PDA

View Full Version : Hiking Partner(s) JMT 2011

Lyse
02-04-2011, 19:58
I am planning to backpack all (or most) of John Muir Trail this summer. Still submitting reservation requests so exact date and trailhead is unknown. It may be that I begin from Tuolumne Meadows and hike south, missing the section between Yosemite & Tuolumne Meadows.

I hiked the trail in 2007 (solo) and again in 2009 with friends. Experienced backpacker, but getting older so plan to average 10 miles a day.

Likely that I will get a permits (I'm asking for 4) for start date anywhere from July 23 to Aug 7.

Sometime I'd also like to come east and do the Applachian! I live in northern California and am retired so could easily help out any hiking partners with transportation from the airport to trailhead.

SouthMark
02-04-2011, 20:07
Shame I have to wait until 2012. Would love to tag along with someone that has hiked it before.

nawlunz
02-05-2011, 16:24
I am planning to backpack all (or most) of John Muir Trail this summer. Still submitting reservation requests so exact date and trailhead is unknown. It may be that I begin from Tuolumne Meadows and hike south, missing the section between Yosemite & Tuolumne Meadows.

I hiked the trail in 2007 (solo) and again in 2009 with friends. Experienced backpacker, but getting older so plan to average 10 miles a day.

Likely that I will get a permits (I'm asking for 4) for start date anywhere from July 23 to Aug 7.

Sometime I'd also like to come east and do the Applachian! I live in northern California and am retired so could easily help out any hiking partners with transportation from the airport to trailhead.

from August 3rd on...Have family wedding in July. So, I don't know what you had in mind, but I would be interested in help in transportation to the trailhead from the Bay area...is that something you had in mind?

As far as the actual trail, probably plan to do more miles per day at this time.

tuswm
02-07-2011, 15:11
any luck on your permits, i couldnt get mine,

Helmuth.Fishmonger
02-07-2011, 18:46
re hiking partner - anyone interested in a really LATE season hike? - I mean just before the pre winter storms, but after the usual September rush, probably starting first week of October.

Planning to go southbound, starting at Tuolumne - Mono Pass Trailhead, via Koip Peak Pass and PCT to Reds Meadow, and on from there via Fish Valley and Goodale Pass to VVR (may still be open), Bear Ridge to JMT, from there by the book all the way to Whitney, about 15 days max (12-13 at regular pace) to allow for bad weather delay. Permits for that should be same day walk-in.

Apart from having to be creative with the resupply, the only thing that time of year that spoils it are the short days - but you can overcome that with lots of headlamp action to extend the day. I will probably time the trip with the moon phases to get some free light after sunset in case a few extra hours of hiking are needed to stay on schedule - looks like the moonrise times for October 2011 work out nicely for the first two weeks of Ocotber (full moon on 10-11-11). Fresno, CA October moon phases here:
http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/astronomy.html?n=390&month=10&year=2011&obj=moon&afl=-11&day=1

To do this safely, you'll need suitable semi-cold to cold weather gear and be able to do without some of the usual resupply points (i.e. carry more food and move fast so you can get places). Obviously not a first-timer trip. Not an ultralight kind of adventure either if you want to play it safe.

Why in October? many reasons, like zero skeeters, different light, no crowds, and most of all, I've never done it in that month. I've done day hikes in mid October and the weather was usually fantastic. At that time of year, even Yosemite was deserted (the TM store was already taken down). Risk of early snow storms just makes it more interesting - be prepared and enjoy.

Here's a compelling October trip report (although his 7 day goal is reserved for people with running shoes) http://vimeo.com/7851505

Anyone interested in this, let's chat offline about details. I'm not 100% set to do this, but it's one of the ideas I am contemplating for this year.

nawlunz
02-07-2011, 20:07
any luck on your permits, i couldnt get mine,

I am planning to submit in a week for early august...is it going to be that big a crunch? Wow, I hope not!

tuswm
02-07-2011, 22:13
I am having trouble getting permits for late july, I asked for any trail head and I am now on my 4th day of resubmission. maybe you should start trying now....

nawlunz
02-08-2011, 14:22
I am having trouble getting permits for late july, I asked for any trail head and I am now on my 4th day of resubmission. maybe you should start trying now....

And for how many folks

tuswm
02-08-2011, 14:58
2 only 2 people

Blissful
02-08-2011, 20:50
Can you put down "Any trailhead" ? I thought you had to be specific. Might be the reason for the rejection.

Kanook
02-17-2011, 14:24
I am starting solo from Happy Isles on July 14th. I hiked the trail from Tuolumne in 2009.