PDA

View Full Version : Heard this crazy story about Bigelow Mountain

Powder River
02-03-2011, 04:10
On my thru-hike in 2008 I was told this story by a local/former thru hiker that there was a rock outcropping on the West Peak of Bigelow Mountain, and if you climbed down off the front of the rock outcropping there was a plaque to Myron Avery with his actual pickaxe set into to plaque. The individual who told me this story was very specific in his description and he was definitely not talking about the obvious plaque that can be found on Avery Peak. He said you would essentially need to climb down the face of the overlook, and it would be in a spot where very few would ever find it. Aparently Avery can be seen carrying his pickaxe in many photos.

When I arrived at the spot I found a rock outcropping as described, and climbed down a little bit but didn't find anything. Has anybody seen this or even heard of this story? It's possible my leg has been pulled but the story really intrigued me, enough to where if I were headed up to Maine I would head there to look some more.

fiddlehead
02-03-2011, 06:18
I lived at the base of Avery Peak in Carrabassett Valley in '95-'96 and this is the first I heard of it.
Doesn't mean it ain't true.
Just not common knowledge methinks.

10-K
02-03-2011, 06:27
Don't know about the axe, but are you the Powder River that stopped at Pierce Pond, had pancakes and signed the logbook?

Just curious - I remember that name from when I was there looking at the comments from previous hikers.

Powder River
02-03-2011, 18:45
Don't know about the axe, but are you the Powder River that stopped at Pierce Pond, had pancakes and signed the logbook?

Just curious - I remember that name from when I was there looking at the comments from previous hikers.

Sure am. That was one of the best breakfasts of my life. Tim is good people.

Powder River
02-03-2011, 18:51
I lived at the base of Avery Peak in Carrabassett Valley in '95-'96 and this is the first I heard of it.
Doesn't mean it ain't true.
Just not common knowledge methinks.

This was how the story was presented. Something like a secret memorial dedicated to him by colleagues and family either at the completion of the Appalachian Trail or after his death. It was kept a secret so nobody would steal the axe. But that's also a watertight way to present a story designed to pull people's legs - it could never be true yet I could spend a life time looking for it hidden in those cliffs somewhere, and nobody's heard of it because it's a secret!

McPick
02-03-2011, 18:58
I'm certain I heard that story too.

Wait a secy... Come to think of it, I heard it from a hiker named Power River in 2008!!

mweinstone
02-03-2011, 19:59
what if your the undoing of such a memorial?

weary
02-03-2011, 20:06
what if your the undoing of such a memorial?
I doubt if the story is true. It doesn't sound like Avery. Plus Bigelow was not where Avery concentrated his efforts in Maine. Katahdin would be far more llikely.

mweinstone
02-03-2011, 20:12
this is wrong to talk about. your verging on conspiracy to commite grave robbing.memorials are important. the family dosnt wanna ever hear this.

emerald
02-04-2011, 01:00
Most people who would lead others on a snipe hunt couldn't identify a snipe if one walked right up to them.

mweinstone
02-04-2011, 08:36
whats a snipe?

Pedaling Fool
02-04-2011, 08:49
whats a snipe?
http://www.navyformoms.com/group/ship4div291pir922010/forum/topics/what-is-a-snipe

Speakeasy TN
02-04-2011, 08:51
Short fat little birds................ hardly ever found on cliff faces!:)

woodsy
02-04-2011, 16:21
On my thru-hike in 2008 I was told this story by a local/former thru hiker that there was a rock outcropping on the West Peak of Bigelow Mountain, and if you climbed down off the front of the rock outcropping there was a plaque to Myron Avery with his actual pickaxe set into to plaque. The individual who told me this story was very specific in his description and he was definitely not talking about the obvious plaque that can be found on Avery Peak. He said you would essentially need to climb down the face of the overlook, and it would be in a spot where very few would ever find it. Aparently Avery can be seen carrying his pickaxe in many photos.

When I arrived at the spot I found a rock outcropping as described, and climbed down a little bit but didn't find anything. Has anybody seen this or even heard of this story? It's possible my leg has been pulled but the story really intrigued me, enough to where if I were headed up to Maine I would head there to look some more.

Its just below the entrance to the Yeti cave,
most people don't get past it. :eek:

OnlyJohn
02-04-2011, 16:25
whats a snipe?
If you need to ask, you need to be taken on a hunt.

TJ aka Teej
02-04-2011, 21:36
On my thru-hike in 2008 I was told this story by a local/former thru hiker that there was a rock outcropping on the West Peak of Bigelow Mountain, and if you climbed down off the front of the rock outcropping there was a plaque to Myron Avery with his actual pickaxe set into to plaque.

Avery never used a pick-axe. There's no 'secret memorial'.

elray
02-04-2011, 21:42
Too bad if is isn't true, it's a cool story and a large part of the Trail's mystique revolves around legends and lore.

emerald
02-05-2011, 01:32
What's a snipe?

A bird with a long nose that probes in muck for worms. Some people do actually hunt and shoot them, but it's about as pointless as popping timberdoodles. They're much more fun to watch.

All About Birds | Wilson's Snipe (http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Wilsons_Snipe/lifehistory)

Bronk
02-05-2011, 02:07
Maybe Powder River is the one pulling somebody's leg...

fehchet
02-05-2011, 05:05
What about off to the right of the Fire Warden's stairs?

walkin' wally
02-06-2011, 21:43
Sorry guys but there are two kinds of snipes One is indeed a bird that is short and fat with a long bill .The other is, well, you just need a large burlap bag and a flashlight and I will take you out snipe hunting some night. You need to be quiet and wait...

mad4scrapping
02-06-2011, 22:56
I went on a snipe hunt once when I was a girl scout. I think we took a pick axe with us. :cool: