PDA

View Full Version : How much gear....

mykl
02-04-2011, 17:24
I was going through some of my gear today and realize I have a lot of stuff I'll never use again, but at the same time, I can't get rid of it. Some revolves around the the fact that I did like something, but found something I liked better, some stuff is not available anymore, some have memories attached, etc. I guess I'm glad I got space to store all this stuff.
Anyone else?

10-K
02-04-2011, 17:39
I've said in several threads that I have enough gear to take me and 3 people I don't like hiking.....

:)

vibbertations
02-04-2011, 19:04
I've said in several threads that I have enough gear to take me and 3 people I don't like hiking.....

:)

Haha! I finally threw out my boy scout mess kit last year. I've got an old Slumberjack Raptor one man tent I've been meaning to send off to Goodwill but I keep thinking one of my friends will start hiking....which is what I've thought for the past 5 years.

restless
02-04-2011, 19:07
I seem to keep extra stuff around as well. That I have replacements when the time comes.

LoneRidgeRunner
02-04-2011, 19:15
I have wound up with a sporting goods store full of extra gear that I'll never use again. I ended up with it because at first I tried to get by with the cheapest I could find and soon realized it was worthless so I began upgrading as I could and now I have settled into what I believe to be the best gear money can buy (I know this will open a can of worms..lol..) I have tried for 2 years to sell off the excess in yard sales, etc...and have only sold the cheap crap because people won't pay the price for quality gear. They expect to get every thing at Wal Mart prices or less and much of this stuff is Gregory, MHW etc and I have it priced at way less than half the original price. It's all in excellent shape and I'll let it rot in my basement before I'll sell it all Wal Mart junk prices.
Any one interested in high quality gear at good prices pm me.

Croft
02-04-2011, 19:35
Craigslist--easy way to unload extraneous gear. However, I'm a minimalist so when I buy something new, I also get rid of something so I don't tend to accumulate. I unloaded two backpacks, a tent and a stove in one day at a price that made both me and the buyers happy.

LoneRidgeRunner
02-04-2011, 19:49
Craigslist--easy way to unload extraneous gear. However, I'm a minimalist so when I buy something new, I also get rid of something so I don't tend to accumulate. I unloaded two backpacks, a tent and a stove in one day at a price that made both me and the buyers happy.

Thank you Croft ...

mykl
02-04-2011, 20:12
Craig's List is like a virtual garage sale. I've tried selling stuff there and it's always hagglers, no matter what. Say you put a pack on, worth $200 new, yours is in excellent shape, asking $125. All responses are "will you take $30". Offer a hundred or something but it's always an insulting amount. I guess people think your desperate for $. I'd rather keep it. Anything I have ever tried selling on CL ends up like that, and not just gear.

garlic08
02-04-2011, 21:28
Ditto Craigs List or eBay. In my house, if something comes in the door, something else goes out. I own one pack, one tent, one sleeping bag, one pair of shoes, one bicycle, one pair of skis, one ice axe, etc.

leaftye
02-04-2011, 21:38
Good thing about CL is that it doesn't take much effort to refuse the low ballers. If they low ball on email, just don't reply. I usually have them come to my house, so if they low ball, it's just a no and I go back indoors...it's them that wasted time and gas money. I do prefer to ship my stuff though. That said, I have way too much gear I need to get rid of. A few packs and a sleeping bag would be a good place for me to start.

restless
02-04-2011, 21:45
3 backpacks, 3 sleeping bags, 2 full tarp setups, 2 tents, 2 stoves, 4 pairs of boots, 6 pairs of hiking pants, 5 sets of polypro and/or capilene, 2 rain coats, 2 down jackets, 1 synthetic parka, 2 fleece jackets, 2 headlamps, 1 cokkset (MSR Alpine 1 liuter pot-it rocks and have had it for 13 years), 1 pair Lekis (since 1998), several other things that I have forgotten to list. oh yeah, theres that whole partridge in a pear tree thing---missing that one. And I'm eligible for pro deals as well.

verber
02-04-2011, 22:38
My family has typical held onto enough gear to equip another adult and another kid whose approx my daughters size (e.g. one of her friends). Other things which we expect won't be usable again were either sold (ebay or "forsale" area in an online backpacking forum), donated to a local boy scout troup, and given to someone as a "pay it forward" exchange. I have only had to rebuy an item once (e.g. sold it and then later decided it was really the right thing to be using).

--Mark

LoneRidgeRunner
02-04-2011, 23:19
At one time I had 6 tents, 8 backpacks, 2 sleeping bags, but , like in my earlier post I sold all the worthless junk I had because it's what people wanted (imagine that) now down to 2 tents and 1 is for sale, 5 backpacks and 2 are for sale, 2 sleeping bags and 1 is for sale

I had a guy pick up my Slickrock (Kelty) pack at the local flea market which I had priced $110.00 This is a great back pack which listed for 268 when I bought it on sale for 200 It's in top notch condition He looked at me with a really snotty and insulting attitude and said "I ain't paying 110 for a used back pack. I can get a new one at Wal Mart FOR 30.00." So I referred to his mother as a dog..(lol) and told him "Ok you stupid S-O-B..Go to Wal Mart and buy you a 30$ back pack! ..good luck getting outta sight of the trail head sign with it..when it falls apart and you come back wanting this one the price will be 200 bucks for you!" I once bought a 25$ wal mart back pack, put about 30 pounds and it fell apart before I got to Florida from NC hitch hiking so I wasn't even wearing it much ..just picking up and putting in cars And I had things advertised online and was getting like 60 buck offers for gear that sells for over 500 bucks and I had priced at 250.00 My own cousin even insulted me on the Gregory Whitney and he KNOWS what it costs and what it's worth and he was actually wanting a Whitney cause all his hiking buddies carry Gregory packs... I nearly called his mother a dog too and she's my aunt..lol..