PDA

View Full Version : a hypothetical...how far could you get on the PCT this time of year...

mac attack
02-01-2011, 19:33
just throwing the idea out there. I don't have a job right now, and I'm bored out of my mind. But I know I can land some awesome summer jobs. Then maybe hit the trail again in august. If I were to start hiking, about how far could I get before the snow pack was too nasty. I've been living and working outdoors in Southern Utah where the temps have been below zero so the cold isn't so much of an issue as is the dying on the side of an ice crusted mountain...

annie

Luddite
02-01-2011, 19:44
I don't think you would hit any serious snow until the Sierra Nevada but there are some high elevations i think even in Southern Cal like the laguna mountains. There might be more water out there this time of year too

Where are you working in southern Utah? I worked in Moab and Blanding last winter.

fiddlehead
02-01-2011, 20:04
San Jacinto comes up right away.
It is usually snow covered until about May I believe.
You would probably be best off skipping it, and then you could probably hike without too much snow until Kennedy Meadows or 50 miles short of there.

After Kennedy Meadows, you won't be able to resupply anywhere near the trail for close to 500 miles until May. Vermillion Valley, Red's Meadow, Tuloumme Meadows are all closed until snow levels make it possible for them to reopen.

sbhikes
02-02-2011, 13:55
San Jacinto is probably more dangerous for snow than the Sierras. And there's snow around Big Bear and probably Wrightwood and possibly on north-facing slopes around Tehachapi. Other than that, you could do most of So Cal right now. We've been having nice weather, really cold, but nice.

Hayduke_AZ
02-02-2011, 20:08
just throwing the idea out there. I don't have a job right now, and I'm bored out of my mind. But I know I can land some awesome summer jobs. Then maybe hit the trail again in august. If I were to start hiking, about how far could I get before the snow pack was too nasty. I've been living and working outdoors in Southern Utah where the temps have been below zero so the cold isn't so much of an issue as is the dying on the side of an ice crusted mountain...

annie

You want to start now or in August?

leaftye
02-02-2011, 20:33
Lagunas will be easy, even now. San Jacintos is where I would struggle. It isn't Fuller Ridge that worries me...that's easy enough. There's one particular switchback on the approach around Antsell Rock that I would either bring a snow shovel for if I was strict about staying on the trail, or I'd reroute slightly....actually, I'd cut the saddle on Apache Peak too.

Hayduke_AZ
02-02-2011, 21:15
If you leave now, many parts will be buried in snow. This isn't a real big deal if, you're prepared, and are comfortable navigating without a trail. I agree the Lagunas won't be bad. I used to go up there year round when I was at SDSU. I've hiked in the San Jacintos in winter as well. You just have to accept that you won't follow the trail's path all the time. Pick waypoints and make your own tracks through the snow. You'll move slower, but you can make it.