PDA

View Full Version : If you could only buy 1 guidebook . . . .

Sassafras Lass
02-01-2011, 20:58
. . . which one would it be?

We have the 2010 Thru-Hiker's Companion as well as the 2010 Data Book.

Heard wonderful things about the AT Guide (which as I understand is a comp of the Thru-Hiker's Handbook and the AT Guide?) and am tempted to buy that instead of a Companion for our NOBO thru this year.

Then again there's also the Appalachian Pages to consider . . . .

Decisions, decisions!

What are you bringing and why? "HYOH" doesn't apply here :p Which book has the most pertinent info for a thru-hike?

tawa
02-01-2011, 21:05
The A.T. Guide --(IMHO) is the very best of the bunch in giving you all the information u will need.

Mountain_Goat
02-01-2011, 21:25
I agree with Tawa-the new 2011 A.T. Guide has been incorporated with the Data book.It offeres the best and easy to read information.

Luddite
02-01-2011, 21:27
I'd bring the AT Guide. It doesn't really matter though.

HYOH:D

CrumbSnatcher
02-01-2011, 21:51
1998 thruhikers handbook

CrumbSnatcher
02-01-2011, 22:07
i liked the way wingfoot used to describe the things along the trail,and the shelter camping areas too.
I like the added elevation profiles from AWOL
town maps are nice.

Turtle Feet
02-01-2011, 22:15
David "AWOL" Miller's "The A.T.Guide". Period.

max patch
02-01-2011, 22:30
Philosopher's Guide.

http://www.atmuseum.org/Philosophers_guide_83.htm

malowitz
02-01-2011, 22:41
Another AT Guide reference here. I used it for a thru in 2010. AWOL will also e-mail out updates periodically so you get new information/corrections as you're on the move.

emerald
02-01-2011, 22:46
Why would anyone choose to acquire old data except for historical purposes? Another helpful thread!

Maybe it's expecting too much to think people might link the current guides.

Jim Adams
02-01-2011, 23:12
Philosopher's Guide.

Ditto! It was great...alot of feedback by the previous year hikers.

Data Book is all you really need.

geek

FritztheCat
02-01-2011, 23:15
I'm bringing the 2011 AT Guide. I have the 2010 version and it was very helpful (and accurate) for my hikes in VA last year.

mweinstone
02-02-2011, 00:25
just posted the rough draft of my hiking books first chapter on the what kind of hiking book should i write thread. would like to know what yall think.

NYRGTO
02-02-2011, 01:32
I like the elevation and style of the AT Guide. The Companion has more details about shelters and road crossings though. Haven't made up my mind yet.

StormBird
02-02-2011, 05:32

agreed. This is the best guide and I used a few before I came to that decision. :)

max patch
02-02-2011, 13:22
Wow, thats 9 votes for the AT Guide, 1 undecided, and 0 for the Companion. The ALDHA folks have got to be scratching their heads after reading this thread.

Oh, and given a choice between the two I'd hold my nose and get the AT Guide also. So that makes it 10-0 thus far. Really surprising.

SassyWindsor
02-02-2011, 13:27
Buy a guide book for the next long trail you plan on hiking. Odds are you already know too much about the AT anyway.:)

Speakeasy TN
02-02-2011, 18:41
Number 11 for AT Guide

Sly
02-02-2011, 18:58
Wow, thats 9 votes for the AT Guide, 1 undecided, and 0 for the Companion. The ALDHA folks have got to be scratching their heads after reading this thread.

Not exactly scratching my head...

I know many people like the AT Guide because of the elevations profiles, but as an experienced hiker I know they're mostly hype. I have the AT Guide and could get used to having to constantly change the book from reading the profile in a horizontal manner to reading the data in a vertical manner, and back again. The trail is going to climbs and descents, that's a fact, and a quick glance of the elevation table will tell you that.

With 35 volunteer field editors and many more sending in updates I have to think the Companion is more accurate than any other guide. That and the fact the proceeds goes to the ATC leaves me at ease.

