PDA

View Full Version : women's arm chafing/pack strap issue

skooch
02-05-2011, 00:40
So I started this topic in the grear forum but haven't heard from anyone who'd had the same problem and don't feel all responders have been respectful. Help me out ladies.
My local outfitter is very knowlegeable but was unable to fit me with a pack that did not rub my inner bicep about breast level as a swung my arms forward in a trekking poll motion. The rest of the fitting went very well. We tried Osprey, Gregory, Golite and Kelty. All either had very thick, wide padding or the buckle when tightened hit the same area of my arm. What brand have those of you with a thicker arm used? Certainly men have thicker arms that I and manage to move comfortably.
Just respond if you have a gear brand idea. Please cut me some slack on the weight jokes. If honest people can't get helpful answers then this webside is meaningless. I come here to learn and encourage. don't you?

Turtle Feet
02-05-2011, 00:50
I tend to have the same problem when I'm wearing sleeveless tops. Right now, in hiking with longsleeves and a vest it's not a problem. Don't know if this makes sense, but for me, it seems that now that I've been wearing my pack on a daily basis, I don't notice all the little things that I did at the beginning - it's sort of becoming a 'second skin'. I'm not suggesting that you 'settle' for something you're not happy with, it's just that some of the things you notice at first blush may become inconsequential with time.

The pack I'm carrying is the Go Lite Jam, don't know if they had one of those for you to try, that's been about the best fit for me to date.

tf

Gipsy
02-05-2011, 01:16
I could be way off base but maybe its not the brand of pack or material type of the straps but more about the DESIGN of the harness/straps. One important feature that I use to quickly weed out packs is the "yolk" (where the shoulder-straps meet the top of the pack.)

If the two straps are separate at the top and the chest strap form an "H", I put it back on the shelf.

I prefer the "yolk-type" which looks like an upside-down "U" or kind of a rightside-up "A" with the chest strap.

This feature helps with supporting the weight ACROSS the width of your shoulders instead of only ON just the straps (such as a purse).

The yolk also holds the top of the straps in place instead of allowing them to slip outward which I believe is where the chaffing is occurring.

Not sure if this is gonna work but I'll try to attach an example of a good yolk design. The pic is not to promote any brand. It is only a design example.

Gipsy
02-05-2011, 01:23
Have your outfitter try some "men's" packs on you. I know a few females that use "men's" packs because of their build in the shoulder, chest or hips.

Happy hiking!

skooch
02-05-2011, 01:49
thanks will look closer at the yolk idea and my next trip to the outfitter I plan to wear the campshirt I'll be hiking in. today I was sleeveless in the store. My biggest fear is a painful hike be it any shoe or gear and spending $$$ all over again at Neel's Gap after a miserable 30 miles from Springer. thanks for the straight trouble shooting Gypsy and Turtlefeet.
Hope you both are well. Gypsy, you got a lot of undeserved flack concerning your befriend a nurse thread and Turtle Feet go with your gut on the permantent makeup you are considering. Peace

grayfox
02-05-2011, 13:45
Skooch, I am back to try to help in this quieter environment.

First, don't take some posts too seriousy. Most of us just want to help. But it has been a long winter for a lot of us and we get a bit short of patience. When a question comes along from a recent joiner with few posts, it is almost always a qustion that has ben answered before ad nausem and is archived in many many posts. People often feel that the new person should have done their homework first and then asked second. Be that as it may--some people do enjoy criticising others--and even the cookies here seem to be joining in because when I looked at the adds by google on the bottom of this page there was one about reducing flabby arms and I had to laugh... Just know that the person you find harsh today may have the best solution to your problem tomrrow...and honest self knowledge is the basis of wisdom.

I have been thinking about your chafing problem and have some more ideas. As you use your pack the materials will soften a bit which may make the pack more comfortable as it molds to your body but can do the opposite as well.

You might want to try wearing a rash guard or UA compression top.

You could tie a bandana or spare sock around the offending strap or even your arm. The pads made for seatbelts might work. And old nylons have a lot of camp uses.

Some sternum straps make the outside of shoulder straps lift and gouge into your inner arm and the inner edges gouge into your chest. Try wrapping the sternum strap under the shoulder strap so that it pulls together from the outer edge rather than the inner. With a light weight pack and proper fit the sternum strap should not need to be tight or even used. I usually try to remove them. If they do not come off, I cut a small piece out of the back bar that runs under the webbing they slide on so that if someone else needs to use the pack, they can be restored.

This is not an uncommon problem even for guys. Keep looking and you will find a pack that works for you. And do not worry too much about the small discomforts--there will be lots of big discomforts to worry about on the trail--just carry some tylenol...or like when I started back in the '60s, a bit of Everclear!

You might also look through some of the pictures here of people wearing packs and see how other packs fit for them.

