PDA

View Full Version : Gear and Advice for the Adirondacks??

sixguns01
02-04-2011, 13:44
Planning a 5 day trip in early August to the High Peaks region of the Adirondacks. Never packed the the Dacks before, so sorry for the basic questions. I carry a base weight of 10lbs+- by the way.

What type of weather should I expect?

What is the terrain/trail condition like?

Which shoes would be best; Gtx boots (Asolo Fugitives, Garmont Eclipse III GTX) or non Gtx trails runners (Salomon Wing Tips)?

BUGS??

Bear canisters a MUST??

Any gear you wished you had? (I already have my alcohol)

My gear list is posted in my profile, so any suggestions would be great. I don't take all of it but what I think I need.

Any advice or suggestions would be great. Thanks

Snowleopard
02-04-2011, 22:42
The Adirondacks are the best!!

Weather, similar to NJ but cooler with a small chance of snow.
BUGS? YES!! Mosquitos yes, but probably not black flies.
Bear Canister: In the Eastern High Peaks Zone approved canisters are required and it is enforced. Outside this zone they are recommended. There is one genius bear there that can open one brand of bear canister efficiently. http://www.dec.ny.gov/animals/30876.html

The terrain is great! It ranges from rocky mountains to deep boot sucking mud.

The high peaks area might be crowded in early Aug, especially on weekends. There are many other places where you could be quite isolated.
Checkout ADK forums and ADK high peak forums: http://adkhighpeaks.com/

Stray dog
04-21-2011, 17:25
If you don't like the weather, wait 10 minutes.

russb
04-21-2011, 17:43
Bear Canisters are required in the Eastern High Peaks Region. There are also other restrictions specific to this area (partially due to this small portion of the preserve is where most people go).

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/9198.html

russb
04-21-2011, 17:46
If you don't like the weather, wait 10 minutes.

Yep! Last weekend in the southwestern adirondacks I arrived to a lake which still had some ice on its shores. Wind was kicking even at the low elevation. Forecast called for rain, but the temp dropped and I got sleet instead until late in the evening when it turned to rain. It was snowing in the AM and the ice was all gone.

Sterling
04-23-2011, 00:25
Last august-beautiful weather, bugs were not an issue, trails pretty challenging, bears hissed at us like some sort of cat; will get to anything not in a canister

bullseye
05-05-2011, 22:09
Here's a link to my Adirondacks High Peaks trip last August: http://end2endtrailsupply.blogspot.com/search/label/adirondacks

The 'Adirondacks have become my favorite place to backpack.

MEB
05-06-2011, 13:37
Hi sixguns01,

I have made a few trips over to the Adirondaks and they are amazing! You will not be dissappointed. I do the majority of my hiking in the Whites and in comparison I find the Daks to be far more challenging. The trails go straight up and straight down and some of the mountains are very steep. Rarely will you find a switchback and depending on where you go the trails can be tedious. I always end up doing fewer miles than what I plan because the going can be slow. I could not find your gear list but I would suggest trekking poles. Also, like others have said bear cannisters are required.

-MEB

Deadeye
05-06-2011, 21:41
Whatever you do, save the Marcy Dam area & surrounding peaks (McIntyre Range, Phelps, Marcy, Colden) for mid-week if you plan to be there. Spend your weekend time a little further from the center to avoid crowds. Lots of beautiful country, just be aware that the 46 high peaks are magnets, and it's rare to get a summit to yourself on weekends. I'm guilty of falling for the attraction, but weekends are reserved for peaks without trails, all other peaks get hiked on weekdays. August is generally nice weather, warm & dry, occassional t-storms. Weather is not normally a problem for a reasonably prepared hiker except in exposed summit areas. Bring a bear canister, leave the dog at home.

Amanita
05-06-2011, 23:27
I would highly recommend a canister even if you are hiking in an area that does not explicitly require them. There is a lot of variation in the age and species composition of forests in the Adirondacks, and getting a good hang can be VERY difficult in some terrain. Poorly hung bags put your food at risk. Better to have the canister so you don't have to spend hours trying to find a spot to hang.