Iceaxe
02-02-2011, 20:13
While were on the subject.. I have the 2010 Thru hikers Handbook by 501.
It says it used to be Wingfoots guide.
It seems like a solid data guide with elevation profiles and town data.
I am kinda on the fence about whether to buy a 2011 version of a guidebook.
Whats is the major selling point for between the 2010 thru-hikers handbook and the 2011 AT guide?

max patch
02-02-2011, 21:00
While were on the subject.. I have the 2010 Thru hikers Handbook by 501.
It says it used to be Wingfoots guide.
It seems like a solid data guide with elevation profiles and town data.
I am kinda on the fence about whether to buy a 2011 version of a guidebook.
Whats is the major selling point for between the 2010 thru-hikers handbook and the 2011 AT guide?

Because the 2010 version was at least 3 months outdated on the date it was first issued. Its now 1 year and 3 months outdated. Get the 2011 trail handbook of your choice. We're talking about less than $1 a month for current information on your hike.

Roland
02-02-2011, 21:05
~

Look at it this way...

What's the point of carrying a guidebook at all? To have the latest information RE water sources, shelters, town services, etc, right?

So, if you buy a guidebook for this information, why would you knowingly/willingly handicap yourself by purchasing outdated information?

Awol2003
02-02-2011, 21:55
.. I have the 2010 Thru hikers Handbook by 501.
It seems like a solid data guide...

...that is true. And you'd do fine hiking with the 2010 THH.
The 2011 AT Guide has the typical year-to-year updates: some businesses came and went and changed prices; and the trail grew a couple of miles. The AT Guide has about *20* more town maps than were in the 2010 THH. The elevation profile in The AT Guide is about twice the size of what was in the 2010 THH, so it shows substantially more detail. Also, the profile overlays the data so that all landmarks are aligned to the profile, not just a few.
Most important, but not readily apparent, is the fact that all data in this year's ATG was verified by taking GPS waypoints. The elevation profile was also completely redone, so the alignment of landmarks to profile is better than ever. There are about the same number of landmarks as were in the THH, which is about 800 more than are in the Companion.

Iceaxe
02-02-2011, 21:58
Sold! Thats good enough for me! Thanks for the info!

Bearpaw
02-05-2011, 18:20
Get a 2011 of whatever you get. I like both that are out there. I'd probably go with the AT Guide.

takethisbread
02-05-2011, 18:40
i find the Bob McCaw book to be my favorite and i took parts of 3 different guides with me. Im not sure that guide is still coming out.

The companion has an outstanding data key, that is the best. if the companion had elevation profile it would be almost perfect

emerald
02-05-2011, 22:50
It's the only current A.T. guide I own and well worth its price.

Sly
02-05-2011, 23:22
The companion has an outstanding data key, that is the best. if the companion had elevation profile it would be almost perfect

Thanks. Working on it...

stumpknocker
02-06-2011, 09:12
I have carried the Companion and the ATC maps my last four thru hikes. That is an excellent combination for me!

I send Companion pages and maps that I'll need later, along with a few other items ahead in my bounce box.

I used Wingfoots on my long walks before that.

10-K
02-06-2011, 09:57
Any one will do and I generally buy them all to support continued development and cross reference them since often one will contain some info another doesn't.

I liked previous incarnations of The AT Guide over the current one which I think is starting to suffer from improve-itis... The improvement I like least is that the data pages are starting to be far enough apart from the town info that when hiking it's getting difficult to know what to keep and what I can throw away. I liked it much better when the town info was on the opposite page (for the most part). That way, when I had hiked a page I could usually safely throw it away. Now I find I have to carry oddball pages so I don't inadvertently throw away town info.

