PDA

View Full Version : HELP have a wierd pack fitting problem

skooch
02-04-2011, 19:17
Has anyone had this problem? I went to my local outfitter today and spent at least an hour trying on packs. Men's and women's. The problem with each one was once I was all measured and pack was strapped on, the shoulder straps rubbed my inner arm as I swung them forward simulating trecking pole movements. How painful would that get?
I was stunned that Osprey, Gregory, Golite and Kelty all did this. Either the padding was too bulky or the buckle landed below the armpit right at breast level once tightened. The sternum stap was snug and all other straps and hipbelt cinched perfectly.
My sales person said that only packs over 60L have different sized straps to change out. The gentleman fitting me has been doing this for almost 10yrs for this outfitter who has been doing business for over 50yrs in that location. I'm a woman, aprox 40lbs overweight. My arms are fleshy but not the size of a big man's so what gives?

LoneRidgeRunner
02-04-2011, 19:21
Has anyone had this problem? I went to my local outfitter today and spent at least an hour trying on packs. Men's and women's. The problem with each one was once I was all measured and pack was strapped on, the shoulder straps rubbed my inner arm as I swung them forward simulating trecking pole movements. How painful would that get?
I was stunned that Osprey, Gregory, Golite and Kelty all did this. Either the padding was too bulky or the buckle landed below the armpit right at breast level once tightened. The sternum stap was snug and all other straps and hipbelt cinched perfectly.
My sales person said that only packs over 60L have different sized straps to change out. The gentleman fitting me has been doing this for almost 10yrs for this outfitter who has been doing business for over 50yrs in that location. I'm a woman, aprox 40lbs overweight. My arms are fleshy but not the size of a big man's so what gives?

I have no clue..I carry a Gregory pack (own 3 Gregorys actually) and never had this problem with the sternum strap tightened up Gregory G pack, Whitney and Denali Pro

Croft
02-04-2011, 19:29
Does anyone know if the shoulder straps are cut differently in women's packs than men's? If so, this might solve the problem. I know the hipbelts are.

grayfox
02-04-2011, 19:35
Yeah, I know what you mean...

The problem is one of geometry and how the straps attach at the top and sides and you just have to keep trying on packs until one works. You want the padding to end before it goes under your arm or you want it to continue under your arm--but you do not want the plastic slider to touch your arm. Most packs come in many torso sizes and you might want to try some sizes that you had ruled out just by measurement. Also, some of the packs made for kids might fit you well.

That said, Granite Gear will keep trading out belts and shoulder straps until you find the set up that works for you--for the price of postage.

Deuter also makes many sizes with interchangable parts. The SL series might work for you.

You just have to keep mix and matching unless you want to look for a custom made pack. Lots of people here will know about makers and what to ask for.

WhoDey
02-04-2011, 19:37
Some companies use different straps on their womens packs than the mens. I know Deuter does this and now ULA has the ability to choose strap shape on your pack. The womens Deuter packs are designated SL

skooch
02-04-2011, 19:45
Thanks Grayfox, My outfitter did say he was getting some new Deuters in next week. I'll try to find someone in my area who sells Granite Gear also. I'm trying men's and women's around 50L.

LoneRidgeRunner
02-04-2011, 19:47
Gregory also has gender specific packs and different torso sizes...they also have interchangeable, shoulder straps and hip belts ,,,,normally you would expect to use the same shoulder strap size that matches the torso size but this may not always be the case..you may need to try different shoulder strap sizes

chiefiepoo
02-04-2011, 19:52
Have you carried a pack recently? You might be reacting to your skin telling you "there's new something clinging to me in places where nothing should be". Maybe a sensation that will moderate over time. Did you try an external frame pack on with similar results. They do ride differently and most have pins and multiple adjustments to give verticle and lateral positionings of the straps. I shop at what I beleive is the same outfitter on US 19 and it is a very knowledgeable gear store. When I switched form external to internal, it felt different at first. I choose not to latch the sternum strap and walk with two poles. It all feels natural after a few days and miles.

Franco
02-04-2011, 19:56
Osprey have men and women specific packs.
This is a comment about that from them :
Women's fit back length shorter, volume between the shoulder straps is smaller, shoulder harness more contoured around chest, and hipbelt more 'conical' in shape

I tried the women's version of the Aether 60 (the Ariel) I could not tell much difference but it fitted my wife better than mine.
Franco

skooch
02-04-2011, 20:18
Have you carried a pack recently? You might be reacting to your skin telling you "there's new something clinging to me in places where nothing should be". Maybe a sensation that will moderate over time. Did you try an external frame pack on with similar results. They do ride differently and most have pins and multiple adjustments to give verticle and lateral positionings of the straps. I shop at what I beleive is the same outfitter on US 19 and it is a very knowledgeable gear store. When I switched form external to internal, it felt different at first. I choose not to latch the sternum strap and walk with two poles. It all feels natural after a few days and miles.
yes it is the same store. My salesperson is awesome and you've probably seen him on the expert videos on youtube. So that's why I was surprised today. He only offered changeable straps for the huge packs. This spot on my inner bicep area would chafe I'm sure. It felt like a bump then rub but I was sleeveless. Maybe I'll try again next friday wearing my campshirt when I attend their thru-hiker's clinic next Friday evening. Are you going?

