PDA

View Full Version : Canned Corned Beef ?

Front Royal Mike
02-05-2011, 08:52
Just finished the thread regarding Spam,I agree ,Spam is good.I think I read somewhere that corned beef has much higher protein content,does anyone eat canned corned beef on the trail ? You could make "singles" with a vacuum bagger ,would vac bagging be safe ?

Tuckahoe
02-05-2011, 12:46
My GOD NO!!! Have much experience with that stuff through Great War reenacting and I cannot believe that people actually eat it. It is God aweful nasty.

The benefit with Spam singles is the easy packaging. I dont see too many folks carrying a 12 ounce can of corned beef, and if attempting to creat singles by vacum bagging I believe that you would lose the preservation of the can.

halftime
02-05-2011, 13:57
Corned Beef and Potatoes

1 package au gratin potatoes (cheese mix included)
1 canned corned beef (small)
dry onion flakes (to taste)
1/4 cup dry carrots and/or other vegetables (as preferred)
1/3 cup non-fat dry milk
butter or butter flavor (optional)
other spices (optional)

Bring water to a boil. Add potatoes, dry onions and vegetables. When mixture is cooked to preference, drain any excess water (well away from camp area ) leaving about 1/3 cup of water in the pot with the mixture. Add dry milk and cheese sauce mixture; stir well. Add corned beef in bite size pieces. Return to heat, stirring continuously until corn beef is fully heated and everything is well mixed. Add other spices, butter or butter flavor as desired.

Also works with Spam or other substitute for the corned beef.

Wise Old Owl
02-05-2011, 14:40
My GOD NO!!! Have much experience with that stuff through Great War reenacting and I cannot believe that people actually eat it. It is God aweful nasty.

The benefit with Spam singles is the easy packaging. I dont see too many folks carrying a 12 ounce can of corned beef, and if attempting to creat singles by vacum bagging I believe that you would lose the preservation of the can.

What?

You can create two dried corned beef dried FBC packs from one can and reduce the ounces by a third. Add a little sea salt and chinese soy packet for re hydration. Should be lighter than a spam single and more nutritious.

Tuckahoe
02-05-2011, 14:50
What?

You can create two dried corned beef dried FBC packs from one can and reduce the ounces by a third. Add a little sea salt and chinese soy packet for re hydration. Should be lighter than a spam single and more nutritious.

Sorry, I didnt think about dehydrating. Only saw his question about vacum packing and assumed he was asking about it straight from the can.

But I am sorry WOO... what you are describing is still the most god awefull concoction known to man.

On the other hand, I wonder how Amour roast beef and gravy would work out.

Wise Old Owl
02-05-2011, 14:57
Corned beef with Worcestershire? Instead? Wow..

Trailbender
02-05-2011, 19:13
Canned corned beef is absolutely delicious.

sarbar
02-05-2011, 22:38
Up next we will have a thread on cried chipped beef :D

It was so salty even my never full 13 year old said no...lol!

http://blog.trailcooking.com/2010/11/13/the-salt-bowl-yes-it-used-to-be-like-this/

Tuckahoe
02-05-2011, 22:47
Ummmm... you do know to soak dried beef first right? I mean that is something I learned when I was a child way back in the 1970s...

sarbar
02-06-2011, 00:11
Ummmm... you do know to soak dried beef first right? I mean that is something I learned when I was a child way back in the 1970s...

The only reason I did the recipe that way is I was following a recipe in a vintage trail cookbook (I collect them, around 100 now in my library). Anyhow, said recipe was from the 70's if I remember and no, didn't call for soaking.

While soaking does help remove the salt the dried chipped beef is also considerable different these days than what I remember as a kid. It is flexible - of which it wasn't back then. Highly, highly preserved.

BTW, even scarier is the jar - it talks about how you can take the sheets of chipped beef and spread them with cream cheese for appetizers. :eek: Y-U-C-K....

sarbar
02-06-2011, 00:12
Oops...sorry, the book was from 1992! Anyhow, same point.

Surplusman
02-06-2011, 06:03
Corned beef with Worcestershire? Instead? Wow..