One thing I don't get about any of them is the obsession with "east" being right and west being left - why not just say "left" or "right" since you have to do the mental conversion anyway? If you're hiking opposite of the layout of the guidebook east is still west and west is still east - seems like left and right work just as well.

canoehead
02-06-2011, 10:24
The Bible & AT Guide. I can use the AT guide for fire starter material after I'm done with it. I love gear that has multi uses.

Mongoose2
02-06-2011, 12:10
Another vote for the AT Guide here, a really good product. I also started out with WF's guide.....this is a vast improvement

Bearpaw
02-06-2011, 12:34
Get a 2011 of whatever you get. I like both that are out there. I'd probably go with the AT Guide.

i find the Bob McCaw book to be my favorite and i took parts of 3 different guides with me. Im not sure that guide is still coming out.

I should have noted I would probably go with the AT Guide for the profiles as well.

I really like how up-to-date the Companion tends to be, due to the large number of folks contributing and thus spreading the workload around. If it offered solid profiles, that would likely tip the scales to carrying it versus the AT Guide.

Sly
02-06-2011, 12:55
I really like how up-to-date the Companion tends to be, due to the large number of folks contributing and thus spreading the workload around. If it offered solid profiles, that would likely tip the scales to carrying it versus the AT Guide.

Bearpaw what's your feeling on the historical comments in the Companion? I know some people just like data in their guidebook, but the AT and along the trail, is rich in history. I'm at odds trimming this out.

Bearpaw
02-06-2011, 12:59
Bearpaw what's your feeling on the historical comments in the Companion? I know some people just like data in their guidebook, but the AT and along the trail, is rich in history. I'm at odds trimming this out.

My bachelor's degree is in history, so I'm probably pretty slanted in my view, but I enjoyed the historical notes when I thru-hiked. I felt much more involved in my hike knowing a little bit about what was around me. It's the same reason I can't imagine hiking the AT without maps. I could follow the blazes and probably stay found without them, but my hike would be less without knowing about what was around me. I'd say keep the historical info.

Maddog
02-06-2011, 13:04
David "AWOL" Miller's "The A.T.Guide". Period. Any guide will do...but I agree! Don't waste your time with anything else! AWOL's guide ROCKS!!!

Sly
02-06-2011, 13:37

You've used it to hike how many miles so far?

ARambler
02-06-2011, 13:39
One thing I don't get about any of them is the obsession with "east" being right and west being left - why not just say "left" or "right" since you have to do the mental conversion anyway? If you're hiking opposite of the layout of the guidebook east is still west and west is still east - seems like left and right work just as well.
nobo nazi.

takethisbread
02-06-2011, 14:05
Thanks. Working on it...

Best news I have heard.

Like 10k, I buy all them. You try to support the folks that aid the hikers.

Great bathroom reads anyhow.

You ought to take my suggestion that each Companion include a digital download of the book as well in a PDF file or something.

Like when you buy a record.

Sassafras Lass
02-07-2011, 11:00
Ha - thanks everyone. Looks like we're getting the AT Guide and will supplement with info from our '10 Data Book and '10 Companion (verified via internet, of course)

crazystick
02-07-2011, 14:52
Thanks F-Stop for thinking to make this thread., I didnt realize that with all the planning i have done i have not really thought about which guidebook i was going to buy.

I did just now buy AWOLs AT Guide. But because i believe in the ATC I am going to buy some things from them too.

WingedMonkey
02-07-2011, 17:04
The Bible & AT Guide. I can use the AT guide for fire starter material after I'm done with it. I love gear that has multi uses.

I agree, you can't believe how many bibles i have burned

Sickmont
02-07-2011, 17:05

How about Korans? Ever light a few of those up?

WingedMonkey
02-07-2011, 17:09

Yes is is missing a few pages

Sickmont
02-07-2011, 17:13
Yes is is missing a few pages

Ya, i heard they burn hotter and faster than the others.....