Toolshed
02-04-2011, 20:18
Couple of things there skootch... First Cheifypoo has a point you are new to backpacking after not having camped since you were a kid. you might need only get used to having a pack festooned to your back before you feel comfortable. It might take a few times wearing it, but soon it will feel natural.
The second thing is that you mentioned you are overweight. I do see a lot of overweight women and they all seem to have the same loose, fatty skin hanging on their upper arms.
You can get a long sleeve t-shirt with mild compression (Champion makes them and they are inexpensive at Target) cut the sleeve shorter (but keep it longer than short sleeve shirt) and see if that helps to 1, compress the skin a little, and 2, serve to take up the chafing, so your skin doesn't feel it.

Sadly, in the long run, even if you lose weight, you might always have saggy skin there, some muscle toning will help, but I wouldn't count on that too much.
Good luck :)

skooch
02-04-2011, 20:24
Osprey have men and women specific packs.
This is a comment about that from them :
Women's fit back length shorter, volume between the shoulder straps is smaller, shoulder harness more contoured around chest, and hipbelt more 'conical' in shape

I tried the women's version of the Aether 60 (the Ariel) I could not tell much difference but it fitted my wife better than mine.
Franco
shoulder harness more contoured sounds great. maybe not as thick would help too but all the rage seems to be thick and wide padding. I don't believe my "girls" are in the way by the way. That would be a problem for some I imagine.

LIhikers
02-04-2011, 20:27
My only advice to you would be to say, don't settle for a pack you are unhappy with. If it's a problem in the store just imagine how you're gonna feel 3 or 4 days day the trail.

skooch
02-04-2011, 20:35
Couplea things there skootch... First Cheifypoo has apoitn you are new to backpakcing after not having campied since you were a kid. you might need only get used to having a pack festooned to your back before you feel comfortable. It might take a few times wearing it, but soon it will feel natural.
The second thing is that you mentioned you are overweight. I do see a lot of overweight women and they all seem to have the same loose, fatty skin hanging on their upper arms.
You can get a long sleeve t-shirt with mild compression (Champion makes them and they are inexpensive at Target) cut the sleeve shorter (but keep it longer than short sleeve shirt) and see if that helps to 1, compress the skin a litte, and 2, serve to take up the chafing, so your skin doesn't feel it.

Sadly, in the long run, even if you lose weight, you might always have saggy skin there, some muscle toning will help, but I wouldn't count on that too much.
Thanks for trying to help while assuming that I have big, flabby arms that you doubt will respond to exercise. My comment was to compare my arms to the much larger arms of men who manage to find straps that do not get in the way.

chiefiepoo
02-04-2011, 20:46
Most men, and all women, knew that was coming. Surprisingly, it took 7 min.

skooch
02-04-2011, 21:09
Most men, and all women, knew that was coming. Surprisingly, it took 7 min.
Wow I did not. Up until now all threads I've started for help have been kind and informative. How much of a piece of my mind can I give on this forum? Really, that's not a rhetorical question.

Roche
02-04-2011, 22:31
Skooch - the packs are fine, your guns are too large - lay off the barbells.;)

Rick500
02-04-2011, 23:07
I don't know how helpful this will be, but i can tell you that although my Osprey Aether 60 felt great in the store, it was a bit uncomfortable for the first half day or so that I wore it loaded on the trail, then it was and has been just fine for many miles since. Just kind of a wearing-in and getting-used-to-it period. Whether that'll be true in your case or with your pack, I can't say... But just an observation.

scope
02-04-2011, 23:19
I think you'll find that if you get "out there" with a pack, things that rub in the store turn out to be just fine, but then other things rub that you had no idea would be an issue. Buy the best pack you can at a store that will let you return it. Get out and hike and then, and only then, will you know what is an issue and what isn't.

skinewmexico
02-04-2011, 23:36
Don't overestimate your packfitter, and get a second opinion.

skooch
02-05-2011, 00:12
There's not a lot of outfitters in Florida unfortunately and they tend to only carry one or 2 brands. I've never been in an REI for instance. It may be worth a weekend roadtrip north to get to the closest one. 450miles to Atlanta. Just not a lot of variety and absolutely nothing but flatness. It was in the 70's all week though

skooch
02-05-2011, 00:15
Thanks to those who've sent me private messages on this topic.

Toolshed
02-05-2011, 11:00
....<Snipped> I'm a woman, aprox 40lbs overweight. My arms are fleshy but not the size of a big man's so what gives?

...<snipped>The second thing is that you mentioned you are overweight. I do see a lot of overweight women and they all seem to have the same loose, fatty skin hanging on their upper arms.
You can get a long sleeve t-shirt with mild compression (Champion makes them and they are inexpensive at Target) cut the sleeve shorter (but keep it longer than short sleeve shirt) and see if that helps to 1, compress the skin a little, and 2, serve to take up the chafing, so your skin doesn't feel it.