SwingLow
02-05-2011, 18:55
Are you thru hiking? These are the packs I have used but I returned the first two because they are not what I want for a thru hike. The padding is pretty good and I never had any problems with them rubbing, like when I tried on some packs. Have you tried Glide Anti-chafe?

http://www.rei.com/product/809322

http://www.rei.com/product/734346

http://www.rei.com/product/780218

http://www.rei.com/product/745879

gumball
02-05-2011, 20:11
I've had this problem before, but not with the granite gear vapor ki. Might be worth a try. Also, might want to purchase some crocuses sheep skin that's used on the set belt harness. This did help me when it was an issue with other packs.

skooch
02-05-2011, 21:17
Great ideas. I've also had a few possible solutions in my private messages. I plan to try all good suggestions. Thanks.
Please know that I read a lot of posts daily and never start a thread without trying this site's "search". Unfortunately it rarely pulls up anything close to what I'm looking for.
I can't wait to stand on McAfee knob and spead my arms revealing huge wings of chaffed skin and soar!

gumball
02-06-2011, 07:05
I've had this problem before, but not with the granite gear vapor ki. Might be worth a try. Also, might want to purchase some crocuses sheep skin that's used on the set belt harness. This did help me when it was an issue with other packs.

I apologize, I wrote this response on my ipad and it has an auto correct feature that I need to pay attention to--not sure what "crocuses" was supposed to be, and of course, that's seat belt, not set belt. sorry. gum

skooch
02-24-2011, 21:24
Good news, I found my pack today! My wonderful outfitter ordered the
Osprey Exos 46 L. size medium, superlight, 2lb 5oz. No modifications necessary. The strap padding is shorter before the buckle, much narrower and not as thick as most packs. Just right for my 3 mo summer hike. I'll start training with it tomorrow. Hope this info helps someone else. After all that's what this site is all about. Peace

Slosteppin
02-24-2011, 23:08
Glad to see you found a pack that works. My favorite pack is an Osprey Exos, now. Just a comment from me. My first backpack trip was about 130 miles in northern Michigan along Lake Superior. My pack totaled 75 lb to start. It was soon very painful. My 18 y o son carried about the same. He got very unpleasant at times.
We started planning our next trip on the drive home.

I now own five packs and the Osprey is the best combination of weight and comfort. After over 30 years bakpacking I'm still not satisfied with most of my gear. I'm finally happy with my pack and the Neoair I sleep on, everything elso is subject to change.

Turtle Feet
02-24-2011, 23:09
Cool! So glad to hear it Skooch!

sbhikes
02-24-2011, 23:31
I have that chafing problem. While I didn't think my Gossamer Gear pack was the best feeling pack as far as my back was concerned, what I did like was that the padding in the straps was separate. The idea behind the pack was that you could either use foam or you could use the straps to store extra socks. I chose to use the foam and so I cut it narrower, sort of cut semi-circles out, to accommodate my arms. They fit much better. Straps where the foam is all sewn in don't let you do that, so I try to at least find straps that are curved somewhat and not too wide.

Country Roads
02-26-2011, 19:45
I most generally use women's packs; they have narrow and curved shoulder straps. You might also try antichaffing stuff like Sportslick, Hydropel, Body Glide, etc. I always one of these; they are good for chaffing, heat rash and preventing foot blisters (or blisters in other friction areas).

Keep looking, you will find a pack that works!

tlap
02-26-2011, 23:54
Awesome, Skooch. The Exos is a great pack when it fits. I have one and love it. At first, I didn't like the way the frame sat on my hips. Now, it's not officially an adjustable frame, but I found that by placing it on the floor and stepping gently on the bottom corners of the frame, I was able to reshape it to the curve of my hips.

skooch
02-27-2011, 09:14
my body shape is muscular, narrow hips and broader shoulders. I walked around the store with 30lbs in it and all felt well. I'll start training in it that way while breaking in my new boots. any training suggestions? I heard bags of dog food make the best and most stable weights. peace

gumball
02-27-2011, 18:54
I train with as much of my regular gear as I can, sans food. That way weight distribution is reasonably the same. Also good practice for packing and unpacking your pack. Gum.

Ladytrekker
02-27-2011, 20:34
I use a ULA Circuit and it does not chafe me but I also recently received an email from ULA that they have developed shoulder straps for women for their packs. You may want to take a look at them.

New Shoulder Straps

The S straps were designed specifically for women but also work very well for men who are on the slighter side.
The shoulder straps are sewn slightly closer together, then curve to the outside as they come over the shoulder.
Most women are finding them more comfortable, and both Rodney and Chris, both of whom are about 5'10" and 160# prefer them to the J strap
Don't hesitate to call or email (http://www.whiteblaze.net/contact.asp) with any further questions