PDA

View Full Version : Hey there!

Divining Rod
01-01-2005, 22:37
My name is Mark, I am new to this site and thought I would say hello! This is a great site!! I am planning on hiking the AT this year. I am hoping to start early April. I'm still putting my gear list, mail drops and such together but have it about done. I will be out of the Marines this month so have a hiatus from stress until I start on my Physical Therapy degree in the fall. Anyone have any advice feel free to send it my way! Looking forward to meeting everyone!

Happy Trails!
Mark

Skeemer
01-01-2005, 23:29
You asked for advice...hmm...go light...leave your dog at home...LNT...don't snore in shelters...have fun...HYOH...and above all beware of Blue Jay and Lone Wolf.

BTW, thanks for your service to our Country and welcome to the trail community...you may be too nice a guy for Whiteblaze.

skeeterfeeder
01-02-2005, 01:43
Thank you and welcome home. It is always good to know there are VETS on the trail. I was a 'flyboy' but none-the-less... Semper Fi.

ffstenger
01-02-2005, 05:44
Hey Mark, Welcome to WB, this is a great place for AT hikers. Most everyone is friendly and has very useful information (which I use frequently to improve the quality of my AT hiking). Sounds like you're able and ready, hope you have a good hike! Showme.
:welcome

peter_pan
01-02-2005, 08:53
mark,

Welcome brother... :welcome ...US Army retired, two war vet...you're right this is a great site....HooHah!!

jigsaw
01-02-2005, 09:09
hey mark you came to the right site. you can get alot of info here. as far as advice start with what you think you'll need. better to have to much to start off with.you can always mail stuff home as you go . have a good hike.

Footslogger
01-02-2005, 10:40
Mark ...welcome to Whiteblaze. As has already been mentioned, there is quite a collection of old and new military veterans here so you should feel right at home. Better yet, there's no guard duty or push-ups. As for me ...I'm Army Airborne (1968 - 1971) and I thru-hiked the AT in 2003 (I used to be able to say "last year" but not any more!!).

Happy Trails ...

'Slogger
AT 2003

Brushy Sage
01-02-2005, 11:56
When you get a chance along the way, at some library or other Internet portal, check in and let us know how you are doing.

Jack -- old retired Army chaplain guy -- Vietnam twice vet

Divining Rod
01-02-2005, 13:34
Thanks for the welcome and advice!! It seems as if I am in very good company here. I am starting up a journal and will log in here also while on my hike. I can't wait to get out there!!

"too nice" is my problem with women I am thinkin'.:jump

Lilred
01-02-2005, 14:46
Thanks for the welcome and advice!! It seems as if I am in very good company here. I am starting up a journal and will log in here also while on my hike. I can't wait to get out there!!

"too nice" is my problem with women I am thinkin'.:jump

Welcome home and thanks for your service. Will you be keeping a journal on trailjournals.com? Let us know if so, we can keep up with your hike there.

Bloodroot
01-02-2005, 14:59
Hey man! Welcome to Whiteblaze, the best place on the internet for good company and trail advice. Yes as many here, I'm another veteran, but I'm still in Iraq (till Feb). Likewise, I and a couple others from here are starting our NOBO in early April. Hopefully we'll see ya out there!

Happy Trails!

Divining Rod
01-02-2005, 20:12
Welcome home and thanks for your service. Will you be keeping a journal on trailjournals.com? Let us know if so, we can keep up with your hike there.

Thanks! Yeah I am setting it up now on trailjournals. I'm having some trouble with my browser but I'll let ya know!

SalParadise
01-02-2005, 20:34
Welcome Divining Rod. Best wishes on your hike this coming season. How about that, someone else from Madison going this year, too!