PDA

View Full Version : External frame

dropsofskywater
02-02-2011, 05:04
So I have a 10 year old Jansport Rainer external pack it's a beast. but I love it. I bought it 10 years ago in WY on a road trip, on a whim someday I would muster up the guts to hike the AT...well I have mustered. I'm just concerns I will be the laughing stock newbee with the giant external. does anyone else use them any more? in all my reading they seem to be a faux pas. Help I don't I can afford a new bag.

Jim Adams
02-02-2011, 09:00
Your bag will be fine as long as it is in good condition. I, as well as others have jumped off of the internal frame bandwagon (I like to think it was a fad! lol) and returned to external frames. They ride better, carry better and are more comfortable.
Enjoy your hike.

geek

Tipi Walter
02-02-2011, 09:08
I used a large North Face external from 1980 to 2003 and it was my constant companion to around 8,000 bag nights. Sure, it wore out in places but was easily repaired. Externals are great for a number of reasons, but the main consideration is personal COMFORT and load capacity. It sounds as if your Jansport is comfy and beloved, so go ahead and use it. Don't worry about the Tiny Pack Boys, they'll be standing around shivering while you're pulling out the warm clothing you need from your pack.

zeus307
02-02-2011, 09:20
don't worry what other people think!! hike your own hike!! I to am old school so to say external frame. To me they just ride better and fit better for me. I am 5'11 210lbs large frame, external frames just are better for me.
Hike your own hike and enjoy, life is to short!!1

Hobbler
02-02-2011, 09:24
I agree with Geek...

It sounds like you are fond of and comfortable with your Jansport external. If it is still in good shape and it still carries well, don't worry about the small stuff people say and feeling on the outside. If it works for you go for it! They carry better and carry more with better access and feel like they are carrying less....HYOH!

CrumbSnatcher
02-02-2011, 10:37
Your bag will be fine as long as it is in good condition. I, as well as others have jumped off of the internal frame bandwagon (I like to think it was a fad! lol) and returned to external frames. They ride better, carry better and are more comfortable.
Enjoy your hike.

geekGEEK, i've never cheated on my external:D

CrumbSnatcher
02-02-2011, 10:38
So I have a 10 year old Jansport Rainer external pack it's a beast. but I love it. I bought it 10 years ago in WY on a road trip, on a whim someday I would muster up the guts to hike the AT...well I have mustered. I'm just concerns I will be the laughing stock newbee with the giant external. does anyone else use them any more? in all my reading they seem to be a faux pas. Help I don't I can afford a new bag.

a good riding external is a GREAT pack for the APPALACHIAN TRAIL
your not alone:cool: WELCOME TO WB

dropsofskywater
02-02-2011, 10:47
YEAH!! great, thank you for all the feed back! I will wear my external with pride!

CrumbSnatcher
02-04-2011, 21:48
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=45248&catid=member&orderby=dateline&direction=DESC&imageuser=15584&cutoffdate=-1

got my dana design k2 shortbed in the mail today
its in really nice condition

Roche
02-04-2011, 22:25
YEAH!! great, thank you for all the feed back! I will wear my external with pride!

Please not this one - it has too much pride :eek:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Red-White-Blue-Aluminum-Frame-Backpack-RARE-/330525960461?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4cf4e1e90d

Llama Legs
02-05-2011, 11:01

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Red-White-Blue-Aluminum-Frame-Backpack-RARE-/330525960461?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4cf4e1e90d

No worries about that one getting stolen !

stonedflea
02-05-2011, 22:58

well... it *is* only $19... it'd fit in well with the $300 challenge, haha.