PDA

View Full Version : Shelter for a 6'6"er?

fishing
02-02-2011, 11:38
Hello everyone, I have been in the market for a shelter lately and just can't seem to find a lightweight 1 (or 2 if the weight/price/footprint are right) person tent for myself.

At this height, am I doomed to tarp or hammock?

Any suggestions for a tall person tent?

Thanks,
Alex

Big Dawg
02-02-2011, 12:03
Check out the Tarptent Moment (http://www.tarptent.com/moment.html),,, It works well for me as a solo shelter. I'm 6'5", 275 lbs. Because the overall tent length is 110", you'll have plenty of room head to toe. Beyond the 84" floor, you have 13" on each side of mesh floor. For us tall guys, we don't necessarily need the additional floor space beyond 84", just the extended canopy space, so our sleeping bag ends don't rub up against tent walls.

It's not palatial like a 2 man tent, but has plenty of room for me and my gear. I added the liner which makes this tent a 2 wall, which helps avoid condensation drip, when and if that happens. Total weight is 2 & 1/4 lbs, which is good for a relatively spacious solo tent for a big man. I also like the compact footprint of this tent. Overall it's a magnificent find for my qualifications,, and I've been searching for a while.

BAG "o" TRICKS
02-02-2011, 12:17
Hello everyone, I have been in the market for a shelter lately and just can't seem to find a lightweight 1 (or 2 if the weight/price/footprint are right) person tent for myself.

Thanks,
Alex

Kelty use to make a few tents for long bodies.

SassyWindsor
02-02-2011, 12:32
2- one man tents face to face, enter at the center. Velcro to fasten loose doors/vestibules. I have a friend that does this. Plenty of storage room too.

couscous
02-02-2011, 12:54
doomed to hammock.. reminds me of Brer Rabbit saying please don't throw me in the briar patch. (some of you are old enough to remember that) If you do decide to hammock, one to consider is the HH Explorer Deluxe Asym Zip (http://hennessyhammock.com/specs-explorerDL_zip.html) for up to 7' tall/300#.

fishing
02-02-2011, 13:04
doomed to hammock.. reminds me of Brer Rabbit saying please don't throw me in the briar patch. (some of you are old enough to remember that) If you do decide to hammock, one to consider is the HH Explorer Deluxe Asym Zip (http://hennessyhammock.com/specs-explorerDL_zip.html) for up to 7' tall/300#.

Heh well I mean that more in the term that I don't imagine anyone likes it when their options are limited by something they can't control. The idea that I may not be able to stay in my first shelter of choice because I am tall is annoying to stay the least

Wags
02-02-2011, 13:14
tarp with bugnet?

HeartWalker
02-02-2011, 13:20
I am 6 ft 3 and my Hex Twin from Zpacks works great I think you would fit also at your height

mykl
02-02-2011, 13:29
For some freestanding, affordable tents, check out Sierra Designs Zolo (1, 2 and 3 person versions). They are all 8 feet long. Also the Kelty Gunnison (2, 3 and 4 person versions) that are 7'8" long. Marmot makes some long, steep walled tents but they can be a bit heavy. My friend has the Limelight. It's 7'6" long, good head room and weighs around 4 pounds 10 oz. The twilight is nice to, but around five and a half pounds. I'm not as tall as you (6'3") but have looked at and went into these tents at a store. They are very roomy and priced around $200 (+/-). Not the lightest tents though if you are concerned about weight.
I'm sure you can get what you want if you look past some weight.

Berserker
02-02-2011, 13:42
I haven't bought a tent in a while, but being 6'-5" myself I remember the main measurement I looked for was that the floor was at least 88". I have 2 Tarptents (original Squall and Double Rainbow) and they both have plenty of length. I also have an Akto, and it's marginal (floor is 88") but long enough for me to fit comfortably. I currently use one of the aforementioned tents or a Mountain Laurel Designs DuoMid. The DuoMid also has adequate length, but I will note that I coupled it with a bivy to keep splashed rain off my sleeping bag. I also use the bivy for those occasional times when I stay in a shelter (to keep the mice off me).

scope
02-02-2011, 13:43
...can't seem to find a lightweight 1 (or 2 if the weight/price/footprint are right) person tent for myself.

