PDA

View Full Version : couples thru hike mess kit

Megapixel
02-04-2011, 22:03
so we have our 2L cook pot for our thru, but were pretty sure eating out of it together is a bad idea because one of us eats like a hummingbird on crack and one of us enjoys the meal like a fine cigar. So what have other couples used to eat out of or off of? Mug, bowl,? Suggestions? thanks!

chiefiepoo
02-04-2011, 22:09
Frisbee, use as a bowl to eat or mix, wash basin, brush teeth, berry collecting
container, and as a frisbee.

Blissful
02-04-2011, 23:02
We brought an orikaso bowl that unfolds flat. We also had a snowpeak cookset that had a pot and frying pan cover, so the frying pan also acted as the 2nd plate.

LoneRidgeRunner
02-04-2011, 23:27
Frisbee, use as a bowl to eat or mix, wash basin, brush teeth, berry collecting
container, and as a frisbee.

hmm..frisbee..excellent idea....a good way to keep small miscellaneous items organized and not lost inside the tent too....(if the food odor is washed out)..never thought of a frisbee as hiking gear before...:banana

Black Wolf
02-04-2011, 23:29
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/3/0/6/1/1/hammock107_thumb.jpg (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=45250&c=694)

Snow Peak Titanium ... I love it...

chiefiepoo
02-04-2011, 23:34
hmm..frisbee..excellent idea....a good way to keep small miscellaneous items organized and not lost inside the tent too....(if the food odor is washed out)..never thought of a frisbee as hiking gear before...:banana
and the wife can throw it while you jump and catch it after dinner

Gipsy
02-05-2011, 00:35
I have seen others use (and prefer) separate 700ml pots/cups for the following reasons.

1) You can eat separate items instead of having to agree on a "community dish"
2) You can cook two different items and share (trade cups)
3) You can cook the same item in the correct desired portions (this prevents cooking too much food and also conserves fuel)
4) Although using 1 pot only calls for 1 dish to wash if you share, if you use a pot and 2 cups or bowls, then you have 3 dishes to wash which wastes water.

Thats just my opinion........

garlic08
02-05-2011, 01:01
My wife and I cooked the food in a pot, then dished half into a plastic cup and shared the meal that way. The cup also came in handy for dipping water out of small streams and seeps.

Nearly Normal
02-05-2011, 01:39
so we have our 2L cook pot for our thru, but were pretty sure eating out of it together is a bad idea because one of us eats like a hummingbird on crack and one of us enjoys the meal like a fine cigar. So what have other couples used to eat out of or off of? Mug, bowl,? Suggestions? thanks!

Trangia 27 kit comes to mind. Seems I remember you can get one with different option pans and bowls.

flemdawg1
02-05-2011, 10:59
We use a cool whip bowl or an orikaso foldable.

bigcranky
02-05-2011, 11:22
My wife and I have the same problem with sharing a pot to eat. Either I scarf it down in ten seconds (and she goes hungry), or I sit there staring at her like a puppy dog waiting to get dinner while she slooooowly enjoys her Liptons noodles.

We hike with a Snow Peak 1400 and use the lid for a bowl to share dinner. I made a cozy out of Reflectix for both the lid and the pot, so dinner doesn't get cold too quickly. However, make sure the fast eater gets the lid; because it's more shallow, food does cool off faster in it.

We also bring mugs -- she has a plastic insulated mug with a lid, and I bring a Snow Peak 700 with a foil lid and a cozy. That way we can have coffee or tea with our meal, and I can use the 700 to heat water for drinks or cleaning.

gypsy
02-05-2011, 11:29
so we have our 2L cook pot for our thru, but were pretty sure eating out of it together is a bad idea because one of us eats like a hummingbird on crack and one of us enjoys the meal like a fine cigar. So what have other couples used to eat out of or off of? Mug, bowl,? Suggestions? thanks!We carried seperate pots and shared the same stove. We never ate the same thing at meal times.

Roots
02-05-2011, 12:40
We freezer bag cook-with alcohol stove- so we use a cheap cook pot to bowl the water then just add it to our freezer bag and slide them into our pouches to cook.

When not doing the freezer bag cooking we used the orikaso plates as well, with one cookpot.

We used separate cooking for a while as well. We used the Caldera Cone with alcohol stove made for the 700 Snow Peak cook system.

All have worked well. We decided to 'lighten our load' to the first system I mentioned, this past year.

Good luck!

Megapixel
02-05-2011, 17:06
sounds like these folding bowls are nice. i will look into that. currently besides the alchy stove we have a pot with a lid that doubles as a frying pan, so i think we'll just use that as our second serving and get 2 small plastic cups for hot tea, etc. thanks for the help all!

anyone used the sea to summitt x bowls and mugs that fold?

rickb
02-05-2011, 18:16
What's the advantage to having a pot fold up? Its not like you are going to put it your pocket.

If you want something light weight, you could recycle a 16 Oz plastic yogurt container or similar.

DVNDSN
02-05-2011, 18:35
anyone used the sea to summitt x bowls and mugs that fold?

My wife and I are going to get http://www.rei.com/product/783956 <-this cookset with the sea to summit Xbowl and Xplate as well for our gear. I've read the reviews and they seem like a really reliable product. Super compact and UL too, can't get much better than that.

LIhikers
02-05-2011, 18:37
Since I carry our kitchen kit, including the pot, my wife carries a metal cup to eat out of. After heating up our food in the pot I give her half in her cup and I eat out of the pot. She prefers to carry a metal cup so that if she wants a cup of tea or hot cocoa during a break she can make it right in her cup.

LIhikers
02-05-2011, 18:39
Since I carry our kitchen kit, including the pot, my wife carries a metal cup to eat out of. After heating up our food in the pot I give her half in her cup and I eat out of the pot. She prefers to carry a metal cup so that if she wants a cup of tea or hot cocoa during a break she can make it right in her cup.

And the pot we use is the K-mart grease pot.
We used to use a bigger pot from our car camping set but it was too big really. For 8 dollars and change we got the smaller, lighter pot.

DVNDSN
02-05-2011, 18:43
Just checked out the Xbowl and Xplate again, never even realized the bottom doubles as an actualy cutting board. Definitely worth the extra ounces. They withstand temps up to 300 degrees too. ...Or you can always recycle your handy dandy plastic yogurt container ;)

TheTwanger
02-05-2011, 19:20
Yea, we plan on carrying separate cooking gear. I don't imagine we would be satisfied sharing the same meal all the time... After I walk a long day, I'll have something specific in mind.. lol

Grinder
02-05-2011, 19:47
+1 on the orikasa folding bowl. The advantage is it takes up zero cubic inches, since it lays (stands flat) against the side of pack.

If you use a heine pot, carry it in a 1 quart zip lock storage jar with a 1 cup top (see Skidsteer's set up in albums) Also can morph into a drip coffee maker, if that floats your boat.