PDA

View Full Version : New Boots

208AT
02-03-2011, 19:08
I need new boots,and I want to keep them around $100 because I'm still growing.Any ideas on what kind to get?

leaftye
02-03-2011, 19:55
If you want suggestions, you need to tell us what kind you want to get. What traits are you looking for in boots other than a price around $100?

208AT
02-03-2011, 20:12
I want something with good ankle support,waterproof would be nice,but water resistant would be fine.Good treads(we'll be in mud),and fairly light.

Llama Legs
02-03-2011, 21:53
It's all about fit and you'll want plenty of toe room. I think there's an EMS in Cleveland. Otherwise find a real backpacker's store. You can spend a little less on boots (your $100 might do it) but get 3 really good pairs of hiking socks. I have never been super excited about the fit of footwear that I bought online, even if I "saved" money.

Special-K
02-03-2011, 21:58
as a current employee, i do not believe there is an EMS farther than western new york. Buuuuuut there is probably an REI

Llama Legs
02-03-2011, 22:14
as a current employee, i do not believe there is an EMS farther than western new york. Buuuuuut there is probably an REI

no REI either...looks like a wasteland!

Special-K
02-03-2011, 22:42
jeeze! that blows!

grayfox
02-04-2011, 00:20
208AT, you might want to think about using a pair of high top mostly leather upper basketball shoes, which you may already have and won't mind trashing because you will need a new pair next year anyway, as hiking boots this summer. People think that an agressive tread will be good for muddy trails but they just end up carrying around a lot of dirt that sticks in between the knobs of the tread and makes the bottom of the shoe flat and slippery. Basketball treads are great on slippery rocks. I had a pair that I hiked with on the Florida Trail which is muddy when it is under water or not dry sand. I wore a pair of wool socks in them and just stayed wet all day then changed into sandals at night to dry my feet. Just a thought.