PDA

View Full Version : Groundhog Day Ice Storm

couscous
02-02-2011, 02:46
It's hard to sleep with trees buckling under the weight of ice and crashing to the ground every minute. This suggests there will be some major power outages with trees blocking many of the roads. ~ Anyone been out on a trail during an ice storm with trees crashing to the ground throughout the night?

couscous
02-02-2011, 02:53
http://www.twchikers.com/usa_None_anim.gif

Graywolf
02-02-2011, 04:08
That Storm passed through here last night and another is on the way.. Its cold, but I still would rather be hiking..

Thanks for sharing the weather map..

Mr. Clean
02-02-2011, 06:10
It started at three A.M. here in southern Maine, could be a good one. It's all snow for us, though.

couscous
02-02-2011, 08:34
I prefer the snow as I usually have to clear trees from the roads after ice storms. Between the snowblade, chainsaw and towstrap, I can usually clear things up.

Bati
02-02-2011, 08:51
It wasn't an ice storm but I was backpacking when a bad storm blew in overnight and tore down several trees, mostly during the next day. We were going to try to sleep out the storm that morning, but questions about the safety of this. The amount of snow blowing in under the fly and through a poorly designed mesh tent wall added a sense of urgency and made us decide to hike through the storm. Had we anticipated that much snow,we probably could have stopped the snow on the sleeping bag issue by building protective snow walls about the tent, but that wouldn't have helped the tree situation.
After a brutal 2.5 mile hike we made it to a 4-sided stone shelter. One of the wooden shelters further up the trail didn't survive the storm. Looking at that shelter, which was about 18 inches high after the tree fell on it, made you think. The folks staying there were OK as the tree held through the storm and didn't fall till a few hours after they had left.