PDA

View Full Version : Clothing for mid-March start???

Brian321
02-03-2011, 14:30
Ok, I plan on starting a NOBO hike in mid-march, I have most of my gear but I am really bad at picking the right clothing(I usually just wear cotton which I know is bad for a thru hike). If you guys could recommend me some good clothes for my hike I would appreciate it.

Also the cheaper the better as im trying to save my money for the hike itself. The only thing I have now is polypro long underwear that I usually use for caving. I have no idea what is needed for a thru hike.

Thanks for all the help.

Brian

bigcranky
02-03-2011, 15:09
Clothes to wear on the trail:
light base layer top, synthetic or wool, short or long sleeve
synthetic briefs if you wear them
light long john bottoms
nylon running shorts or zipoff pants, like the REI Sahara
light fleece hat and very light gloves
mid-weight wool socks
trail runners that fit well

Clothes to wear in camp or on breaks:
mid-weight base layer top, wool or synthetic, like the Capilene 3
mid-weight base layer bottoms, same
down or synthetic puffy jacket, or a 300-weight fleece jacket
warm fleece hat and gloves
thick wool socks for sleeping
Many hikers bring Crocs or similar for camp shoes. Very popular.

Other clothes:
waterproof and breathable rain shell, like the Marmot Precip jacket
rain pants, same thing
nylon ball cap
gaiters -- some people won’t hike without them. I like them in snow.

Spokes
02-03-2011, 15:11
All you need to know is here (http://www.backpacker.com/november_08_pack_man_/articles/12659?page=4) (ignore the pop-up). Tweak it for summer.

Cheers!

Brian321
02-04-2011, 01:03
Thank you guys very much, it helps alot.

Can you tell me if I am thinking correctly here, If I start in march and finish around august I will be hiking in winter conditions in the beginning summer in the middle months and winter conditions again towards the end?

Thanks,
Brian

Wags
02-04-2011, 01:27
a good down jacket (and there are plenty of sales at the end of winter) will go the whole 2000+ with you...

bigcranky
02-04-2011, 10:40
If you start March 1, that's late winter in the Southern Appalachians. It can still get cold at night, but the averages will be around 30 or so for the low and 50 for the high (but it can be single digits at night or 75 during the day.)

By early May you'll have great spring weather, then it'll be summer through the mid-Atlantic. If you finish in August you'll still be in late-summer weather in Maine -- which is different from August in Georgia, but it's not winter yet. You'll want some cold-weather gear and clothing. By the time you get there, you'll know what you need.

Brian321
02-04-2011, 13:19
If you start March 1, that's late winter in the Southern Appalachians. It can still get cold at night, but the averages will be around 30 or so for the low and 50 for the high (but it can be single digits at night or 75 during the day.)

By early May you'll have great spring weather, then it'll be summer through the mid-Atlantic. If you finish in August you'll still be in late-summer weather in Maine -- which is different from August in Georgia, but it's not winter yet. You'll want some cold-weather gear and clothing. By the time you get there, you'll know what you need.

Ok, Thank you very much! I was just going to pack my winter gear all the way to maine so I could wear it again when it got cold, but If its still going to be summer I might just ship it home.

Brian

bigcranky
02-04-2011, 15:00
Ok, Thank you very much! I was just going to pack my winter gear all the way to maine so I could wear it again when it got cold, but If its still going to be summer I might just ship it home.

Brian

You mean you were going to *carry* your winter gear all the way to Maine? Or ship it to yourself?

You'll want to have some warm clothing back before you hit the Whites. Even in August it can get chilly at night. But you don't need to carry it the whole way.

Brian321
02-04-2011, 15:09
You mean you were going to *carry* your winter gear all the way to Maine? Or ship it to yourself?

You'll want to have some warm clothing back before you hit the Whites. Even in August it can get chilly at night. But you don't need to carry it the whole way.
Yes, I meant carry. I would prefer not to have to ship myself stuff but that might change once im out on the trail.

Brian

Brian321
02-05-2011, 12:46
Ok, I am trying to decide on a jacket. I am thinking about Cabela's Polartec® Classic 300 fleece Jacket. My concern is how much is this going to weigh compared to a down jacket.

Also is down going to be good on the AT since I hear it rains alot.

Thanks,
Brian

bigcranky
02-05-2011, 13:58
Down is fine on the AT, just keep it dry, no biggie.

Polartec 300 is nice and warm, but it's heavier and bulkier than it needs to be for the warmth. A nice down sweater is a great choice. Some people like synthetic puffy jackets like the Micropuff, too.

Trailbender
02-05-2011, 19:17
All you need to know is here (http://www.backpacker.com/november_08_pack_man_/articles/12659?page=4) (ignore the pop-up). Tweak it for summer.

Cheers!

Everyone is different. That list would not work at all for my hiking preference.

DapperD
02-05-2011, 20:16

Cheers!

Everyone is different. That list would not work at all for my hiking preference.I agree with you completely on this. For myself this would be completely inadequate for winter, and I have stated this in a previous thread:http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showpost.php?p=1035701&postcount=18 What works for one person doesn't mean it will be universally successful or adequate for everyone:sun