Sassafras Lass
02-07-2011, 17:30

So much for religious tolerance . . . :rolleyes:

malowitz
02-07-2011, 19:36
Ha - thanks everyone. Looks like we're getting the AT Guide and will supplement with info from our '10 Data Book and '10 Companion (verified via internet, of course)

F-Stop -- I think w/one of the full guidbooks you'll find the Data Book largely redundant. Also, the organization of the Data Book is different - it restarts at 0 miles for each "section" which makes it hard to talk about it/relate it the guidebooks that use cumulative mileage. Folks who had the data book only (I realize this isn't your plan) were often asking for phone numbers or information about towns that folks w/the AT Guide or other full guide books had. When discussing things we heard about up ahead, most people could say oh, near mile 1600 and we could all relate, but the folks w/the Data Book were on a different reference system and it was not as easy/convienient. What I'm saying is, I don't expect the Data Book to be of much use to you.

emerald
02-08-2011, 01:17
Most of what people here refer to as guide books are little more than directories of hiker services.

Sassafras Lass
02-08-2011, 11:49
F-Stop -- I think w/one of the full guidbooks you'll find the Data Book largely redundant. Also, the organization of the Data Book is different - it restarts at 0 miles for each "section" which makes it hard to talk about it/relate it the guidebooks that use cumulative mileage. Folks who had the data book only (I realize this isn't your plan) were often asking for phone numbers or information about towns that folks w/the AT Guide or other full guide books had. When discussing things we heard about up ahead, most people could say oh, near mile 1600 and we could all relate, but the folks w/the Data Book were on a different reference system and it was not as easy/convienient. What I'm saying is, I don't expect the Data Book to be of much use to you.

Gotcha, thank you - we ordered AWOL on the Appalachian Trail and the AT Guide 2011 this morning off Amazon - both free super saving shipping if anyone still needs them

Another Q - do the guidebooks list enough of the interesting and historical sites near the AT, or should I do some exhaustive internet research to find those?

Sly
02-08-2011, 12:10
Another Q - do the guidebooks list enough of the interesting and historical sites near the AT, or should I do some exhaustive internet research to find those?

Sure you could do an exhaustive internet search or get yourself a Thru-hikers' Companion! ;)

Sly
02-08-2011, 12:13
Most of what people here refer to as guide books are little more than directories of hiker services.

Little more? Considering the AT is the an extremely well marked trail, what do you think a guide book should be?

Sassafras Lass
02-08-2011, 12:22
Sure you could do an exhaustive internet search or get yourself a Thru-hikers' Companion! ;)

We have the 2010 Companion - that's what I'm using to draw up a tentative resupply schedule - and I'm using that to supplement my '11 AT Guide - does the AT Guide include the same points of interest that the Companion does?

Awol2003
02-08-2011, 13:32
We have the 2010 Companion - that's what I'm using to draw up a tentative resupply schedule - and I'm using that to supplement my '11 AT Guide - does the AT Guide include the same points of interest that the Companion does?

The A.T. Guide and the Companion do not have all the same "points of interest," like road crossings, trail crossings, summits, gaps and water sources. There are about 800 more of these listed in The A.T. Guide.

You also had a question about historic landmarks. Rarely does The AT Guide provide any discussion of the history behind places on the trail. In the future I'll probably add more as space permits, but I'm intent on keeping the book trim. The Companion, as you've seen by now, usually does have a paragraph or two about historic landmarks.

http://www.theatguide.com/CompareCompanion.html

There's a significant amount of material already waiting on the trail for those who pause to read it. Often there's a plaque describing what you're looking at (eg: Ottie Cline memorial). You'll pass many park visitor centers that'd love to have you stop in for a while. Every hut in the Whites has a bookself of material for you (guest or not); same for many hostels.

Sassafras Lass
02-08-2011, 13:42
The A.T. Guide and the Companion do not have all the same "points of interest," like road crossings, trail crossings, summits, gaps and water sources. There are about 800 more of these listed in The A.T. Guide.