"Doomed" to a hammock?!? Blasphemy!!!! ;)

I assume you looked at the Hubba? Always seemed plenty long to me, but I didn't like the width. One of the reasons I went to a hammock was I had trouble finding something I liked - couldn't decide on which compromise to settle on, since they all have compromises. Plus, the ground stopped being my friend. :-?

johnnyblisters
02-02-2011, 14:07
Check out http://bearpawwd.com/ for tarp/net tent combos. They also do custom work.

garlic08
02-02-2011, 14:36
My 6'7" friend has hiked the PCT and CDT with his Tarptent Contrail. He's taking it on the AT in April.

bigcranky
02-02-2011, 16:13
The Moment has more than enough room for me at 6-2, and I've seen Big Dawg in a Moment and he fit fine too.

fishing
02-02-2011, 16:24
Tarptent has always been at the top of my list, now it has just come down to Contrail vs. Moment. Any tall people with input on the Rainbow?

10-K
02-02-2011, 16:48
Tarptent has always been at the top of my list, now it has just come down to Contrail vs. Moment. Any tall people with input on the Rainbow?

6'2 and just got back from a 3 night trip with mine. Plenty of room for me and my gear and more than enough to spare on either end of my bag to keep it dry. IMO it would be more than roomy enough for someone 6'6". Not a palace, but better than most any other 1 man tent I've personally seen.

I really like this tent a lot with the exception of the misting issue which I discovered in real time and didn't know about in advance because I didn't read the TT website FAQ (my fault). Be aware that in a driving rain that lasts a while the stuff in your tent will likely get damp.

It'll still be my goto 1 man tent because it's has much more usable room than my Lunar Solo but I am bummed about the misting issue.

Edited to add: I understand the liner will address this issue but I'm not sure how much additional interior space that'll cost...probably not a lot.

Big Dawg
02-02-2011, 18:05

I own the Double Rainbow too, same length as the Rainbow. Better room at the ends than a Hubba for example, but not as much as in the Moment. I've gotten my bag ends wet in the DRainbow.

I've also been in the Contrail. Returned it for the DR. I didn't like end entry. I prefer side entry. Plus the max height is at the front of tent instead of the middle where I'd be raising up. As I sat up, I'd have to scooch toward the front. Many people like the Contrail,,, I didn't.

Big Dawg
02-02-2011, 18:08
Edited to add: I understand the liner will address this issue but I'm not sure how much additional interior space that'll cost...probably not a lot.

only about an inch or less. a tall person like me might slightly brush up against it, but it definitely helps keep the misting and condensation drip at bay.

STICK
02-02-2011, 19:57
I have been loving the room in my Lunar Duo. Of course I am only 5'10" but there is tons more room in there...

http://stick13.wordpress.com/gear/my-current-gear/shelter/six-moon-designs-lunar-duo/

10-K
02-02-2011, 20:11
I have been loving the room in my Lunar Duo. Of course I am only 5'10" but there is tons more room in there...

http://stick13.wordpress.com/gear/my-current-gear/shelter/six-moon-designs-lunar-duo/

I've actually gotten lost walking around in my Duo.... :)

Seriously, the Jolly Green Giant would be happy in there as a solo tent.

fiddlehead
02-02-2011, 20:13
Integral Designs Sil Shelter will work.
It's only 13 oz too.
Have fun.

STICK
02-02-2011, 20:27
They have on right now in the Bent and Dent Bin at SMD for $240.

http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/bargin-bin.html

Railroad
02-05-2011, 22:44
I've been in the same boat lately (6'6), and was quite frustrated after trying EVERYTHING that my local outfitter had on hand... I've traded emails with Henry Shires at TT, and he recommended the Rainbow for me, so I'm now confident I will fit comfortably in that tent.

