PDA

View Full Version : Hammock vs. Tent weight

amylou
02-02-2011, 17:46
I have an ENO double nest (22 oz) with the slap straps (not pro) (12 oz). I suppose buying the bug net and rain tarp would be a necessity?? which would be (16oz) and (13oz). Around 3.93 lbs all together, plus the underquilt. Is this too much weight vs. a tent?

Helios
02-02-2011, 17:55
Compared to the comfort, no. This is an opinion though. I used to go out with a 13 oz tarp, tvek ground sheet, and z-rest pad. Far less than 2 lbs. I now go out with a HH hammock w/super shelter, and a Superfly tarp. Somewhere around 3 lbs. A bit more weight, far better sleep at night. My choice, and am happy for it.

kayak karl
02-02-2011, 18:03
I have an ENO double nest (22 oz) with the slap straps (not pro) (12 oz). I suppose buying the bug net and rain tarp would be a necessity?? which would be (16oz) and (13oz). Around 3.93 lbs all together, plus the underquilt. Is this too much weight vs. a tent?
YES.
there are 4 elements to hammocking,
1.Underquilt (plus footpad if 3/4 Q)
2.Topquilt
3.Hammock plus suspension
4.Tarp w/ties and stakes.

this would be compared to

1.Tent and ties/stakes
2.Bag
3.Pad
4.Ground cloth

my zero degree hammock gear is 4 lb 14 oz.

http://inlinethumb49.webshots.com/30512/2783211070104593866S500x500Q85.jpg

amylou
02-02-2011, 21:31
Is the underquilt/topquilt a complete replacement of a sleeping bag then?

kayak karl
02-02-2011, 21:53
Is the underquilt/topquilt a complete replacement of a sleeping bag then?
No. all have to be added up. the pad and bag are your insulation, but all 4 must be added to compare. you forgot the pad. that is the insulation from the ground.

takethisbread
02-03-2011, 11:10
I use both.

I prefer the hammock in season and tent in chillier weather.
If weight wasn't an issue and I did a thru again I prefer a two person tent.

My whole hammock set up weighs about 5 lbs

Kerosene
02-03-2011, 13:03
I haven't found a hammock setup that comes close to the lightest weight tents. However, a hammock is *much* more comfortable than sleeping on a good pad and there are more campsite options (at least along most of the AT). I'd probably go with a hammock for a summer hike, while I'm tuning a tarp/bivy setup for cool/cold months.

gunner76
02-03-2011, 20:44
Get rid of the ENO Slap straps as they will streach and you may end up on the ground. Get some polyester straps from Strapworks or http://arrowheadequipment.webs.com/ along with some Dutch Clips for a fast setup.

Hammock are like tents as they are available in all sizes and weights. Check out Sgt Rock's ultra light hammock set up.

I find I can camp out in my hammock in places no tenter could ever think about and sleeping in a hammock is alot more comfortable.

C Seeker
02-03-2011, 21:06
There is not one better than the other. It's just like Ice Cream and Yogurt, which one is better? (we all know ice cream is but...)

I rather have my hammock than my tent, but they both have there goods and bad.
Also you don't need the bug net, I have been using my Eno Double Nest for three years and never needed it. But I also wrap the hammock edges over each other so i'm not exposed to the bugs. I also say you shouldn't buy the ENO hammock tarp, way to heavy.

russb
02-03-2011, 21:08
Some tent setups are lighter than some hammock setups.

Some hammock setups are lighter than some tent setups.

Thus the only real comparison then is to compare specific setups you would use.

For many, the only difference between their potential tent vs hammock setup is the tent/groundcloth vs hammock/tarp because both systems can use the same sleeping bag and pad.

kayak karl
02-03-2011, 21:18
I haven't found a hammock setup that comes close to the lightest weight tents.
then you haven't looked much have you. LOL isn't your name in red letters. i would expect more.

