PDA

View Full Version : Winter CDT Planning

Chance09
02-03-2011, 16:24
Just wondering how everyone's CDT planning is going? I got yogis book finally, she'd been out of copies for a while, and have worked my way through it.

I'm a little intimidated to be honest, but i always am before such an undertaking. I know it will pass the second I hit the trail.

Gear list is changing a bit. I just picked up a 23 oz BPL synthetic quilt that i'm hoping to work into a sleep system that will keep me comfy around 10 degrees. A little scared of being soaked to the bone, down bag and all, after northern Washington on the PCT and not being able to get warm.

Almost have my website up and running. I hope to do this one for charity and just to have all my info, blog, videos in one place.

Anyways, just thinking thoughts of the trail to pass the time through the winter. Hope everyone is doing well.

gardenhead
02-03-2011, 16:42
Chance,
You headed nobo or sobo?
I'm not really doing much planning, but I'll be out there.
I'd prefer to start in NM, but I haven't looked at any snow reports or anything yet.

What charity will you be hiking for?

Sly
02-03-2011, 17:04
Besides having valuable town data, Yogi's book saves hours of planning mail drops for maps and guides alone.

A good portion of the time on the trail should be spent air/sun drying your gear. Sometimes it becomes more important than hiking.

ARambler
02-03-2011, 18:22
Besides having valuable town data, Yogi's book saves hours of planning mail drops for maps and guides alone.

A good portion of the time on the trail should be spent air/sun drying your gear. Sometimes it becomes more important than hiking.

Every year is different. Many days I spent an hour under a tree hiding from hail. I only spent a couple hours total drying gear. It only takes half an hour to dry plus a minute to chase down the gear that blows away

Chance09
02-07-2011, 15:43
I'll be hiking to raise money for the American Leadership Academy if all goes as planned. Played a huge role in my life and I think that in my two weeks there I probably learned more than i did in college.

I'm planning on heading Sobo i think. Mainly just so I can start later and save more money until then. Back to back thrus haven't left me with much of a bank account.

I am hoping to do a two week to a month long warm up on the AT to get in good shape for the trail. We'll see how that goes.

My quilt came in the mail today. Now i just need some cold weather.

Yamagame
02-10-2011, 23:09
Hey Chance,
We did a week-long warm-up on the AT in ME from Piazza Rocks to North Horn and back before heading SOBO on the CDT. I think it's smart to train on the AT vs. the PCT because a lot of the up and downs and PUDS on the CDT, esp. in Montana and Colorado, are more like the AT. If I could train for the CDT again, I'd hit the AT for longer and with a heavier pack (since the resupply points on the CDT are generally further apart and you generally have to cary more water). Good luck on your planning!