You also had a question about historic landmarks. Rarely does The AT Guide provide any discussion of the history behind places on the trail. In the future I'll probably add more as space permits, but I'm intent on keeping the book trim. The Companion, as you've seen by now, usually does have a paragraph or two about historic landmarks.

http://www.theatguide.com/CompareCompanion.html

There's a significant amount of material already waiting on the trail for those who pause to read it. Often there's a plaque describing what you're looking at (eg: Ottie Cline memorial). You'll pass many park visitor centers that'd love to have you stop in for a while. Every hut in the Whites has a bookself of material for you (guest or not); same for many hostels.

Gotcha - thanks for the reply, and I look forward to reading your books!

emerald
02-08-2011, 14:40
Considering the AT is the an extremely well marked trail, what do you think a guide book should be?

An A.T. guide book should be more than a telephone book and the equivalent of those green signs we see along highways, it should serve to interpret the natural and cultural history of the region through which it passes or at least direct readers to other resources online and elsewhere which provide this information for those who desire it.

Were I to carry contact information for service providers at all, it would be stored in an electronic device. Should it fail, I would simply ask someone when I got to the next town just as hikers did before this new generation of guides became available.

ATC publishes the kind guides to which I refer, but we tell people they don't need them. My concern is that while we add more 2000 milers every year, we are not doing what we might to impress upon them the the full value of the A.T. It is so much more than simply a place to take a walk in the woods.

Iceaxe
02-08-2011, 17:24
An A.T. guide book should be more than a telephone book and the equivalent of those green signs we see along highways, it should serve to interpret the natural and cultural history of the region through which it passes or at least direct readers to other resources online and elsewhere which provide this information for those who desire it.

I know what you are saying Emerald.
I just recieved my AT Guide by Awol and I would describe it as a Data Book. It is excellant and the format is easy to use and thats what I expected.
When I think of guide books for other trails: The Wilderness Press guides for the PCT, The Wolf Guides for the CDT, they not only have a written description of the route along with the maps (Wolf Guides have just overview maps) but also historical and natural information about the landscape the trail traverses.
That being said I am glad to find the AT guide is a simple data book. Personally i would rather carry historical and natural history in a separate book.
That was one of the main complaints about the Wilderness press guides for the PCT was you had to wade through a long winded description interspersed with trail info on different pages so that when cut up for resupplies the page with the map could be two pages away from the relevant description.. most hikers found it too cumbersome and simply ignore the written stuff and use the maps from the books.
Many more still are simply using Half miles maps, or Eric the Black's book, or Postholer maps all of which are without descriptions found in a true guidebook.
Many PCT hikers also carry the Data guide by Benjamin Go and it is very similar to the AT guide I just recieved (except for elevation profiles).
The Wolf Guides for the CDT have a great balance as the trail description and other data are kept separate from each other in the guide. The downside is a full set of Wolf guides is 170 bucks so you really aren't likely to be cutting them up into sections for resupplies.
This begin my third trail in as many years i have had a crash course in "guide" books and you are correct in saying that what most people are calling a guidebook is really a Data book.

By the way.. I am super impressed with my AT guide by Awol. I especially like the ziplock bag that came with it.. thats cute! The format has town info pages separated by data pages with a full page elevation profile in the background. It's a really slick format and I am very glad I got it.
And just to piss off the anti-UL crowd i weighed the data guide.. it comes out to 8 ounces in the ziplock.. Hmm :-? I might switch the ziplock to a cuben fiber baggie..:sun Just funnin Ya!

Iceaxe
02-08-2011, 17:42
Yogi's town guides(PCT and CDT) also have data for the trail. If you are going to hike either of those trails I very highly recommend Yogi's books first before you buy any other guides.
Because:
#1 You are going to want a detailed town guide to aid your resupply strategy whatever that may be.
#2 Yogi's planning book (comes with town guide) has all the sources of maps and other guides and data books listed by source as well as the opinions of many past and present hikers that used them.
PCThandbook.com (http://pcthandbook.com/)
So if i were to hike either the PCT or CDT again and could take only one book it would be the Yogi guide.

art gypsy
02-09-2011, 15:19
Having used all 3, I'll stick with the A.T. Guide. The elevation profiles don't seem quite accurate, but the town info for maildrops and planning accomodations is invaluable.