Camping Dave
02-03-2011, 21:20

Hammocks don't really save weight; they just convert it into comfort!

My tarp/hammock/straps setup weighs about the same as my Warmlite 4 season tent and take a little longer to set up, but when the weather mild I always take the hammock.

amylou
02-04-2011, 02:20
Thank you folks! : ) I'll check out that other site. Im glad to know that I have other options regarding the tarp. ENOs are not cheap. I'm glad to hear that going w/o the bug net will work too.

JaxHiker
02-04-2011, 10:38
Some tent setups are lighter than some hammock setups.

Some hammock setups are lighter than some tent setups.

On a recent hike one of the guys had his Gossamer One (I think that's it). That sucker was incredibly light. There's no way my hammock setup could compete. But even he admitted that my hammock was more comfortable.

As for the tarp I love my MacCat Deluxe. Last May it rained for 2-3 days and it did a great job of giving me plenty of room to sit under to get out of the hammock and cook, stretch, etc.

Good luck with your evaluations.

Fiddleback
02-04-2011, 11:20
Start with a hammock and experiment to find what works for you. Be leery of pat answers and the 'standard' way to do things. I like to start simple and cheap, but that's just me.:rolleyes: HYOH. Read, compare and then test your system before hitting the trail hours away from a quick bail out.

Do not expect weight savings from a hammock system but do expect a leap in comfort. IMO, there's a fair amount of convenience to be gained too...there's much less concern about, and time spent, selecting a camp site tempered by the time spent to find two properly sized and spaced trees.;). For three season hanging (down to the mid-20's) I use a 7oz pad but neither a top quilt nor an under quilt; two of the four elements to hammocking. Colder temps require more 'stuff' which results in more pack weight and bulk.

There are always 'options'. Furthermore, I believe a properly designed system is defined by its flexibility...parts can be mixed and matched, added and dropped out, depending on the trip and the conditions to be faced.

FB

beas
02-04-2011, 11:33
www.hammockforums.net (http://www.hammockforums.net)
s
This site can answer all your hammock questions.

I would ditch the suspension that is stock and go with "whoopie slings".
I am lighter than most tent campers with my down underquilt, top quilt,tarp and blackbird hammock.
I did the tarp camping with minimualist stuff but there is nothing like sleeping 8 plus hours and never waking up. I have spent as much as 10 hours in my hammock and only stirred around to take care of nature.

BEAS

beas
02-04-2011, 11:41
www.hammockforums.net (http://www.hammockforums.net)
s
This site can answer all your hammock questions.

I would ditch the suspension that is stock and go with "whoopie slings".
I am lighter than most tent campers with my down underquilt, top quilt,tarp and blackbird hammock.
I did the tarp camping with minimualist stuff but there is nothing like sleeping 8 plus hours and never waking up. I have spent as much as 10 hours in my hammock and only stirred around to take care of nature.

BEAS
http://www.youtube.com/user/shugemery#p/u/44/d7NZVqpBUV0
Oh by the way take a loot at my friend Shug's how to hammock tutorial. it covers it all in a 10 part series.

leaftye
02-04-2011, 12:27
then you haven't looked much have you. LOL isn't your name in red letters. i would expect more.

Is there a hammock that weighs in at one pound? That would be about the weight of a Hexamid with the beak, optional bathtub floor, titanium stakes, dedicated pole and a polycro groundsheet.

Hammocks can be nice, but you have to have suitable trees. I don't, so I finally sold mine. I'd kept it around for about 8 years in hopes that I'd find a way to really get some use out of it, but I'm afraid I'm stuck with sleeping on the ground.

SouthMark
02-04-2011, 12:46
On a recent hike one of the guys had his Gossamer One (I think that's it). That sucker was incredibly light. There's no way my hammock setup could compete. But even he admitted that my hammock was more comfortable.

As for the tarp I love my MacCat Deluxe. Last May it rained for 2-3 days and it did a great job of giving me plenty of room to sit under to get out of the hammock and cook, stretch, etc.

Good luck with your evaluations.

I have a Gossamer Gear "The One" and I have a hammock setup that can compete with it.

"The One" seam sealed - 18 oz
Polycryo Ground Cloth - 1.6 oz
NeoAir - 14 oz
6 stakes - 2.2 oz

Total - 35.8 oz

Nano-7 w/suspension - 7.9 oz
Cuben Fly w/ridgeline and guylines - 8.3 oz
IX UQ - 8.5 oz
4 stakes - .88 oz

Total - 25.58 oz

Substitute JRB No Sniveler UQ for IX and the total to 38.08 oz

Deadeye
02-04-2011, 12:56
There are lots of opinions, here's mine:

I can hammock or tent at the same weight. In either set up, I carry a sleeping bag (EMS Thaw 40, 2#) and a pad (BA Insulated air core short mummy, 19 oz IIRC). My tent is an original Henry Shires 2-person Squall (2#) or I can use my HH ULBA, stock (2#). So you can hammock or tent at the same weight. Underquilts are optional, I find a pad quite sufficient, and have the flexibility of sleeping on the ground - something an UQ can't do.

I prefer to use my Blackbird hammock and a big tarp (Speer winter tarp) instead of my Hennessy, but that's just because I'm getting soft in my old age. It's a bit heavier, but worth the comfort.

amylou
02-04-2011, 17:48
Has anyone else had problems with the slap straps? I'm being cheap, for now. :)

Kerosene
02-04-2011, 21:41
I have a Gossamer Gear "The One" and I have a hammock setup that can compete with it.

"The One" seam sealed - 18 oz
Polycryo Ground Cloth - 1.6 oz
NeoAir - 14 oz
6 stakes - 2.2 oz

Total - 35.8 oz

Nano-7 w/suspension - 7.9 oz
Cuben Fly w/ridgeline and guylines - 8.3 oz
IX UQ - 8.5 oz
4 stakes - .88 oz

Total - 25.58 oz

Substitute JRB No Sniveler UQ for IX and the total to 38.08 oz
Thanks for the info. I'm really not trying to discount a hammock setup, but I notice that the Nano-7 lacks any bug netting, which makes it more equivalent to a tarp setup. I have experience with Hennessey and Clark hammocks, so I wonder if I could sleep as comfortably in "gathered end" hammock.

Weight savings idea for tenters: I use a 10 oz. NeoAir Short with my pack under my feet, which works great (I put the pack in a small plastic trash bag if the pack is wet).

To get a true comparison, I think you need to also add in the entire sleep system and even camp clothing. From what I've heard about the effectiveness of underquilts, one might be able to avoid an overquilt altogether down to a certain temperature, sleeping in the same camp clothes one would wear when tenting, or using a JRB serapi as dual-purpose.

And sorry, Kayak Karl, I spend so much time on WB that I'm not up on the latest stuff over at HammockForums.net. However, while everyone touts the comfort of a hammock, SouthMark's is the first I've encountered that starts to create a comprehensive weight comparison. Then again, I may have missed a post or two around here at some point. ;)

SouthMark
02-04-2011, 22:32
The Nano-7 is my non bug season hammock. I have a hammocks with bug netting, a HH Hyperlight (19 0z with suspension) and a HH Adventure Racer, no longer made (12 oz with suspension). I sleep just as comfortable in the Nano-7 as in my HH Hyperlight. I may order a 2.5 oz bug net for the Nano-7 from PapaSmurf over on hammockforums.net.

I bought the NeoAir regular because at my age I need all the help I can get. I never use it anymore. Just can't bring myself to sleep on the ground anymore The NeoAir makes it more comfortable but I do not like getting on my hands and knees to crawl in and out, nor do I like changing clothes lying down on my back in a tent.

To get a true comparison: to my list above just add a GoLite Ultra 20 (19 oz) to both the tent and the hammock setup and my camp clothes are the same (MH Power Stretch top and bottom, fleece sleeping socks, Montbell Down Inner Jacket, Smart Wool Buff and Black Rock down hat) for each. Both my hammock setup and my tent setup get me into the low 20's but YMMV. I haven't had the tent out since August 2009. The hammock definitely has a steeper learning curve. I had a lot of trial and errors before I got everything down to my liking but now I sleep like a baby all night and I don't do that in my bed at home.

kayak karl
02-05-2011, 00:34
Is there a hammock that weighs in at one pound?
YES check out Stg Rocks thread. 16 oz. setup.
this is where ignorance comes in again on WB. you make statements with no knowledge, but that's OK. its typical.

SassyWindsor
02-05-2011, 00:44
How is cooking from a hammock in cold rainy weather? I would think cooking in the vestibule of my tent would be easier than from a hammock. I do a lot of cooking from my tent in bad weather.

leaftye
02-05-2011, 02:02
this is where ignorance comes in again on WB. you make statements with no knowledge, but that's OK. its typical.

It was a question, not a statement. :rolleyes:

russb
02-05-2011, 05:53
How is cooking from a hammock in cold rainy weather? I would think cooking in the vestibule of my tent would be easier than from a hammock. I do a lot of cooking from my tent in bad weather.

Easy. Being under a tarp hammock is like being in a giant vestibule. The hammock is a chair and you have the stove at your feet, or if you are lucky to find trees with a rock or stump situated just perfectly to act as a table while in the hammock.

Ashman
02-05-2011, 08:23
Depending on the size of your tarp, you can set it up like a big dining fly and others in your group can join you for cooking, eating, socializing. At bedtime you then batten down the hatches to protect from the elements. Your hammock is your chair and it is much more comfortable, IMO, than sitting on the ground eating in a vestibule.

SouthMark
02-05-2011, 10:27
On a recent hike we were hit by heavy rain before reaching our campsite. I had my rain fly quickly and was changing into dry clothes while my tenting friends were still putting up their tents. Now warm and dry I sat in my hammock like chair and proceeded to cook cozy and dry under my fly. In a few moments my friends stuck their heads out of their tents and asked could they come over and cook under my fly. We ate, relaxed and talked (mostly about hammocks) until bedtime under my rain fly.

Both of the friends are now hammock campers.

amylou
02-05-2011, 18:29
Has anyone else had problems with the slap straps?

amylou
02-05-2011, 18:31
oops didn't mean to repost that :)

Trailbender
02-05-2011, 19:06
Maybe I am just weird, but I find sleeping on a ridgerest pad incredibly comfortable. I sleep very well on it.

Kerosene
02-05-2011, 20:30
Maybe I am just weird, but I find sleeping on a ridgerest pad incredibly comfortable. I sleep very well on it.You're weird. You're also still young, although your body should start falling apart soon, now that you've reached the big 3-oh! :banana

gunner76
02-05-2011, 21:54
Also you don't need the bug net

Depends of where you are camping. Down here on the coast you do need a bug net. There are been places on the AT where I tried to cowboy it (sleeping of the ground without a tarp or tent before I got a hammock) and had to set up a tent due the the skeeters.

ENO Slap straps are a waste. They stretch and you will end up on the ground. I own a ENO DN and love it but I would not use the sap straps. Too many other better options out there.

Here a picture of where I removed the stock suspention and changed it to Amsteel, Cinch Plates, added polyester straps and (not in picture) Dutch Clips. Added about 2 ounces to the stock weight of the hammock but I can now set it up in under a minute.

The other picture is of me conducting my afternoon hammock studies (taking a nap)

Bearpaw
02-06-2011, 10:01
oops didn't mean to repost that :)

Yes. They stretch. If you hang in rain, the wet nylon slapstraps stretch a LOT. I started my hang with the hammock maybe 15 inches above the ground. 12 hours later (this was a winter hang), the bottom of my ENO was brushing the brush below me, maybe 4-5 inches off the ground.