The only remaining debate is whether the liner is worth the extra weight and whether to shop around for one secondhand or to get a brand new one...

the judge
02-06-2011, 12:31
I have an alps mountaineering zephyr 2, I'm 6'2" tall and I have plenty of room inside the tent. I believe it has 8' of room from head to toe. Plus I can sit up without my head hitting the ceiling. I'm claustrophobic, so the ample room is a huge necessity for me.

the judge
02-06-2011, 12:32
plus it was only $100 on overstock.com

Ashevillian
02-06-2011, 12:44
MSR Hubba, or Hubba Hubba if you want more width. I use a 6' 6" pad and still have room for my pack below my feet.

FamilyGuy
02-06-2011, 13:27
I think the Hubba would be too short. I have used one and at 6'1", I only have 2" at each end. At 6'6", I think you would touch. With a sleeping bag, for sure.

Papa D
02-06-2011, 13:40
Ray-Way Tarp Tent!

Yukon
02-06-2011, 14:13

Thanks,
Alex

I'm 6'-6" as well and have a Big Agnes Emerald Mountain SL1 for when I solo. Plenty of room for me AND my pack, should I choose to have it in there with me. Love the side entry, and great vestibule.

sir limpsalot
02-07-2011, 17:32
big agnes copper spur 2 ul !

Yukon
02-07-2011, 17:55

Definitely a great tent, we have the Copper Spur UL3 for when my fiancee and I go out together...

Big Dawg
02-07-2011, 18:09

I own that one too,, good for a 2 man tent. Large footprint, and 4 lbs w/ everything,,,, one of the reasons I carry the Tarptent Moment for my lightweight solo hikes.

Skywalker
02-07-2011, 23:16
I greatly sympathize with you. Actually not! You're only 6'6". Golly, had I been 6'6", I honestly think I could have fit in some of the one person tents at REI, and saved three pounds. However, I'm 6'11", and couldn't find any one person tent that fit. Yes, occasionally I would get excited when I would see an 84 inch(7 feet) tent advertised. But when I would try to get in I wondered if they didn't mean 84 inches diagonally from the top entrance to the ground on the other end!

I completely balked at the idea of carrying a 5 pound 2 person tent. Thus, the tarp experiment, which went terribly wrong. Finally, I threw in the tent and bought a two-person, 5 pound tent from Sierra Design.

If I try another long-distance hike, however, I will have a tent custom made. That should save me at least two pounds. Better yet, my current two-person tent is like a small house, but not as insulated as one-person tents. This is a huge problem at high elevations. Good luck finding a one-person tent. Otherwise, you can definitely find someone at either the Kickoff (Big John) or Trail Days that is a specialty tent maker. They are probably only about 10 or 20% more expensive--about $250.

Good luck. author of Skywalker--Highs and Lows on the Pacific Crest Trail

JohnEbner
02-12-2011, 22:15
I'm 6'5 and have been using a BA Seedhouse SL1. It's a tight fit though and the front entrance is a pain. I just switched over to a TarpTent Contrail and like it a lot. I'll probably be purchasing a Double Rainbow also for when I want extra elbow room. SMD Lunar Duo is another popular choice for tall folks. If you're looking for a double wall tent then something like the Copper Spur may work for you. I've heard of a couple of tall folks using the Lightheart Solo too but really don't know much about it. SMD is coming out with a new one called the Skyscape that looks similar to the Lightheart Solo.

goodolenate
02-16-2011, 14:54
I'm 6'5'' so I've had the same problem that you do. I ended up getting a TarpTent Double Rainbow and I absolutely love it. It is long enough to fit me in it and has some really great space inside.

If you're in no way concerned about weight, go check out REI's Half Dome 2 Plus. I've got one of these as well for car camping and it is massive.

