PDA

View Full Version : Gortex rain pants?

flatfeet
02-02-2011, 09:35
Found a good deal on some Mt. Hardwear gortex rain pants. Which is got me wondering if I should go ahead buy them and try them out on the trail.

What are your experiences with them? I always figured rain pants even if they are Goretx will make your legs wet from the condensation inside your pants.

Plus added weight?

Should I just accept that my legs are going to get wet? And go without the hihpriced Goretx pants?

Thanks.

hobbs
02-02-2011, 09:49
i dont know what size you are but there's a Pair of Large Mountain hardwear Rain pants in the Gear section for sale for $55...I have the Conduit jacket...

LoneRidgeRunner
02-02-2011, 10:07
I have Mountain Hardwear FTX Ultra pants. Yes, they are a little heavier than others but they are very durable. I had a very light weight pair of Gore-tex pants, sat down on some ice to scoot on my butt because I didn't have crampons at the time and the ice cut a place about 2 inches long in the rear end. The FTX Ultras will not be cut by ice. I'm not sure if those are still made or not because I've used mine for many years.
I had a pair of Mountain Hardwear Conduit rain pants, which are lighter weight but my legs got wetter in them. (The rain came through them) Rain will not get through the FTX Ultras (not mine anyway) The Gore-tex (especially the heavier weight FTX Ultra) do feel a little hot if it's not cold, but if it's not a little cold it really doesn't matter that much if your legs get a little damp.
I haven't gotten nearly as damp from condensation in them as I would from letting it rain on my trail pants. If you keep the DWR in decent shape on them they will breathe better and reduce dampness from condensation. Many people say gore tex doesn't breathe. Well if you let the DWR go away the shell may get saturated and then nothing will breathe but otherwise the gore tex will breathe if the shell stays relatively dry.
I've saw people badmouthing Gore-Tex on here. They probably bought the cheapest garment they could find. Bear in mind that it comes in different grades. If it doesn't have a tag hanging on it saying "Guaranteed to keep you dry" don't buy it because it's the lower grade. I've never had rain get through I have that had the "Guaranteed to keep you dry" hanging on it.

brian2o0o
02-03-2011, 20:59
Check out golite's rain pants. Gore-tex and only 7oz with ankle zips. Use the code "dsw10" for 40% on golite's website.

bigcranky
02-03-2011, 23:32
I find my lower body doesn't sweat nearly as much as my torso. Rain pants are very useful in cold wet weather -- say, when starting a thru-hike in March. Later when it gets warmer you can bounce them north.

butts0989
02-04-2011, 00:18
If you're willing to spend the money arc teryx has some great pants as well as first ascent. both companies have great reviews on there pants. if you can find the golite reed pant online they are the best deal around. but they were discontinued a couple years back so they are hard to find.

futureatwalker
02-04-2011, 16:00
I've got these relatively light-weight gore-tex pants at REI several years ago, and I've found that they are almost my most useful bit of gear.

They are really easy to slip on an off, so I can put them on over hiking shorts when I get to camp and it's a little cool. In the morning, I slip them on and hike in them a bit before I warm up.

On windy days they are also great. So, really, I use them as a pair of pants rather than just as a rain garment.

Sassafras Lass
02-04-2011, 16:28
I find my lower body doesn't sweat nearly as much as my torso. Rain pants are very useful in cold wet weather -- say, when starting a thru-hike in March. Later when it gets warmer you can bounce them north.

Agree. All I do is freeze solid down south if it's less than 40F outside.

I'm hiking in a thin wool baselayer (top and bottom) and for rain/wind pants I'll be wearing my DriDucks bottom. Can't go wrong with that - got the set for $11 at STP. Speaking of which I've got a 40% today only coupon I won't be using - anyone want it? :D