
02-01-2011, 17:15
I'm sure you'll get a lot of different responses as far as footprint is concerned, but I'd say yes, get one, just not the fitted footprint from SD. I just think they are way to expensive. A piece of tyvek, nylon or plastic would be just fine. Cut to size (a lil smaller).
I would put the pad under the lid of the pack. You could rig something up on the bottom (since it doesn't have pad straps), but it would probably be more of a pain to take on/off and it might move around while hiking.

bigcranky
02-01-2011, 18:41
A ground sheet is useful, just not under your tent. Don't bother with the brand-name "footprint" it's really heavy and not necessary. Get a piece of tyvek or the Gossamer Gear Polycro groundsheet, you'll find a lot of uses for it.

STICK
02-02-2011, 21:11
I like a footprint. Just a little extra to help protect and keep the tent clean. Also, if you stay at a shelter it comes in handy. During times of lots of rain, sometimes the shelter floors can be very nasty, so I like to have something to put my pad on to help keep it and my sleeping bag clean. And Tyvek is a great option for this, IMO.