PDA

View Full Version : Fuel canisters for thru

-Ghost-
02-03-2011, 17:26
I read the Fuel Canister FAQ which helped some but I was wondering how difficult it is to get canisters along the way and if this is something I should plan out real well before I go or if I can wing it and be ok? I was really hoping to be able to wing it and buy as I go. As of right now I only have 2 mail drops planned (one at Fontana Dam and one in Pearisburg, VA to get my summer gear).

So should I plan out some drops specifically for my fuel canisters? Or maybe just include extras in a bounce box? Or maybe even just mail canisters ahead from the trail? Or is buying as I go an option?

Thanks guys!

-Ghost-
02-03-2011, 17:31
Also one in Hanover, NH to get winter stuff back. Forgot that one.

Spokes
02-03-2011, 17:37
I hiked with a fellow in 2009 that used canister fuel and he had no problems the entire way. He bought them whenever he was in a town with an outfitter but mostly grabbed half empties out of the hiker boxes.

I cooked on an alchy stove and never had any problems finding fuel.

Cheers!

Roughin' It
02-03-2011, 18:55
I used a Jetboil and never had trouble finding or buying fuel. Like spokes said, there are usually some with enough fuel for a meal or two in hiker boxes if times get desperate...

bigcranky
02-03-2011, 19:08
Mailing canisters is a pain -- it's legal, according to the P.O. regs, but it requires special handling and can only go surface mail. And some post office employees won't take any package with fuel.

Wing it -- you'll be fine. You might need to pay a little more attention to your fuel situation, but you can get the canisters at plenty of places along the way.

-Ghost-
02-03-2011, 19:18
Excellent to hear. I will wing it! Maybe just send a canister or 2 to Fontana with my one food drop.

Tagless
02-03-2011, 20:20
You might want to check into the cost of shipping fuel. Last year when I checked before a Long Trail hike it was RIDICULOUSLY high.

You'll be fine "winging it". My wife and I did on our 09 thru hike, paying attention to the same information you have in hand.

Have a great hike!

bishopj
02-03-2011, 20:55
Their is a article on the top left half the page under re-supply that tell you how you
can mail them they have to go ground it take about 15 days for them to
get where they are gone and if some one would not take them at the post office
they were wrong.Same article under give the regs on mailing them you can print it out and take with you. So if they say they won't take them show them the regs.It only one page.

coheterojo
02-03-2011, 23:11
I stopped buying canister fuel in northern Virginia and was able to survive off of the fuel left by nervous nellies in hiker boxes and shelters all the way to Maine. I was back on the trail a couple of weeks ago and found two more partially full containers at Groundhog Creek and Walnut Mtn shelters. Not that I suggest this as a method of resupply but I still find it remarkable that it worked for me.

rainmaker
02-03-2011, 23:47
I hiked with a fellow in 2009 that used canister fuel and he had no problems the entire way. He bought them whenever he was in a town with an outfitter but mostly grabbed half empties out of the hiker boxes.

I cooked on an alchy stove and never had any problems finding fuel.

Cheers!

D**n Spokes, have you had an operation?

Blissful
02-04-2011, 00:00
I have hiked north and south with fuel canisters. Never had any issue at all mailing or receiving it.
Your gonna most likely have to mail one to yourself in Maine. And CT since the outfitter in Kent may not have them.

As far as finding them in hiker boxes or shelters, most are near empty. It will require you frequenting shelters, hostels, etc. I would not rely on them. Yeah you can throw the dice but I'd rather have nice meal at the end of the day and not have to worry about finding one. And any I did find (like one or two) I left for those that really need it, since I know I can afford to buy one or took the time to mail myself one.

Picking up a mail drop is no big thing. Unfortunately so many on here demonize them (and many who have never hardly used them) that no one thinks they can walk to a PO and pick up mail. Its no big deal!

Bucherm
02-04-2011, 00:48

Seriously!

The Hormones must've kicked in so he could stop shaving. :D

XCskiNYC
02-04-2011, 01:26
As far as finding them in hiker boxes or shelters, most are near empty. It will require you frequenting shelters, hostels, etc. I would not rely on them. Yeah you can throw the dice but I'd rather have nice meal at the end of the day and not have to worry about finding one. And any I did find (like one or two) I left for those that really need it, since I know I can afford to buy one or took the time to mail myself one.

I haven't seen any left at shelters or anywhere else along the trail. Mailing sounds like a pretty good idea because there are so many post offices in tiny towns not that far from the trail.

Ron Haven
02-05-2011, 01:09
I used a Jetboil and never had trouble finding or buying fuel. Like spokes said, there are usually some with enough fuel for a meal or two in hiker boxes if times get desperate...before they were no fuel in Hiawassee but I have the canisters at Hiawassee Inn now.

Gipsy
02-05-2011, 01:29
Maybe carry a second stove as a back-up. Maybe a cat can stove, pepsi stove. I prefer the choke hazard stove (0.5 oz)from minibull designs due to weight and packability.

Spokes
02-05-2011, 01:33

Seriously!

The Hormones must've kicked in so he could stop shaving. :D

hehehehehehehee.......... It's just cabin fever boys!

takethisbread
02-05-2011, 18:44
i started with 3 canisters with me. after a while i just carried the one that i was using was able to get some sent to me or buy them along the way...not too many problems with them.