NCarolinaHiker
02-16-2011, 15:34
I have a Half Dome 2 Plus and at 6'6" don't fit it long enough for me and a sleeping bag, and I don't sleep on a pad at all. The slope of the walls (when I do buy a pad) might be an issue, but it's double wall so moisture is not a concern. I just don't like touching my head or feet on the wall out of comfort, it's a little trapped feeling. I don't sleep diagonally in the tent though as I use it as a 2 person tent with my wife. I'll hopefully be upgrading to something with a longer floor space for me.

Interior space is great though, it'd be a massive tent for 1 and it's good for 2 - not great. The vestibules are large and setup is simple, simple, simple.

TheYoungOne
02-16-2011, 20:59
Eureka backcountry 1

http://www.campmor.com/wcsstore/Campmor/static/images/tents/23890.jpg

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___23890

mweinstone
02-16-2011, 21:05
my 144 suare feet of palacial space has a 9x9 foot useable floorspace. one pole in the mid. the black diamond megalite mid. 2lbs and cheap too. best tent in history.

QiWiz
02-16-2011, 21:37
Tarp Tent rainbow might be good.

NCarolinaHiker
02-17-2011, 12:35
my 144 suare feet of palacial space has a 9x9 foot useable floorspace. one pole in the mid. the black diamond megalite mid. 2lbs and cheap too. best tent in history.

If you're looking for a floorless single wall pyramid.

NCarolinaHiker
02-17-2011, 12:37
Whoops, jumped too soon. It's palatial for sure, though. Do you have the inner net as well? Not long ago I was thinking about an SL3 but this looks interesting as well. So does the Lunar Duo.. and the multiple Tarp Tent models.. and the.. !

And how the heck can I edit posts around here? I don't see an option for it, but I know it exists.

HeartFire
02-17-2011, 19:48
LightHeart Gear has a new tent coming soon, The "LightHeart SoLong 6" this will accommodate people well over 6"6" tall. About 30 sq feet of floor space, 1 lb 11oz. I have just one or two minor details to figure out, and it will be ready for prime time by Trail Days.

Judy aka HeartFire of LightHeart Gear

NCarolinaHiker
02-17-2011, 20:43
Judy, any plans for a similar tent for 2 people?

Chop
02-17-2011, 20:52
The SMD Lunar Duo works well for me (and my wife). I am 6' 5"

HeartFire
02-17-2011, 20:53
Judy, any plans for a similar tent for 2 people?

That's the LightHeart Duo!

HeartFire
02-17-2011, 20:57
Eventually I may offer it in cuben as well

darkage
02-18-2011, 01:08
LightHeart Gear has a new tent coming soon, The "LightHeart SoLong 6" this will accommodate people well over 6"6" tall. About 30 sq feet of floor space, 1 lb 11oz. I have just one or two minor details to figure out, and it will be ready for prime time by Trail Days.

Judy aka HeartFire of LightHeart Gear

Beat me to it, Was gonna say the same thing .... :banana

NCarolinaHiker
02-18-2011, 13:53
That's the LightHeart Duo!

Is that the same length as the LightHeart SoLong 6? :)

HeartFire
02-18-2011, 14:14
Is that the same length as the LightHeart SoLong 6? :)
The LightHeart Duo is 101 inches long and 55 inches wide - it's a rectangle, and the corners are boxed up 6 inches.

The SoLong 6 is 100 inches long, 55 inches in the center width and tapers to 30 inches at each end, with 45 inches head room. the corners are boxed up to 8 inches so the slope is a little less steep.

I designed it so that there is clearance for an 'object' 80 inches long (6'8") and 15 inches deep.

Judy

NCarolinaHiker
02-19-2011, 00:28
Wow. Thanks!

Big Dawg
02-19-2011, 17:42
The LightHeart Duo is 101 inches long and 55 inches wide - it's a rectangle, and the corners are boxed up 6 inches.

