PDA

View Full Version : My Equipment List for 2011

Shadowstep
02-03-2011, 10:57
Hey everyone, I plan on leaving May 1st from Springer, going fast, cheap and lightweight. Here's my gear, built alot myself and kept down to a bare minimum.

The following items were sewn myself to save money and weight, using kits from rayjardine.com:

Tarp/Bug Tent - $123
Alpine Quilt - $90
Backpack - $58
Sleeping Pad - $17
Thread - $21
TOTAL - $309

My clothing was mostly bought at Barre Army Navy in Vermont and Walmart:

Rip-stop Poncho - $23
Wool Cap - $5
ECWCS Polypro Top and Bottoms - $30
Sniper Mittens - $10
Starter Compression Shorts - $10
Starter Compression Tee - $10
Mesh Nylon Shorts - $10
Starter Charger Sneakers - $20
EMS Fast Mtn Liner Socks x3 - $15
TOTAL - $133

The last few things to buy:

Camp Inn Stuff Sack - $6
Trash Compactor Bags - $4
50' Para Cord - $4
Aqua Mira - $9
Bandanna - $2
Sanitizer - $1

Gear Total - $468

The rest of my list I already own:

A.T. Data Book
Soda bottles for water
Plastic spoon
Duct Tape
Pocket Knife
Light
Paper/Pen
Toothbrush, paste, TP

Like I said, keeping it down as low as possible (cost and weight). I know some can't give up the stove and all the extras, but I am used to it. Any question, comments, let me know. Happy Hiking!

takethisbread
02-03-2011, 11:05
Very thrifty!

Not as Thrifty as Wildman! I think that guy spent less than $100 on his whole hike, but still kudos !

Snake Farm
02-03-2011, 18:21
Congratulations on getting all your gear! Props for making a lot of it yourself too.

How much does all of it weigh?

Llama Legs
02-03-2011, 21:33
very retro. I like it...

I'll be sectioning I40 to Erwin sometime in the second half of May. You'll likely catch me. I'll be using the old GoLite version of Ray's backpack (GoLite Breeze, black). Hope to see you !

Razor
02-04-2011, 01:12
Don't leave just yet. It can be still cold in Georgia in May. My water froze several nights. It might be warm but you still need cold weather gear-especially over the Roan section. And if not there, futher up north.Add pants and a shirt and a jacket. The cap and mittens are a great start but need to have a few more cloths.

Shadowstep
02-04-2011, 10:24
I'm not leaving until May 1st.

John B
02-04-2011, 10:28
Ear plugs. Do not leave home without them. A couple of bucks that will help shut out the noise of the chainsaw snoring in shelters should you ever stay in one.

Shadowstep
02-04-2011, 10:35
Don't leave just yet. It can be still cold in Georgia in May. My water froze several nights. It might be warm but you still need cold weather gear-especially over the Roan section. And if not there, futher up north.Add pants and a shirt and a jacket. The cap and mittens are a great start but need to have a few more cloths.

Thanks for your opinion, I agree that to some this may look like too little, but my base layer is made for extreme cold and is heavier. I have used this stuff already. My quilt has an Alpine upgrade and is rated at 20 degrees and I can support this claim. I have alot of experience with lightweight hiking, and alot of people see me or hear what I use and are surprised or concerned, but this will keep me comfortable in May.

Shadowstep
02-04-2011, 10:42
Ear plugs. Do not leave home without them. A couple of bucks that will help shut out the noise of the chainsaw snoring in shelters should you ever stay in one.

I actually have no intention of staying in a shelter. Perhaps I will camp near one occasionally, but what I love about tarp set ups is their versatility, allowing me to camp wherever in the woods.