PDA

View Full Version : Recommendation on solo hiking tent

dazcakes2010
02-03-2011, 03:36
G'day

Im trying to get into the whole camping scenario and i want to buy myself a solo tent for following reasons

Its lightweight
Less Space
Quicker Setup

I don't really see the use in taking a bigger tent unless its a group trip and other participant's don't have tents. For me smaller = better for above reasons.

Now although i mentioned wanting a one person solo tent i am leaning towards getting a 2 person variation of some designs listed below because its a bit roomier. I could take a partner with me or store my gear in the extra space.

I have looked at the

Euereka Spitfire(my fav, only problem is the 1200mm rating, is this enough to keep rain out?)
Black Wolf - Mantis (Aussie made, high water rating, thin flooring though)
Darche Hornet (Aussie made, Highest water rating and denier, one door only)
Mountain Hardware Sprite 1 (No two person variation, very durable and great pricepoint)

$200 would probably be the height of my budget. Give or take a little. I cant really see the point in spending $500 on a solo tent, to my understanding they were meant to be cheaper and better for above reasons due to sacrificing tent space.

Just a heads up i live in Australia, Queensland to be precise.
Weather only gets to -5 Degrees Celsius. With a decent sleeping bag / pad i think mesh style solo tents with rain fly will do the trick :)

leaftye
02-03-2011, 05:08
Do you use trekking poles?

It may not get very cold out there, but I hear it gets awfully windy. Glad you're doing well enough to post.

dazcakes2010
02-03-2011, 05:35
Don't think i'll be needing trekking poles as im reasonably fit.

I heard a lot of these small tents are good under windy conditions too. Due to the fact that they lie lower to ground and also can be placed in sheltered areas

fiddlehead
02-03-2011, 06:06
Do yourself a favor and get something light but has some room in it.
Something like the Go-Lite ShangriLa 3 tarp/tent.
That way there is room for 2 or 3 friends or a bicycle and is still plenty light enough for backpacking.
There are lighter tents out there but you may feel cramped in them.
THis tent (above) is good in the wind too.

I hitch-hiked across Australia in '93 and wish I would've had a tent like this at the time.

gopher
02-03-2011, 08:12
Take a look at the Lightheart solo. Lightheartgear.com 1.5 person width 27 ounces. The cuben fiber version is only 8 ounces!

Grinder
02-03-2011, 08:14
+1 on the lightheart gear solo.
Light, reasonable price, easy set up

leaftye
02-03-2011, 20:20
Take a look at the Lightheart solo. Lightheartgear.com 1.5 person width 27 ounces. The cuben fiber version is only 8 ounces!

It is 35.5 and 16.5 ounces, respectively, because the OP is reasonably fit.

Camping Dave
02-03-2011, 21:26
Try and Aarn. http://www.aarnpacks.com/index.html

They're local. Well, more local than an American company anyway.

HeartFire
02-03-2011, 22:27

Not! Sorry, but the cuben version of the LightHeart Solo is about 16 oz.

dazcakes2010
02-04-2011, 02:51
The lightheart solo's seem to be quite nice. I'm thinking of ordering a custom solo in brick red with a 2nd door in back wall for vestibule access. Not sure if id worry about extra zipper or not.

Hows the duo compare? The solo looks comfy enough and id be willing to sacrifice having room for another person. Seeing as its my first tent i can use it purely for myself.

Tipi Walter
02-04-2011, 08:21
While tiny tents are popular nowadays, just remember this rule: No part of the sleeping bag should touch the inner tent wall, especially the foot of the bag.

leaftye
02-04-2011, 08:38
Not sure if id worry about extra zipper or not.

For me that would firstly depend on if I was using a sleeping bag or quilt. The zipper on the sleeping bag strongly favors one entrance. A quilt is more versatile and might make that a second entrance useful.

10-K
02-04-2011, 08:41
While tiny tents are popular nowadays, just remember this rule: No part of the sleeping bag should touch the inner tent wall, especially the foot of the bag.

I've finally learned to stick the foot of my sleeping bag inside the extra 30 gallon trash bag I carry.

I knew it would come in handy one day. :)

mweinstone
02-04-2011, 09:05
black diamond megalite. large, quick,light, cheap and the best by far. everyone envys my mid. everyone!

leaftye
02-04-2011, 10:33
Since you're new considering a $300 shelter, what about a Zpacks Hexamid with the netting? I absolutely love mine. With a polycro ground sheet and titanium stakes, you could have a complete shelter for under 11.2 ounces. You might be able to squeeze a second person in the Hexamid Solo, but it'd help if that person were petite and you two were intimate.

Hexamid (http://zpacks.com/shelter/hexamid.shtml)
Polycro (http://gossamergear.com/shelters/shelter-accessories/polycryo-ground-cloth-medium.html)
Stakes (http://www.mountainfitter.com/Shelter/Mountainfitter-5-Stubby-Titanium-Ti-Eye-p541.html)

You still need a pole, but since you're considering a Lightheart, I guess you're prepared for that. The Zpacks pole would add another 1.95 ounces. A bivy might be nice if weather is horrid, but I don't count that as part of the weight because I'd bring a bivy no matter what shelter I use, or even if I didn't bring a shelter at all.

nox
02-04-2011, 11:19
I second Matty's vote for the megalite..I only envy him a little since I have a megamid ( I envy the pound he saves)... Happy tent hunting

mweinstone
02-04-2011, 11:29
yo, noxeema, envy this:my staff dances with mice made me is measured to be my pole. i can leave the carbon fiber home anytime. reduction! i have the optional floor if you want to trade it for anything to eat. its been used maby 2 times. i would allow you to ship me the contents of your fridge for it. it was 79 bucks . or if you have toothpowder or laundry soap, i aint seen them in days. ill let you have my carb fibe pole if you wanna switch out your mosser frenchy.that way i would stop leaving my staff places cause i would know i couldnt pitch without it. of course baltimore jack shares my tent alot so i could use his stomach but he turns on his side and it makes the tent flappy. my apex is exactly the height of his outty when on his back and after a bacon exsplosion.