PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone use different boot inserts?

Big Suave
02-02-2011, 16:17
I recently bought a pair of Merrell Moab Mid Waterproofs because I thought they may breathe a little better then my Merrell Outlands. They do breathe a little better but aren't as comfortable. I was thinking maybe I could rectify that by a different insert. Anyone have advice or opinions on different more comfortable inserts like super feet or something and how do you like them? Thanks

Spokes
02-02-2011, 16:25
I used Superfeet inserts on my 2009 thru and loved them. Depending on the shoe/boot I wore I switched between the blue and greens. Blues always went inside my Keen Targhee II mid's and greens inside my trail runners.

You should choose inserts based on three criteria- volume fit, support, and shock absorption.

Good luck.

sbhikes
02-02-2011, 16:42
When hiking the PCT I had a bunch of different inserts. I could stack them, switch them, basically do whatever it took to make my feet happy each day.

tuswm
02-02-2011, 20:09
I had the moab mids and used the green super feet but only on a 2 week rocky hike.

Wise Old Owl
02-02-2011, 20:31
I too use green super feet.

leaftye
02-02-2011, 20:36
I switched to Super Feet blues for most of last year. I think I'll stick with them, but I may carry a pair of plush homemade EVA insoles for road walks.

garlic08
02-02-2011, 20:36
On the AT I used blue Superfeet. I must have low arches--the greens felt like I was walking on logs. I think the stiffer plastic helped lessen the foot pain on the rocky sections. On trails out West where there's lots of road walking, I also carry Spenco inserts for more padding, especially helpful when the shoes get old and flat (thank you Mags for that tip). On good quality dirt trails, it doesn't matter what's in there.

Phreak
02-02-2011, 20:48
I use custom inserts. Worth the money!

CrumbSnatcher
02-02-2011, 21:37
one of my boots shrank, and my foot was tight with a bad heel blister!
around the grayson highlands i took out the insert and just walked with my foot directly on the honeycomb hard plastic under the insert:eek:. crazy huh. but it felt so good, i never fixed it.:D

Camping Dave
02-02-2011, 21:40
I stopped using inserts altogether in all my shoes (daily wear, running, hiking) about 1 year ago and am very very happy.

CrumbSnatcher
02-02-2011, 21:41
switched to sandels the next year haven't had a blister since.
good luck finding what you need Big Suave :)

CrumbSnatcher
02-02-2011, 21:46
I stopped using inserts altogether in all my shoes (daily wear, running, hiking) about 1 year ago and am very very happy.
i was wearing mid-heavyweight boots
they were montrail moraines
didn't plan on hiking without the insert but i did.
surprised to see someone do it willingly:) whatever works

Roland
02-02-2011, 21:52
Anyone have advice or opinions on different more comfortable inserts like super feet or something and how do you like them? Thanks

Until mid-40s, I never used special insoles. Didn't need 'em. Then I started being plagued by plantar fasciitis. When things got so bad that I could barely walk, I went to see a podiatrist who recommended insoles. That cured my problem, so I've been using them since.

I've used several flavors of Superfeet, New Balance brand insoles, and green Spenco brand insoles. There are differences, but honestly, they are all pretty similar. Buy what's on sale and see if that makes your feet happy.

Spokes
02-02-2011, 22:07
The trick to sizing Superfeet is to make sure your heel fits comfortably within the inserts heel cup- not hanging over the sides!. That doesn't always necessarily match the shoe size chart on the package. I had to go up a size in order to get the right fit.

Be sure to double check!

Roland
02-02-2011, 22:10
The trick to sizing Superfeet is to make sure your heel fits comfortably within the inserts heel cup- not hanging over the sides!. That doesn't always necessarily match the shoe size chart on the package. I had to go up a size in order to get the right fit.

Be sure to double check!

Excellent advice.

I'll also add that in addition to proper heel-fit, you have to find an insole that places the arch support at the right location (not too far back; not too far forward). Again, that may mean using a size that's different than your shoe size.

