PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning synthetic clothing

amac
02-04-2011, 08:07
How do you get the stink out? I've used ammonia and I've used vinegar. I tried simply washing in the washing machine with one cup added to the wash, I've tried soaking in a bucket over night. Like one would expect, they come out fresh and clean smelling immediately. However within a short day or two of even light use, the old stink is back.

What's the secret??

leaftye
02-04-2011, 08:20
Are you washing in hot water?

scooterdogma
02-04-2011, 09:26
There is a sports detergent for synthetic clothes called, "Win". It is fairly new on the market. We have Kroger supermarkets and they have it in the detergent aisle. I have used it and it works 90% of the time. I have found if I use from the beginning of sweating in a piece of new clothing it works as advertised. Some of my old stuff, it worked on some, not on the others, go figure? I haven't given up on the 10%, I just throw them in the wash every time I use the stuff. Caveat, I am no way affiltiated with the manufacturer, advertiser or any company doing business with this company. I'm just like clean smelling clothes and I am too cheap to throw away perfectly good clothes, LOL.

Trailbender
02-04-2011, 09:35
I washed the clothing on my thru in hostels, ect. I still use it in my hiking, and have not noticed an overwhelming stench. If you stick your nose right in it, it stinks a bit, but is not bad.

Rick500
02-04-2011, 09:51
OxiClean along with regular laundry detergent works well for me.

Majortrauma
02-04-2011, 09:59
I heard that Listerine works. Can anyone verify that one?

Sickmont
02-04-2011, 10:01
I heard that Listerine works. Can anyone verify that one?

Well, if it can freshen MY breath you can be damn sure it'll work wonders for stinky clothing.

maybe clem
02-04-2011, 18:55
Are you letting the clothes soak in the white vinegar for a half hour before you wash them?

kanga
02-04-2011, 19:11
small box of baking soda. $0.79 at your local grocery or quick stop.

Appalachian Tater
02-04-2011, 19:12
To kill the smell you have to kill the bacteria. Try bleach or UV (sunlight) or heat (dryer).

Another approach would be to try soaking in hot water with detergent with enzymes overnight or with some sort of enzymatic cleaner such as Tide Stain Release or products made to remove pet stains and odors--those pet products work very well.

Also, when you wash your clothes, make sure the washing machine isn't too full.

Ashevillian
02-04-2011, 21:40

I've tried everything and baking soda is the best thing I've found as well.

fiddlehead
02-04-2011, 22:20
It's not easy.
My wife insists sunlight is the only way.
If you really want your clothes to be less stinky, make sure it has silver in the fabric.
Silver kills bacteria and there are brands out there like "Hydro-Pur", alpha-san, nano, x-tactic, etc.
Good luck in your quest. It's not an easy one.
If you really can't stand your smell, hike out west and wash your clothes often. they dry quickly and hikers don't stink nearly as much as east coast hikers.

amac
02-05-2011, 05:34
Are you washing in hot water?
Good point, I wash in cold out of habit. Will try hot, next time.

OxiClean along with regular laundry detergent works well for me.
Will definitely try this one.

Also will try this.

To kill the smell you have to kill the bacteria. Try bleach or UV (sunlight) or heat (dryer).

Another approach would be to try soaking in hot water with detergent with enzymes overnight or with some sort of enzymatic cleaner such as Tide Stain Release or products made to remove pet stains and odors--those pet products work very well.

Also, when you wash your clothes, make sure the washing machine isn't too full.
I would like avoid bleach. But soaking with an enzymatic cleaner sounds promising.

Thanks to all.

Mosey
02-05-2011, 10:34
Something to keep in mind if you use a clothes dryer to dry your clothes......

The heat from a clothes dryer will cause any stains or odors to be set into the clothing. If you use an electric or gas dryer, be sure your clothes are as clean as can be before placing items into dryer. If clothing still has stains or odors after washing, these will become more or less permanent after being placed in a dryer.

If you have an item that's heavily soiled, try a pre-treatment, then wash *twice*. If fresh stains or odors don't come out on the first wash, do NOT put the item in the dryer. Either wash it again, or hang it to dry. With items that have been hung in the sun (or even hung up indoors) you have some chance of removing more of the stain when you wash it again. When placed in a clothes dryer, stains and odors are set in by the heat, and are there *forever*.