Thanks for trying to help while assuming that I have big, flabby arms that you doubt will respond to exercise. My comment was to compare my arms to the much larger arms of men who manage to find straps that do not get in the way.

Skooch. You asked for advice. You stated what I assumed was a fact about your fleshy arms and that you had the same problems with all the packs you tried on. I reponded to that with my observations and how I thought the issue could be resolved. (I used to fit packs for an outfitter and when younger I used to work for an outdoor company guiding clients.)

You then started another thread where you said we weren't being respectful.

I'm not trying to hurt your feelings, or be disrespectful, but working with the information you have stated plus what I have experienced in working with overweight women - I stated my observations. Blunt and to the point. (this solution was also stated by someone in the other thread you started.) Many think this problem will clear up if they lose weight. Not necessarily so. Woman have a difficult time building enough muscle in their upper arms to take up any loose skin after they lose weight - it's a problem that most men do not seem to have, hence the answer to your "what gives" question. Again, not disresectful but to the point. It is what it is. :rolleyes:
This is also relevant because as you lose weight on the trail, the loose skin will tend rub even more. Again, my idea for a shirt with mild compression

Roots
02-05-2011, 12:54
When I purchased my Gregory Z55, I loaded it with about 30 lbs of weight and walked around the store for about 30 minutes. The longer I had to pack on, the more it started to 'fit'. I have hiked many miles with that pack with comfort. The only way to know, sometimes, is to just pack it and wear it.

I had a very reputable outfitter try and tell me that I, too, would have to get a large pack to fit me correctly. They were wrong! Good luck!

tlap
02-05-2011, 13:18
The culprit may not be your arms, or the packs. It may be your bra. Look for a good sports bra that provides the appropriate level of support and compression for your physique. If you can find one that is comfortable and also moves the volume of your bust toward the center, as opposed to toward your sides, it may make a difference in the position of the pack straps in regard to your arms.

If you've been wearing an ordinary bra to your pack fittings, that could account for what you experienced.

Good luck with finding your pack. I know the right one for you is out there somewhere.

Cuffs
02-05-2011, 14:55
Don't overestimate your packfitter, and get a second opinion.

This is so true!

As an outdoor retail manager, I see this every day. A competitor will 'fit' a customer but not do it correctly. Get the second opinion!

As stated clearly here, you are having new stuff (the shoulder harness) in an area that is not accustomed to its abrasiveness. Either get used to it, go work out or compromise. (long sleeved shirt was an excellent suggestion)

Try on myriads of packs. ULA is one of the best packs out there. I was convinced I wanted one until I tried it on. It just did not fit me correctly. Thanks to my job, I own numerous packs. While some models of some brands fit great, others do not. I love my Gregory Z55, loathe (and sold) my Shasta. Love my Osprey Atmos 50, detest my Ariel 55.

You will find the one, and hopefully more, that work for you. Dont rush the decision, find the one that fits YOU.

Turtle2
02-05-2011, 15:49
Skooch, I too experienced the rubbing when I first put on my pack. Actually loading and wearing the pack removed the rubbing. So, find a pack that fits comfortably and then use it. I think you'll find the straps to be a non-issue.

4eyedbuzzard
02-05-2011, 17:27
You might also look at where the shoulder straps attach to the waistbelt / pack bottom. If they are too wide at this point the shoulder straps will not conform properly as they pass between your arms and torso. As others have noted, you could also try compression tops or even just use compression sleeves of some sort in the area of the arms that rubs.

FWIW, most men don't generally have this exact same fitting issue, as men put on fat differently than women due to basic physiological differences and musculature (including the effects of testosterone). Men tend to carry their fat more in their upper abdomen and chest - those out front beer bellies and barrel chests. It would be unusual even for an overweight male to have arm fat unless they were extremely obese. Women, however, tend to add fat more evenly throughout their bodies in their legs, arms, butt, and lower abdomen. Just the reality.

skooch
02-05-2011, 21:33
Skooch. You asked for advice. You stated what I assumed was a fact about your fleshy arms and that you had the same problems with all the packs you tried on. I reponded to that with my observations and how I thought the issue could be resolved. (I used to fit packs for an outfitter and when younger I used to work for an outdoor company guiding clients.)

You then started another thread where you said we weren't being respectful.

I'm not trying to hurt your feelings, or be disrespectful, but working with the information you have stated plus what I have experienced in working with overweight women - I stated my observations. Blunt and to the point. (this solution was also stated by someone in the other thread you started.) Many think this problem will clear up if they lose weight. Not necessarily so. Woman have a difficult time building enough muscle in their upper arms to take up any loose skin after they lose weight - it's a problem that most men do not seem to have, hence the answer to your "what gives" question. Again, not disresectful but to the point. It is what it is. :rolleyes:
This is also relevant because as you lose weight on the trail, the loose skin will tend rub even more. Again, my idea for a shirt with mild compression

Thanks for the clarification. I realize now how helpful your ideas are. peace