Elder
02-02-2011, 22:59
www.orthosole.com (http://www.orthosole.com)
The best fit, self customised by exchanging the included alternate arch and metatarsal.
Mountain Crossings put a lot of them on tired,sore and hurt feet last season.

and Yes, I am the Orthosole rep, and Leki, and Icetrekkers...

Many Walks
02-02-2011, 23:42
Spenco Backpacker is my preference.

Outdoor76
02-04-2011, 09:57
Hey guys ... we spend more time in this segment at the shop than just about any other. We're partial to SOLE because they're heat moldable and dynamic to inconsistencies between left and right feet. However, we're a fan of anything that works for you.

Here's the biggest problem with inserts. 99% of people buy them off their shoe size. An insert is designed to fit your foot in a completely different way.
#1 - you want the heel cup to support your heel. Its like putting a wide tire on a narrow rim or vice versa.
#2 - the insert needs to fit your arch. This is CRITICAL. Most of us have an arch size that exceeds our foot length size (on a Brannock). Its why most people out there are having foot problems in relation to shoes. We've been open 4 months and can't count the number of people that come in wearing shoes too small. Your arch length is HUGE when fitting an insert. The second biggest mistake people make when buying inserts is being impressed by the arch height. Arch support needs to be adequate - NOT EXCESSIVE. You can do more damage to you arches by wearing the wrong inserts than not wearing them at all. The idea is simple - optimize your foot the way it was designed so it lasts as long as the rest of you.

So, here's our suggestion. Go somewhere and get FIT for an insert. Buying a Dr.Scholls off the shelf is not always the best option. The cushy gel might make the pain go away, but its not fixing anything. A good insert should help direct the flow of energy through your foot from the heel to the toe and not be damaging your foot. We have seen VERY few cases that a well fit insert could not replicate a an expensive podiatrist's orthodic.

JaxHiker
02-04-2011, 10:23
I picked up the green Superfeet but didn't like them once I got them home. I was going to swap out for the blue but never got around to it. Anyone know who makes the insoles with the interchangeable parts? They're only about $50 like the rest of them but you get like 3 parts for each one and can build different setups for each foot.

Outdoor76
02-04-2011, 10:40
Keep in mind, there are more than 3 different arch sizes for the human foot. The last thing you want to do is experiment with arch plates on a thru-hike with interchangeable inserts. The reason all the viaducts in Rome are still standing after 2500 years is because no has pushed up on them. Your arch works the same way.
Below are photos of a recent NOBO that purchased inserts that were improperly fit for her and what happened after she experimented with changing the arches. You can see the raw spot behind her metatarsal from the transition spot cutting her. She was fit TWO sizes too short for her arch. She's been in a pair of properly fit SOLES now for almost a month and is doing awesome.
http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa292/tricked919/IMG_0080.jpg
http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa292/tricked919/IMG_0079.jpg

troglobil
02-04-2011, 11:01
I picked up the green Superfeet but didn't like them once I got them home. I was going to swap out for the blue but never got around to it. Anyone know who makes the insoles with the interchangeable parts? They're only about $50 like the rest of them but you get like 3 parts for each one and can build different setups for each foot.
see post #16 above

Elder
02-04-2011, 11:06
www.orthosoles (http://www.orthosoles) :rolleyes:

as above
I am the rep.

JaxHiker
02-04-2011, 13:05
Ha! Reading is fundamental.

malowitz
02-05-2011, 10:26
I thrud in low-top Moab Ventilators (for the whole hike) last year. I started w/some heat moldable insoles from Sports Authority that wore out fairly quickly. In Danville (I think), about 700 miles in, I went to green Superfeet. My feet progressively got worse/painful. I tried various combinations with Dr. Scholls and other "gel" insoles on top of the super feet for more cushion. That didn't work either. In Palmerton I saw a podiatrist and ended up with some old Spencos (hard plastic witha foam on top) that worked well. The problem was not enough arch support. In Manchester Center VT, I switched out the worn Spencos (foam was coming off) for Sole brand insoles and all was golden.

So, like you're hearing whatever works for you, but another vote for Sole here.