PDA

View Full Version : New Tent?

Don H
02-03-2011, 07:54
So I'm thinking about buying a new tent for my thru in March. I have an older TT Rainbow that's served me well but I have some concerns about it. I've seam sealed it several times to stop leaks through the pole sleeves. Also the pole has become very difficult to connect at the grommet, almost like the tent shrunk and now the pole is too long. I really struggled to get it set up the other day in my basement, I can only imagine trying to get it set up in freezing, windy weather! I like the free standing option and the room, I don't like the pole set up. So maybe it's time for a new tent.

I'm looking at the SMD Lunar Solo, or Lightheart Solo but am open to other tents.

If you have experience with either of these tents or something similar I like to here your opinions and recommendations.

stranger
02-03-2011, 08:12
Just so you know...you can simply remove the end of the pole, the part that enters the grommet, and literally cut the pole down with a hacksaw, this will solve your tension issue, just make sure you don't cut off too much. This seems to be a common issue with Tarptent for some reason.

Don H
02-03-2011, 08:26
I considered doing that but thought I would damage the shock cord inside. Thanks.
Still I think it's time for a new tent.

Roots
02-03-2011, 08:31
Lightheart Solo! I have the Duo and it is an amazing tent. The solo is VERY roomy. It's actually listed as a 1+ person tent and it means it. The new vestibule system she has added (optional) is a great feature as well.

Don H
02-03-2011, 17:02
Just so you know...you can simply remove the end of the pole, the part that enters the grommet, and literally cut the pole down with a hacksaw, this will solve your tension issue, just make sure you don't cut off too much. This seems to be a common issue with Tarptent for some reason.

I did cut the pole on my Rainbow down 3/8 of an inch. Twisting the end got it out of the pole but the shock cord is attached to it. Instead of removing the cord I cut the pole using a small tubing cutter then tin snips to cut the piece in two halves allowing it to fall free of the shock cord. Push the shock cord and end piece back in and done.

Outdoor76
02-04-2011, 10:01
Lightheart Solo - period! We just got in some of the new Solo's with the wedge/outer pole option and its one of the most versatile 2lb tents we've ever seen.
If you haven't seen the wedge, its awesome.

Sickmont
02-04-2011, 10:02
That new SMD Skyscape is making me drool uncontrollably.

Outdoor76
02-04-2011, 10:14
The SMD is awesome - no question. The stargaze option on the LHG is more open and that wedge option does the same thing as the Skyskape. LHG has solo's available now (multiple colors) and if you're thru-hiking, there's hardly anyone more accessible than Judy at LHG God forbid you have any issues. Ron makes amazing stuff for sure, but Southeast convenience is a big plus for those on the trail.

Don H
02-06-2011, 00:02
I bought a SMD Lunar Solo. Ordered it and got it in three days!

Haven't set it up yet but here's my thoughts so far.
The Lunar seems to be well made with straight tight stitching.
The material in the Lunar is different than what my Tarptent Rainbow is made of. The Lunar material seems to have a heavier coating on it.
I'm a little concerned over the tie out straps. Seems like the buckles could easily break or the straps could slip out of the buckles since they're not doubled over and sewn on the ends. I like the Triptease lines and tensioners on the Tarptents better.

I need to figure out a way to set it up inside to seal it since we have snow on the ground here. If anyone is interested I'll post some more info as I check it out and use it on my thru starting next month.