I now have a much quicker setup and lighter rig by replacing the ridiculously heavy ENO carabiners with 4 SMC descender/rappel rings and 2 11 foot section of polypropylene webbing (which I bought from strapworks.com). The polypropylene has VERY little stretch, even when wet. The four descender rings weigh about half the weight of the carabiners, and the webbing weighs about 4-5 ounces versus the outrageous weight of the slapstraps.

I'm a big guy so I need a heavier hammock to sustain my weight. I could typically save 1-3 pounds by taking my Six Moon Designs Lunar Solo tarptent, but it is MUCH more comfortable to sleep in my hammock. Seriously, there is NO comparison.

leaftye
02-06-2011, 11:31

Some help finding this thread? I've looked a few times. He's too damn prolific.

nox
02-06-2011, 11:58
Here's his 13 oz setup.. http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=20614 Hammock, tarp, suspension, and guylines.

leaftye
02-06-2011, 12:16
Thanks nox2825. I guess that's appropriate based on the wording of my question. I should have asked about an equivalent hammock set up. My guess is that bug netting and a zipper would add 3 ounces. Unfortunately his tarp has 16 guy out points. I'd have to crunch the numbers, but I believe my stakes average about 0.21 ounces each. That would be a tiny bit heavier, but not bad at all. There are ways to make both setups lighter, but do we really need to go there?

SouthMark
02-06-2011, 12:26
Actually he does not use a zipper. He uses a bug net sock made by PapaSmurf on hammock forums. It weighs 2.5 oz I think. He does not use all 16 guy outs at once. They just provide him with different pitching options.

leaftye
02-06-2011, 12:33
I didn't think he used all 16 guy out points, but picking a number and calculating the total weight doesn't serve any purpose at this point. The bug net sock is a clever idea.

gunner76
02-09-2011, 18:57
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/images/icons/icon1.gif Cooking from a hammock?

Check out some of Shug's videos on hammock camping.

Buffalo Skipper
02-14-2011, 11:21
...Unfortunately his tarp has 16 guy out points. I'd have to crunch the numbers, but I believe my stakes average about 0.21 ounces each. That would be a tiny bit heavier, but not bad at all. There are ways to make both setups lighter, but do we really need to go there?

My custom tarp I ham having made right now will have a total of 16 tie out points. With a normal setup (like a Baker's tent, low in the back and open with a front porch), I will use the two tie outs to trees and two stake outs on each front and back (4 stakes). If the weather is severe, and I tie it all down, I will use 4 tie down points (inward of the corners), and I will fold the ends in and tie them to the existing stakes, making front end doors with the hammock inside). I will also use the 2 tie outs (on each side) in the middle of the tarp (connected by a single line) as "pull outs," opening up the inside of the tarp/tent. This setup uses 6 stakes (with all 14 tie outs), and looks like an old style a-frame tent. Here are sample pics (of a similar tarp) from the Jacks R Better site.
http://www.jacksrbetter.com/DSC00311%20-%20web%20Small.JPG
I set up my Baker hut a little different, but this gives a really good idea...

http://www.jacksrbetter.com/DSC00321%20-%20Web%20Small.JPG

skinewmexico
02-14-2011, 11:32
That's a tent, with a hammock inside! I'd love to use a hammock. Too bad I don't live where there are trees.

wvgrinder
02-28-2011, 19:26
You're weird. You're also still young, although your body should start falling apart soon, now that you've reached the big 3-oh! :banana

Don't worry Trailbender. You still may have a few years left in ya. I'll be 43 in May and still sleep like a baby on the ground. ;)

Spogatz
03-01-2011, 15:45
I could and have on occasion slept in a tent but if I am backpacking I prefer to have a hammock. It is not so much about the weight as it is the ability to walk the next day. If I sleep on the ground I find I am so much more stiff the next day and in the hammock I am also able to sleep through the night so it is a win win.