PDA

View Full Version : LED Lenser H7

10-K
02-03-2011, 23:10
Just a heads up for anyone looking for a headlamp for serious night hiking I can personally recommend the LED Lenser H7. LED Lenser is a German company that I only recently learned about.

I used this headlamp for night hiking on the Foothills Trail this week and it's the brightest headlamp I think I've ever seen.

This is it: http://www.zweibrueder.com/ENG/produkte/html_highperformance/html_Hserie/h7.php?id=h7 and I picked it up off Amazon for $44.25. The package includes 3 lithium batteries and they recommend that you only use lithium batteries with the unit.

The package says 150 lumens but the website says 170 - all I know is that it lights up the trail like nothing I've ever seen. One of the neat things about it is that you can adjust the beam so that it projects light over a large area (more diffuse) or focused tightly on a small area (very bright).

Weight 4.0 oz exactly with 3 lithium batteries on my scale compared to 2.7 for my Petzel and 2.5 for my Princeton.

Definitely a keeper - I guess it could even be considered dual use gear because you could use it as a headlight on your car if you had to. :)

im lost
02-04-2011, 02:02
We been using them for over a year now. only problem is where the wire goes into the battery pack. had to get mine replaced newer one has strain guard. oh yeah don't hike in front of one you will get sunburn.

im lost
02-04-2011, 02:06
forgot to add having adjustable output is great for conserving batteries when around camp.

Awol1970
02-04-2011, 09:11
Is coast led lenser the same company? I've carried one of their small tactical flashlights on my hip for work for years. Bombproof and bright. They are similiar to what the po-po carries. Very similiar actually. I was first to arrive @ a Habitat for Humanity work site a few months ago before sunrise. A Gwinnett County po-po arrived and i came out of the house to meet him. I guess he thought I was a thief. He shined his light in my eyes and I shined mine in his. I thought it was funny...him, not so much.:D

Sickmont
02-04-2011, 10:09
Does it have or come with a red filter? Thats important to me.

leaftye
02-04-2011, 10:15
There are three headlights that I would consider right now.

The first is the Zebralight H51. It weighs 3 ounces with a rechargeable AA battery and headband. Weight can be reduced further with a lithium AA battery. It gets up to 200 lumens, but has some really dim modes that are good for reading in a bivy and extending battery life out to 16 days.

The next headlamp that I would consider is the Spark ST6-400. I'm guessing at the name. The 400 represents how much lumens it would output, but there have been hints that it will put out more. It weighs 5.3 ounces with the battery and headband. I can't even imagine how bright this is. I mean it's not car headlight bright...that's like 900 lumens for a halogen bulb...but it's what I'd want if I had to scare off another mountain lion several times during the night again. The only problem is that recharging the battery could be logistically challenging. It can take a certain type of lithium battery, but that might only be found in bigger grocery stores. They're still designing this, so it might be something I'd consider for a thru hike if they take my suggestion to include a very low output mode that should also greatly extend battery life.

The last light I would consider, and I do have one, is the Fenix HP10. It's very bright at 210 lumens and uses AA batteries. The battery pack is in the rear for good balance and the headband is snug, so there's no worries of it falling off....in fact, I usually sleep with it on. This is my #1 choice when I'm going to be out for about a week and plan on doing a lot of night hiking and reading at night.

If I was to thru hike again, I'd start with the Fenix because I like to start early in the season when the nights are still long. When the days get longer I would switch to the Zebralight. The Spark would not go on a thru hike because I have a strong preference for AA batteries, although that 400+ lumen output is awfully tempting.

cindy2012car
02-17-2011, 03:45
:sun:sun:sun:sun:sun:sun:sun:sun:sun:sun:sun:sun I am in love with the artical,it is so excellent~~ :sun:sun:sun:sun:sun:sun
I love the style~~Hope author will get more attention~~

bridal wedding gowns (http://www.goodgoodschina.com/categories/wedding-dresses/bride-wedding-gowns)
vera wang wedding dresses (http://www.goodgoodschina.com/categories/wedding-dresses/designer-wedding-dresses)