Corned beef is just an excuse to use Worcestershire sauce. The more the better. As for being nasty, I think Spam tops the list. Heart attack in a can. But I stay away from both of these things for health reasons.

Surplusman
02-06-2011, 06:17

Bring back Maconochie Stew! :)

leaftye
02-06-2011, 06:24
Corned Beef and Potatoes

I love that stuff.

russb
02-06-2011, 07:42
The only reason I did the recipe that way is I was following a recipe in a vintage trail cookbook (I collect them, around 100 now in my library).

That must be a pretty cool collection. What are some of your favorite old books?

sarbar
02-06-2011, 17:57
That must be a pretty cool collection. What are some of your favorite old books?

Of all of them I'd say my favorite is Supermarket Backpacker by Harriet Barker (http://www.amazon.com/Supermarket-Backpacker-Harriet-Barker/dp/0809273071/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1297029291&sr=1-1) - she would have been a cool lady to have met! After reading all of the books (and I do actually read them from front to back) I can tell you that her ideas were the base of many a BP magazine article/recipe over the years. She was way ahead of her time really! (When I was pregnant last year and just sitting around I read every copy of BP magazine online via the Google scans...boy that was a LOT of reading. Wow.)

sarbar
02-06-2011, 17:58
PS: I have a list of all the books up on my blog, under "Trail Library (http://blog.trailcooking.com/trail-library/)". I do have more books I need to add though...sigh!

Hikes in Rain
02-06-2011, 21:01
Been searching for some of those. You wouldn't believe what some of those are worth! Might want to check your insurance riders.....:sun

sarbar
02-07-2011, 01:02
I have a shopping list always with me - just in case I wander by a used book store :D The list is still around 50 deep. Some I doubt I will ever find a copy of though. For example there was a booklet put out by REI way back in the day on cooking when backpacking. The way I find some of them is the referenced books in the back of books - the "for more information see these books". You know it is rare when you can not find anything out there, except for an ISBN # scanned into Google Books online.

Ah well! But oddly I luck out often at library book sales since often people donate whole houses worth of books to them (they raise money for programs out here that way in our county - and the library system is the 2nd biggest in the US. Woo-hoo!)

Buffalo Skipper
02-07-2011, 12:28
MMMMMM! Corned Beef! I may have to do some research and create my own CB freezer bag recipe.

I am salivating just thinking about it.....

Is it lunchtime yet?

Wise Old Owl
02-07-2011, 13:24
Chipped beef is something I am familiar with making me very sick, the sodium and nitrate is off the scale... IF this is something you like and cant tolerate the salt... Washing it is one answer, cutting up a potato and adding it to the pot will soak up some of the salt. Then discard that potato. Its right up there with using half the Ramen packet.

sarbar
02-08-2011, 12:13
Did I mention how the chipped beef smelled? :p I swear it smelled like Alpo :D Pee-yew.....

Oaks
04-26-2012, 08:23
Seems to me the AT runs right through scrapple country. Looking forward to it....

kayak karl
04-26-2012, 08:59
where do they sell these BIG cans that make 2 meals.
1 can, ketchup, 6 pieces of bread :)
,but that would be a good idea taking it hiking.

waasj
04-29-2012, 10:19
Brings to mind an idea. Slide the corned beef out of the can, slice it and dehydrate it. That way you will have a couple of "hockey pucks" that can be reconstituted with ease.

Yes, Stew can be dehydrated and it works well.

Everybody has their favorite food that someone else finds disgusting. Can't we all just get along???

seminole
04-29-2012, 10:50
According to the Hormel website, they also sell corned beef hash in single serving pouches.

oldbear
04-29-2012, 12:40
Just finished the thread regarding Spam,I agree ,Spam is good.I think I read somewhere that corned beef has much higher protein content,does anyone eat canned corned beef on the trail ? You could make "singles" with a vacuum bagger ,would vac bagging be safe ?
Why re-invent the wheel ?
Just buy some sliced -to -your - preference- corned beef from your local market and bag it.
Will it last 6 months ?
No
Will it last week on trail ?
Yes
The thing is that the little buggers that force you to sit on the throne all night ( even though you're a member of royalty) don't like very salty things bc it's toxic to them..........which is why it's been used as a preservative for thousands of years

WingedMonkey
04-29-2012, 13:27
How many times over the years have you broken the metal strip while using the key to open a can of corned beef?

