PDA

View Full Version : In-Camp Clothing/Pajamas

thelightinside
02-04-2011, 22:04
I'm planning a Nobo thru starting mid March and I don't know what clothing to get to wear in camp and for sleeping. Will the Patagonia Cap 3 baselayers be warm enough (I've got a synthetic puffy for insulation) or should I go with something heavier? Suggestions please!

fiddlehead
02-04-2011, 22:12
Depends on your sleeping bag.
Do you sleep cold?
Usually there is not a lot of "camp time". When you get to camp, the day is usually about over. You cook your food (most people do this), eat, clean up, then get in your sleeping bag and possibly write a little, read a little, and if you had a few hills that day, you sleep.

If you didn't hike much that day, and just like to lounge around camp, perhaps you need ..................well, i wouldn't really know as, i've not done that style (yet)

lunatic
02-04-2011, 22:20
Fiddlehead is right.
you should be okay if you have an appropriate bag. I carried cap 2 l/s shirt and leggings (not sure if that's the "manly" word for them, ha) for most of my thru and they worked well. really cold nights i wore leggings under my hiking pants, other nights wore shorts over them, and other nights just the shorts. similar experience with the shirt.

jesse
02-04-2011, 22:22
Set up your tent in the backyard and experiment.

Slo-go'en
02-04-2011, 22:30
I hiked with "Keychain" in '08 for awhile and early on he bought a pair of cheap cotton pj bottoms to wear in camp, in town and in the bag on the occasional chilly nights. I ran into him again up in Maine and he was still using them.

Now I normally don't recommend carrying any cottom clothes, but if your careful to keep them dry, seems like a good idea. If your going to wear them in town, you might not want to get ones with pink bunnies on them - or maybe you would...

Camping Dave
02-04-2011, 22:54
I'm planning a Nobo thru starting mid March and I don't know what clothing to get to wear in camp and for sleeping. Will the Patagonia Cap 3 baselayers be warm enough (I've got a synthetic puffy for insulation) or should I go with something heavier? Suggestions please!

Questions like this always make me want to ask, and this time I will.

Have you ever camped in cold weather before, what did you wear then, and what about makes you think it was deficient?

Blissful
02-04-2011, 22:59
I used a midweight fleece pant and smartwool top (I could layer over the top if needed). And a 15 Degree bag with insulated pad.

thelightinside
02-04-2011, 23:05
I have a 15 degree down bag and sleep kinda cold.

Camping Dave, no I have not done much cold weather camping...what I have done has been car camping so weight and space were not an issue. I'm looking for something warm and light (obviously)...there are just so many options out there (lightweight, midweight, expedition weight?) and I don't know if I should err on the side of caution and get something heavy or hope something lighter will be sufficient.

Turtle Feet
02-04-2011, 23:05

Cap 3's might be too warm - jesse's right, check it out in your backyard.

I'll be starting mid-March as well - see you out there!!!

tf

thelightinside
02-04-2011, 23:06
Blissful, what kind of fleece pant?

Camping Dave
02-04-2011, 23:27
I have a 15 degree down bag and sleep kinda cold.

Camping Dave, no I have not done much cold weather camping...what I have done has been car camping so weight and space were not an issue. I'm looking for something warm and light (obviously)...there are just so many options out there (lightweight, midweight, expedition weight?) and I don't know if I should err on the side of caution and get something heavy or hope something lighter will be sufficient.

So sleep in the backyard one night with something light like a tshirt and the next with something warm like a sweatshirt. Make a decision on how much insulation you need then make a purchase.

Presumably, you're ready to buy gear on the advice of strangers without spending a single night outside to figure out what you need. That makes no sense.

KingKrawler
02-06-2011, 02:18
FWIW, I started my 2010 thru hike on March 15 using a Marmot 15 degree down bag and Patagonia Cap 3 pants and 1/4 zip top. I never got cold enought to wear my Patagonia Puff jacket, but I did wear my lightweight wool gloves and wool hat when it got especially cold overnight. You should be fine.

Good luck on your thru!!

Cabin Fever
02-06-2011, 08:34
I wear Patagonia Cap 3 and layer with my coat and a pair of lightweight Sierra Designs fleece pants. I justify both pants since I wear the Capilene under my clothes during the day. I strip down the capilene in the sleeping bag.

10-K
02-06-2011, 09:02
Cold is cold and no matter where I am the same thing keeps me warm in town or in the woods. No need to sleep outside - just go outside when it's cold and see if what you're wearing keeps you warm.

I almost always hike until after sunset and in the winter by the time I get my tent up and everything situated I go ahead and get in my bag - which I bring because I know it'll keep me warm. Clothing for warmth after hiking is secondary to my bag - if necessary I'll wear whatever I brought for a coat/jacket when I'm in my bag and I always carry some kind of head cover and mittens when it's cold.

I generally hike alone so there's no need to walk around and socialize, chat and sit up late without being in my sleeping bag - and if I'm in my bag I'm warm by default.

Papa D
02-06-2011, 09:26
patagonia or similar long john bottoms are great - i shuck off my compression shorts and just put the long johns under my shorts for around camp and for the night's sleep. when summer comes they keep the bugs off of your legs. If you have a fleece or wool sweater though, I kind of think a heavier long john top is replication - i have a long sleeve silk t-shirt that packs up tiny and weighs about 2 oz. - that piece under my light sweater seems plenty. In march and april, I would suggest a 20 deg. bag and a down jacket (packs light) - switch to a 40 degree bag or quilt somewhere around Damascus or Mt. Rogers / Atkins, VA (if you are of average pace) and send home the down jacket too.

GeneralLee10
02-06-2011, 10:42
Wear the cloths you hiked in. This way in the am you get up eat and pack, then hit the trail. No extra weight, more room in pack for food. If you have the correct sleeping bag you can sleep naked.

I just don't understand the need for all these things to carry. Less is better when hiking for long periods of time. Who cares if you smell your sleeping bag gear and cloths are going to stink so bad anyhow it does not matter trust me.

canoehead
02-06-2011, 10:48
Patagonia Cap 3 w/ shorts will be warm & toasty, if it's breezy/windy I'll throw my rain pants on it blocks the wind and keeps your body heat in better. I've got a few of the down/syn sweaters and they are great.

sbhikes
02-06-2011, 11:42
I used to change my clothes for sleeping but one night I was too tired and just fell asleep. I stopped changing my clothes before bed after that. If it's really that cold, I might take some kind of long underwear but only if I think I might also use it during the day. I don't think it really matters if it's cap 3 or light silk. Whatever you feel comfortable in. You can always order something online along the way if what you picked isn't working out.

Trailbender
02-07-2011, 09:41

Cold weather, I wear polypros as camp clothing. In warmer weather I have a cut off pair of rain pants I wear. Really hot weather, I pretty much just wear a clean pair of panties as camp clothing.