PDA

View Full Version : springer to damascus for trail days (can i make it in time?)

crazystick
02-01-2011, 22:11
okay, I will be starting my thru hike on March 21st. I am trying to work it out with my dad when he would be able to come out and hike with me for a week at some point while im on the trail, every summer we do some sort of outdoor adventure, usually backpacking. and this year, since im on the AT, he will be joining me for a week.

well on of his available dates was from may 15-30, I was wondering,
if I left from springer march 21st, how long would it take for me to get to damascus for trail days, on average, im a pretty good hiker, and can do 20 mile days if need be.
I thought it would be cool to meet him on the 15th in damascus, at trail days, then we can hike for a week from there.

I dont have the guidebook yet, thats why i am not able to find myself how feasable this may be.

crazystick
02-01-2011, 22:14
okay, i did a quick calculation, if i left on the 21st of march, and trail days is the 15th of may, thats 55 days away, divided by what looks like 460 miles distance between the two, thats about 8.5 miles a day. so i guess i could make it for sure. any more thoughts input?

balloonatic
02-01-2011, 22:29
i am doing about the same thing this year and i have been told as long as you get close there are always people driving by to hitch a ride with in town or at the hostels

max patch
02-01-2011, 22:33
You'll probably be past Damascus and will be looking to hitch a ride back to TD if that is what you want to do.

crazystick
02-01-2011, 22:42
i am doing about the same thing this year and i have been told as long as you get close there are always people driving by to hitch a ride with in town or at the hostels

cool, hope to see you there or on the trail then!

You'll probably be past Damascus and will be looking to hitch a ride back to TD if that is what you want to do.

well yeah, that was the other possibility i was thinking will probably happen. im sure i could get a ride back to damascus some how?