The SoLong 6 is 100 inches long, 55 inches in the center width and tapers to 30 inches at each end, with 45 inches head room. the corners are boxed up to 8 inches so the slope is a little less steep.

I designed it so that there is clearance for an 'object' 80 inches long (6'8") and 15 inches deep.

Judy

you've got my attention:D can't wait for pics.

I assume this design will also use hiking poles for setup, along w/ the center support thingy? 1#11ozs is before seam seal, right? any plans to make this in CF too?

10-K
02-19-2011, 17:45

Judy

Sounds like great measurements for a non-claustrophobic single person tent.

Will these be manufactured in China with the more water-resistant silnylon or made locally with cordura?

HeartFire
02-19-2011, 18:20
Sounds like great measurements for a non-claustrophobic single person tent.

Will these be manufactured in China with the more water-resistant silnylon or made locally with cordura?
For now, I will be making these only. I still have a little bit of sourcing to do for one part of the tent, so it's not 'ready for prime time' quite yet.

Yes, it will use the exact same (hiking) pole set up, and I'm sure I will eventually offer it in cuben fiber.

should the demand become so great that I can't keep up with sewing, I will outsource it - to China most likely.

Judy

10-K
02-19-2011, 19:07
should the demand become so great that I can't keep up with sewing, I will outsource it - to China most likely.

Judy

Given what I've learned about silnylon over the past few weeks I'll wait on a Chinese version. :)

SawnieRobertson
02-19-2011, 20:13
I greatly sympathize with you. Actually not! You're only 6'6". Golly, had I been 6'6", I honestly think I could have fit in some of the one person tents at REI, and saved three pounds. However, I'm 6'11", and couldn't find any one person tent that fit. Yes, occasionally I would get excited when I would see an 84 inch(7 feet) tent advertised. But when I would try to get in I wondered if they didn't mean 84 inches diagonally from the top entrance to the ground on the other end!

I completely balked at the idea of carrying a 5 pound 2 person tent. Thus, the tarp experiment, which went terribly wrong. Finally, I threw in the tent and bought a two-person, 5 pound tent from Sierra Design.

If I try another long-distance hike, however, I will have a tent custom made. That should save me at least two pounds. Better yet, my current two-person tent is like a small house, but not as insulated as one-person tents. This is a huge problem at high elevations. Good luck finding a one-person tent. Otherwise, you can definitely find someone at either the Kickoff (Big John) or Trail Days that is a specialty tent maker. They are probably only about 10 or 20% more expensive--about $250.

Good luck. author of Skywalker--Highs and Lows on the Pacific Crest Trail

You might be very pleased and say "FINALLY!" if you went to Heartfire's website Lightheartgear.com. She's got something in the works that should please you.--Kinnickinic

Skywalker
04-02-2011, 16:40

Thanks,
Alex
I'm just over 6'11" and have some sobering news for you. There is no name brand out there that I'm aware of (after extensive searching) that has a tent that I will fit in. Maybe not you either. The worst thing is the brands falsely advertise their length. I got excited several times when I heard about 84 inch (7 feet) tents. But when I got in them, it wasn't even close.

After a disastrous tarp experiment, I threw the towel in and bought a two-person tent. But that adds almost 3 pounds. Perhaps worse yet, it isn't as warm on a cold night, and you pick up more condensation. Loads more.

If I do another long hike, I will have one custom made by either Henry Shires (well-known) or by Big John. John is an AT veteran living in New Hampshire and very deliberately makes efficient tents.

Good luck fellow traveler,

Skywalker--Close Encounters on the Appalachian Trail
--Highs and Lows on the Pacific Crest Trail

leaftye
04-02-2011, 16:47
Lightheart is going to be at ADZPCTKO and hopes to have the SoLong6 available for sale there, so tall folks may want to plan for switching shelters while there.

Franco
04-02-2011, 20:40
The worst thing is the brands falsely advertise their length. I got excited several times when I heard about 84 inch (7 feet) tents. But when I got in them, it wasn't even close.

