PDA

View Full Version : Where to begin in PA?

Second Half
02-04-2011, 20:25
I'm planning a 2 to 2.5 month hike from PA to NH--Hanover or perhaps a bit further depending on time, my pace, etc. Probably 700 miles or so, starting early to mid-May.

I live in NE PA, about 1.5 hours from Harrisburg, 45 minutes from the Rt. 309 trailhead, about an hour from Del. Water Gap.

I'd like to start with a relatively easy 50 mile or so stretch to get acclimated. I'm thinking maybe Pine Grove Furnace? It would be a neat starting point being the mid-point of the trail. Plus I'll be close enough to home that I could have family/friends come for resupply or equipment changes during the first week or 2.

What do y'all think? Is this be a good place to start what would basically be a week-long "shakedown" to get up to speed with trail life? Terrain-wise, would it be better starting a bit further south? Or elsewhere?

Thanks!

Cookerhiker
02-04-2011, 21:29
I think Pine Grove Furnace would be a good place to start. You could also consider Caledonia. After the initial ascent to the ridgeline, the rest of the trail to Pine Grove Furnace is pretty easy.

Now if you wanted your first day to be super-easy, start at Boiling Springs.

Wise Old Owl
02-04-2011, 21:31
I would second that - Pine Grove is a good warm up

ARambler
02-04-2011, 21:33
Sounds like a good plan. You will start in the front wave of thru hikers. They will probably blow by pretty quickly. If you are in danger of getting in good shape, you risk finishing in 2.5 months, or at least getting north of Gorham, where transportation home is not so good.

You might want to consider Harpers Ferry if your friends will take you the extra distance. HF has train service if you wanted to go back to work on the southern parts of the trail.
Rambler

Helios
02-04-2011, 21:44
The 1/2 way marker has been removed from the Pine Grove Furnace area. Mostly because it's not the 1/2 way point any more.

Still, an excellent place to start, as well as Caledonia.

garbanz
02-04-2011, 21:51
Sorry, off the subject but where do the rocks start and end in PA? Im planning a thru and need to plan lesser mileage when I get to the rocks.

Blissful
02-04-2011, 21:54
Basically from Port Clinton to beginning of NJ.

fiddlehead
02-04-2011, 22:06
PA rocks!
From Duncannon north.
They don't end at the border of NJ either.

BigHodag
02-04-2011, 22:10
Why not start at PennMar and complete PA?

Aim for Tumbling Run shelter the first day. If you fall short, you'll have Antietam and Deer Lick shelters. From Tumbling Run you'll have a good climb up Buzzard's Roost and should make it to Quarry Gap.

The other solution is to start in the north and hike south. You'll end somewhere in PA where your support can easily pick you up.

Second Half
02-04-2011, 22:36
Thanks for the advice, I'll look into the suggested starting spots.

The ending in NH is key to this hike, my family will be visiting my MIL in late July. She lives near Hanover so I'm trying to pick the right starting point to meet up with them then.

Second Half
02-04-2011, 22:36
The 1/2 way marker has been removed from the Pine Grove Furnace area. Mostly because it's not the 1/2 way point any more.

Still, an excellent place to start, as well as Caledonia.

Where is the midpoint of the trail these days?

Cookerhiker
02-04-2011, 22:39

PA rocks!
From Duncannon north.
They don't end at the border of NJ either.

This being WhiteBlaze, I'll offer a 3rd opinion, actually splitting the difference.

The first PITA rockfield in my recollection is after you ascend from Swatara Gap (the northernmost crossing of I-81).

camojack
02-04-2011, 23:10
Where is the midpoint of the trail these days?
Good question; there was mileage added recently.

At any rate, in 2009 it was at mile 1089.6:

Jim Adams
02-05-2011, 02:26
Where to start in Pa?... in my driveway, at my car. Get in on March 12 and I'll give you a ride to Springer.....oh yeah, extend your trip a monthor two!

geek

Second Half
02-05-2011, 10:29
Where to start in Pa?... in my driveway, at my car. Get in on March 12 and I'll give you a ride to Springer.....oh yeah, extend your trip a monthor two!

geek

LOL, thanks for the offer! I sure wish I could but unfortunately it's not in the cards for me this year.

I googled Webster PA, looks like the AT practically runs thru your backyard!

Chillfactor
02-06-2011, 15:48
I agree with BigHodag, and feel starting in PennMar would be a good choice. You'll ease into the rocks and may have a more pleasant shakedown period.
The AT crosses US 30 at Caledonia SP and that might be a convenient starting point.
You could start at DWG and cut out some of the continuous rocks. That way you could take some time and enjoy. For me, PA was tedious and a joy to finish.
Have a great hike!

sixguns01
02-06-2011, 16:21

+2 for Port Clinton. Pain in the but to get up through Lehigh Gap so it's nice to warm up beforehand. Relatively flat except for the gaps.

Wags
02-06-2011, 16:33
I'd start at Penmar and simply walk across the state. It'll only take you 2 days to get to Caledonia, a 3rd to get to Pine Grove. That way you knock off the whole state.

Here would be easy resupply stops:

3 days walk, early on 4th day have family meet you at pine grove with food for 4 more days

3 or 4 days walk, have family meet you at duncannon with food for 4 days

3 or 4 days walk, have family meet you in port clinton with food for 4 days

3 or 4 days walk, have family meet you at deleware water gap bridge...

that's how i'd roll