PDA

View Full Version : snow shovel needed for AT?

Special-K
02-03-2011, 12:45
I'm staring March 1st and was curious to wether a snow shovel is needed. I have a small compact Black Diamond, and was wondering if it's something needed to clear out camp or am i just over thinking it. It's just the 86+ storms we've had, got me thinking. I already tried searching this, couldn't find anything. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

sixguns01
02-03-2011, 12:56
I'm staring March 1st and was curious to wether a snow shovel is needed. I have a small compact Black Diamond, and was wondering if it's something needed to clear out camp or am i just over thinking it. It's just the 86+ storms we've had, got me thinking. I already tried searching this, couldn't find anything. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Have used this but not on the AT. Snowclaw Guide Shovel works great for camp. Only 6oz.

http://www.campmor.com/snowclaw-guide-shovel.shtml?source=CI&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=54150WC

bigcranky
02-03-2011, 15:12
I have a nice shovel, never needed it on the AT even in the winter.

Spokes
02-03-2011, 15:17
Have used this but not on the AT. Snowclaw Guide Shovel works great for camp. Only 6oz.

http://www.campmor.com/snowclaw-guide-shovel.shtml?source=CI&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=54150WC

I think most AT thru's would want to use it as a frisbee.

Special-K
02-03-2011, 15:22
thanks for the input everyone

Slo-go'en
02-03-2011, 15:23
Maybe if you were starting in Maine on March 1st. On second thought, I'd go with a 5 hp snow blower :rolleyes:

sbhikes
02-03-2011, 15:35
A snow shovel to hike a trail? Are you serious?

Sickmont
02-03-2011, 15:52
I think most AT thru's would want to use it as a frisbee.

Honestly, when i first saw it, i thought it would make an awesome sled for going down the hills on.

Special-K
02-03-2011, 16:36

hey don't knock me for asking

Don H
02-03-2011, 17:27
I certainly hope not but the way this weather has been who knows! Remember the nay sayers and don't lend them your shovel. They will rue the day they made fun of you:)

LoneRidgeRunner
02-03-2011, 17:40
I have considered carrying a small shovel on Winter trips before but decided I could just use my boots to kick back the snow (while wearin em of course) to clear a spot to set up my tent. Others say they just stomp the snow down as level as possible and then wait about 15 minutes for it to set up and then set their tent up on it. Only problem I see with that is is this....if the snow melts or softens before you break camp your guy out stakes could pull out and leave your tent vulnerable to "may-tagging" if it gets really windy...

Spokes
02-03-2011, 17:42
Honestly, when i first saw it, i thought it would make an awesome sled for going down the hills on.

hehehehehehee. Does it float? Use it to ford river crossings? Maybe as a boogie board? It has handles, maybe one of your shelter mates can serve you breakfast in bed on it? Lots of possibilities!

leaftye
02-03-2011, 20:16
I have a Snowclaw. It works well if you can accept its limitations.

Special-K
02-03-2011, 20:20
thanks guys!

Blissful
02-03-2011, 20:45
Sure could have used it last year! I only needed a shovel once in '07 and there was one at a shelter to clear a place for my tent. Without it I would have made do with my foot.

sbhikes
02-03-2011, 21:32
hey don't knock me for asking

How would I know? I'm from Santa Barbara. We don't have snow.

Special-K
02-03-2011, 21:56
How would I know? I'm from Santa Barbara. We don't have snow.

Sorry sbhikes, I didn't mean to take such offense to it. but with the winter were having I'm thinking of bringing a truck and plow down with me to hike the AT.

LIhikers
02-03-2011, 22:26
If you really need a shovel use your orange, plastic, potty shovel.
You are bringing one, right? Everyone does you know :D

Graywolf
02-03-2011, 22:40

When I clicked it, I thought it was in the humor catagory..:eek:

Special-K
02-03-2011, 22:40
hahaha thanks for the tip

Croft
02-03-2011, 23:29
Why ever would you clear or tamp down snow to set up your tent? Just lay the tent on top of the snow. Lay down on it before set-up so you formfit the snow underneath to your body. Most comfortable nights of sleep are on the soft snow. And forget the metal stakes--use sticks for deadman stakes. They hold better in the snow anyway.

Ox97GaMe
02-04-2011, 01:05
If you take one with you, you are welcome to shovel the trail in the Smokies between Ekanetlee Gap and Russell Field shelter. Let me know when you plan to be through that section and I will have dinner waiting for you when you get to Russell.

I actually had a hiker make the comment to me last spring.... Why havent the maintainers cleared the snow from the trail in the Smokies. I thought it was your job to make sure the hikers could get through.

I offered to let him carry one of the club's shovel. Can you imagine how long it would have taken last winter to remove 4-6 ft of snow from 70 miles of trail. What a moron.

The good news for hikers this year is that so far (knock on wood) we have very few trees reported down. Last spring, there were nearly 100 tres per mile in some areas around the park.

Be safe out there Special K. Maybe we will see you in the park. :)

Toolshed
02-04-2011, 01:21
I think it was a straight up question. I think Special K was asking about using it for camping, not Hiking. FWIW, We have used them for years in the ADKs. When there is 4-10 feet of snow, a shovel comes in handy for cutting out your basecamp, kitchen and even shelves to hold your gear.

As far as tamping down the snow, or shoveling a few feet away before laying out your tent, I always do it.
The last thing I want is to set up my tent on soft snow and start sinking into it and it isn't the whole tent floor that sinks into it, just the hip/shoulder section that you are sleeping on - even worse with a 2-3 man tent.
Everytime someone comes in or out of your tent and knocks hoar frost down or drags in snow, it slides downhill. Into the nice little pocket you are sleeping in. Where it will melt and run under your sleeping pad or get absorbed by your bag. Not fun.

Bucherm
02-04-2011, 01:48
I think the OP was trolling. Either that or, well, it's apropos that he has "special" in his handle.

AeroGuyDC
02-04-2011, 05:32
I'm a tad bit disappointed by the sarcastic responses in this thread. The guy had a question: either you have something meaningful to contribute or you dont. If you don't, then take your barbs elsewhere. :cool:

Bucherm
02-04-2011, 06:41
I'm a tad bit disappointed by the sarcastic responses in this thread.

You do know what message board you're posting on, right?