That can and does happen but usually the linear measurement is correct except that it isn't the "usable" measurement because of sloping walls.
What is relevant to the user is the space above the head and foot area needed to fit in. That of course changes with the size of your feet, the thickness of the sleeping bag and the mat.
With sloping walls it is surprising to some how much space they lose going from a 1" to a 2.5" mat...
One suggestion could be the Squall II. (around 34oz)
The floor of that is 84" long ( a few inches more with the floor in non bath tub mode) but about 45" high at the head (door end) and 22" high at the end 8" either side of the middle. (about 23" in the middle.
Franco

HeartFire
04-02-2011, 21:05
The LightHeart SoLong 6 was designed around a block that is 6'8" long and 15 inches deep, so there was clearance all around that area. (I figured that a sleeping pad, a fluffy bag and a hiker with large feet would be about 15 inches off the ground) AND, Skywalker was very clearly able to fit in the tent at Amicalola Falls a few weeks ago, (I have a picture of him in the tent somewhere, I'll have to find it and post it). I know Skywalker says he likes a free standing tent, and the LightHeart tents are not free standing, so perhaps that's why he seems to have forgotten how well he fit into the SoLong 6. The SoLong 6 has the ends boxed off to 8 inches with carbon fiber stays that are sewn in so you can't lose them. I will have it available at the PCT kick off. I'm planning of starting production of a few of them this week. Generally they will be custom tents - your color choice, right ot left hand door, 2 door options, wedge options etc, but for now, I just want to have a few on hand to take with me to the PCT.
I do not have this on the website yet (too busy sewing to mess with the website).

I was at Franklin for the Hiker bash today, lots of people begging me to start production. I even had one guy who knew it was just my prototype and has some minor 'issues' (no pocket, missing a few tie outs etc), he convinced me to let him have the prototype.

Like all the other LightHeart Tents, it uses the same patent pending support structure. The weight of the prototype was 1lb 10 oz. I figure it will probably be one more ounce when I add the rest of the tie outs, a pocket and a tie back for the rear fly. Of course, if you want extra doors etc, that all adds some weight

Judy - LightHeart Gear

pistol p
04-03-2011, 21:26
Can't wait to see the tent, Judy.

Pete

pistol p
04-14-2011, 23:15
Looks awesome. Just what the doctor ordered.

http://www.lightheartgear.com/LightHeart_Gear/Home_files/IMGP1684.jpg

leaftye
04-15-2011, 00:15
I just realized it's more of a hybrid than a double wall tent like the Solo. Not that that's a bad thing to me since I use a single wall tent right now. I absolutely love the space:weight ratio on this thing.

HeartFire
04-15-2011, 07:20
it is a hybrid, and the back fly doesn't open up fully unless you put another zipper in the back fly. I have a loop with some velcro to hold the back up as high as it can ago (shown in the photo). I fit comfortably in the tent with my (adult) son, so it can serve as a 'tight' 2 person tent, but it was designed to give clearance for a 'block' that was 6'8" long, 25 inches wide and 15 inches deep. The seams along the top are all flat /lapped double stitched seams so it is easier to seam seal, and sturdier seams than single stitched/bound seams. I had my prototype tested up on Mt. Mitchell, he had snow, hail and rain with gale force winds, and the tent did fine (other than sagging a little in the rain as silnylon will do)

tat44too
04-17-2011, 17:47
Get a NEMO Moto1P. You will love it.

darkage
04-17-2011, 18:08

Seriously doubt it ...

FamilyGuy
04-17-2011, 22:06
Seriously doubt it ...

Lots of room for someone who is tall. With the new 37" head height, that will help as well. But it is seriously long.

pistol p
04-18-2011, 20:16

Looks okay. Not a fan of front entry tents. And the weight is up there, for me.

I will wait, not sure how patiently, for the SoLong 6. Juuuudy;)

Need something by mid May.