PDA

View Full Version : tarping and ground covers

Toolumpy
02-04-2011, 16:24
Leaving from Hot Springs in middle of May going north. How might the bugs be? I was thinking about just taking a MacCat tarp. What do you use for a ground cover when sleeping under only a tarp? Just thinking of leaving my hammock at home.

Spokes
02-04-2011, 17:49
I didn't have a mosquito problem until I hit Vermont in 20o9. I just bought an Equinox sil nylon ground cover for my Lunar Solo and think it'll work fine under a tarp as well. I've also used Tyvek on short trips.

Papa D
02-04-2011, 18:01
Tyvek House wrap (from a building supply store) 6 mil vs 4 mil if you can find it. The stuff I have is blue.

Jim Adams
02-05-2011, 02:35
Tyvek House wrap (from a building supply store) 6 mil vs 4 mil if you can find it. The stuff I have is blue.

It's not that heavy either. Cut a piece about a foot longer than you are tall but also cut it about 4' wide that way you can lay your pack beside you, move around some and stand to get dressed all without being on damp or wet ground.:-?
I tarped in 1990 and again in 2002...used DEET 2 nights each year...no other bug problems.:sun

geek

aaronthebugbuffet
02-05-2011, 03:40
I've always used Tyvek.
Also check polycryo ground cloth.

Hikes in Rain
02-05-2011, 09:50
I admit to being old school, but I use a piece of Visqueen. Always been curious, about the draw of Tyvek. I seem to remember it's not completely waterproof. Is it that much lighter than the sheet plastic? Always ready to learn more.

10-K
02-05-2011, 09:52
I admit to being old school, but I use a piece of Visqueen. Always been curious, about the draw of Tyvek. I seem to remember it's not completely waterproof. Is it that much lighter than the sheet plastic? Always ready to learn more.

This is pretty common knowledge but when you use tyvek the printed side goes down....

Jim Adams
02-05-2011, 10:59

Tyvek isn't as slippery either.

geek