PDA

View Full Version : Lighting pepsi can alcohol stove

Boonga
01-01-2005, 11:28
I made some pepsi can alcohol stoves. They all work great. My question is: when you light them, do you have to wait until the flames come out of the holes before you put your pot on to boil water? It seems you waste heat if you wait, but maybe the stove won't heat up as fast. Any thoughts??

JojoSmiley
01-01-2005, 11:41
We use a cat stove and I just put the pot on top as soon as I light it. Don't know why you couldn't with the pepsi stove. Nomad says he has used a pepsi stove and does the same. Have you tried it both ways?

C-Stepper
01-01-2005, 11:54
...is what I have (antigravitygear.com). I haven't yet attempted to make my own. With his stove, you have to wait 20-30 sec for the flames to come out the "holes". If not, the flame will get smothered on my stove and you'll have to wait for the stove to cool to re-light it (which only takes a few sec's). The pot goes directly on top of my stove, too.

TJ aka Teej
01-01-2005, 11:56
, do you have to wait until the flames come out of the holes before you put your pot on to boil water?
The flames *are* coming out of the holes, you just can't see them yet.

Peaks
01-01-2005, 12:40
Well, I'm not certain if the flame is coming out the holes or not with my Pepsi Can stove. I put the pot on as soon as it is lit.

The Hammocker
02-06-2005, 00:37
put your hand there to find out (LOL) ;) :D :bse :jump :banana :clap :)

cupcake
02-06-2005, 01:00
i wait until i see the flames coming out of the side holes, otherwise i snuff out the flame by putting my pot on too early --- the tinman of antigravity gear also recommended to hold my pot over the stove during this process to at least start to heat up my pot. that works for me.

Lilred
02-06-2005, 11:10
i wait until i see the flames coming out of the side holes, otherwise i snuff out the flame by putting my pot on too early --- the tinman of antigravity gear also recommended to hold my pot over the stove during this process to at least start to heat up my pot. that works for me.

My stove makes a slight hissing sound when the flames are coming fully out of the jets. When I hear that, I'm good to go.

walkin' wally
02-08-2005, 12:31
I have Tin Man's stove and I have to wait for the flames to come out of the holes before I put the pot on or the stove goes out. This stove works well for me though.

Footslogger
02-08-2005, 12:50
i wait until i see the flames coming out of the side holes, otherwise i snuff out the flame by putting my pot on too early --- the tinman of antigravity gear also recommended to hold my pot over the stove during this process to at least start to heat up my pot. that works for me.===============================
Me thinks your pot may be a tad too close to the stove.

'Slogger

titanium_hiker
02-08-2005, 13:16
I put my pot on too close, and it snuffed it. I then put my pot on a bit higher before it came out of the holes.

titanium_hiker

flyfisher
02-08-2005, 14:47
...is what I have (antigravitygear.com). I haven't yet attempted to make my own. With his stove, you have to wait 20-30 sec for the flames to come out the "holes". If not, the flame will get smothered on my stove and you'll have to wait for the stove to cool to re-light it (which only takes a few sec's). The pot goes directly on top of my stove, too.

If you make a little "ashtray" out of the side of a pepsi can or a little tin tart pan, you will be able to start the Antigravity stove while the pot is resting on the stove.

The "ashtray" need to be about a quarter inch larger than the stove, and the stove with fuel in it is set on it. Then I put about a half teaspoon of alcohol in the tray/pan and light that. (This makes the alcohol in the stove vaporize and lights the small jets.)

blytz
02-08-2005, 19:12
I think that there are a few different types of stoves that people don't realize. On my stove, the jets are the only place that can burn, so as soon as my outer ring is light, I can place my pot on it. But my stove is a little different than most, as I made it.

The Anti-Gravity stove has to actually vaporize some of the fuel before the flame reaches the outer chamber. If you attempt to place the put on it before this, you kill the oxygen on the only spot that's burning, thus extinguishing the flame.

poison_ivy
02-08-2005, 19:30
I have one of Tinman's stoves too. What I usually do is hold my pot up over the stove (a couple of inches above the stove) until the burner holes light and then I set it down on top of it. I'm probably misguided in my thoughts that this will cook my dinner faster, but it makes me feel better nonetheless. :)

- Ivy

Nightwalker
02-08-2005, 20:29
I have one of Tinman's stoves too. What I usually do is hold my pot up over the stove (a couple of inches above the stove) until the burner holes light and then I set it down on top of it. I'm probably misguided in my thoughts that this will cook my dinner faster, but it makes me feel better nonetheless. :)

- Ivy
You're not misguided.

Last week I was on the trail, and slightly underguessed the amount of alcohol needed for supper. When the stove burned out and cooled a little, I added another 1/4 oz (2 Drams) and re-lit it. While I was waiting for the side jets to fire up, I held the pot over the stove. It finished coming to a boil before the side-jets lit off.

:)