The crock
02-09-2011, 20:21
At guide.the best!

OldStormcrow
02-09-2011, 22:19

If you get a really old one with the rice paper pages they make great rolling papers. It's always fun to try to find just the right verse for the occasion.

So Far
02-09-2011, 23:04
AT guide for sure!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BillO
05-18-2011, 03:21
Please note: The dates for the Gathering listed in AWOL's A.T. Guide are wrong. The 2011 Gathering will, in fact, be Oct. 7-8-9, at the Massachusetts College of Liberal Arts in North Adams, Mass.

That's Columbus Day Weekend, so many folks have an extra travel day and can stay over Sunday night so they won't miss Weathercarrot's fabulous Trail Trivia Contest!

Details at http://www.aldha.org/gathring.htm

Lando11
06-07-2011, 14:53
As a current thru hiker this year, there is no question, awols guide is so much better then the companion. my only complaint with awols guide is the elevation profile that we all rely on too much. the companion on the other hand is spare toilet paper/fire-starter. it is missing way too much essential data, especially water sources. if you are still debating which book to buy, DONT GET THE COMPANION!!!!

LDog
06-07-2011, 17:52
Philosopher's Guide.

Note to self - Put a quarter in my first aid kit ...

LDog
06-07-2011, 18:10
When can one expect the 2012 versions to be printed?

Lyle
06-07-2011, 18:44
AT Guide and Data Book.

Appalachian Pages, and now the AT Guide have been improving each year.

Stearman
06-16-2011, 05:19
I had been carrying the ATC 2011 guide until mile 800. Then I switched to AWOL's 2011. Trail profile and additional water sources were worth the switch. I also tear out the pages that I am hiking that day and put them in a sandwich bag in my pocket for easy access.

Fredt4
09-20-2011, 14:17
AWOL's guide was use by the majority of NOBO'S Thru-hikers, probably around 80% (not an exact figure). His layout seemed superior, had more data, but many preferred the additional info in the AT Companion. Some thought AWOL's was a deciding feature, others appreciated the more upto date info in the ATC. I found two hostels in the 2010 ATC that weren't listed by either.

Sly
09-20-2011, 16:43
I found two hostels in the 2010 ATC that weren't listed by either.

If I may ask which were those? Sometimes services, including hostels, are purposely omitted or deleted if we receive enough legitimate complaints.

Jeff
09-20-2011, 19:32
I found two hostels in the 2010 ATC that weren't listed by either.

I know of two hostels that were brand new this season and not in either guidebook because they started up after the books were printed.

There is also a hostel in VT and another in NH that desire not to be in the guidebooks as well.

Wobegon
09-20-2011, 19:51
I started with just the Companion, then picked up AWOL's guide in Connecticut when my Companion was tiny anyway. I really loved having the Companion at night for longer term planning and a few pages of AWOL's guide wadded up in my hip belt in a zip loc for "while hiking" use. So satisfying getting to the last page of the AWOL AT Guide and just staring at that insane profile of Katahdin.

nehiker
09-20-2011, 20:33
Like 10k, I buy all them. You try to support the folks that aid the hikers.

While I can only applaud AWOL's success with his book and guide, as I understand the profit from the Companion goes to the ATC, which supports trail/shelter maintenance/building along the AT. Without this, the AT would not last long. It seems to me AWOL would have provided a better service to the hiking community (which does not consist only of thru-hikers) by helping improve the Companion.

If the AT Guide lists more water sources than the Companion, I do hope the Companion catches up. The elevation profile should perhaps be added too, but without making the text harder to read. Personally, I would not hike without the AT maps, which have pretty good elevation profiles already, so I do not really care for another in a guide.