Now they have the stuff in "normal" cans that can open with any can opener (or the always in my bag P-38).

Found the cans at BJ's, they also have it at Sams. Put out by Butterfield Farms

atraildreamer
04-29-2012, 15:52
Of all of them I'd say my favorite is Supermarket Backpacker by Harriet Barker (http://www.amazon.com/Supermarket-Backpacker-Harriet-Barker/dp/0809273071/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1297029291&sr=1-1) - she would have been a cool lady to have met! After reading all of the books (and I do actually read them from front to back) I can tell you that her ideas were the base of many a BP magazine article/recipe over the years. She was way ahead of her time really! (When I was pregnant last year and just sitting around I read every copy of BP magazine online via the Google scans...boy that was a LOT of reading. Wow.)

How do you do that? :confused: (No...not the pregnancy part...:rolleyes: I know how that works! :D) How do you use the Google scans? :)

WingedMonkey
04-29-2012, 16:18
How do you do that? :confused: (No...not the pregnancy part...:rolleyes: I know how that works! :D) How do you use the Google scans? :)

http://www.google.com/search?tbm=bks&tbo=1&q=backpacker+magazine&btnG=

WingedMonkey
04-29-2012, 16:24
Actually this link is better for just the magazine, without the sales.

http://www.google.com/search?q=backpacker&btnG=Search+Books&tbm=bks&tbo=1

oldbear
04-29-2012, 17:28
Why re-invent the wheel ?
Just buy some sliced -to -your - preference- corned beef from your local market and bag it.
Will it last 6 months ?
No
Will it last week on trail ?
Yes
The thing is that the little buggers that force you to sit on the throne all night ( even though you're a member of royalty) don't like very salty things bc it's toxic to them..........which is why it's been used as a preservative for thousands of years
OOPS !!
Me bad
I just re-invented the wheel I told you not to re-invent
Your local supermarket carries cryovac packaged sliced corn beef

waasj
05-01-2012, 22:22
Brings to mind an idea. Slide the corned beef out of the can, slice it and dehydrate it. That way you will have a couple of "hockey pucks" that can be reconstituted with ease.

Yes, Stew can be dehydrated and it works well.

Everybody has their favorite food that someone else finds disgusting. Can't we all just get along???

Dried the corned beef and the "hockey puck" idea works, but the pucks are a bit crumbly, sort of like trail gravel. I'm thinking it will be yummy mixed in grits for breakfast. Also dried a can of chile and that works well ( open the can and spread the chile on a liner, don't just stick the can in the dehydrator!! I can already see that one coming...). Looks like a cow pie, but probably tastes better.

Wise Old Owl
05-01-2012, 22:31
dried Sauerkraut ... with a malt vinegar packet...or two....

WIAPilot
05-01-2012, 22:45
Sarbar: Wow! Great list of trail cookbooks! I've just purchased quite a few from your list. Thanks.

SunnyWalker
11-22-2012, 11:56
Corned Beef reminds me of SOS!!!!!! YUUUUUUUUUUUUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM . . . . .

SunnyWalker
11-22-2012, 12:01
IF YOU'RE A VEGETARIAN (opps, didn't mean to have it capitalized) just admit you are against meat! We don't care about your worries about the nitrates this, and the salts this, and the poisons that! OK!? We don' talk about your RABBIT FOOD like that!!!! (smile, nibble, nibble, squeak, squeak)

Hairbear
11-22-2012, 12:09
Canned corned beef is absolutely delicious.try cooking it with taco seasoning i like it that way too.great in wraps

doritotex
11-22-2012, 12:50
YES!! I dehydrate canned corned beef. For me one can equals 2 servings that I mix with my morning grits. I get tired of oatmeal, cereal, pop tarts for breakfast and plain grits are boring and tasteless. I find that corned beef added along with an individual sargento cheese gives me a big energy boost in the morning if I have a long climb to start the day. I am up that mountain before I know it with all those fat calories!!

Pathfinder1
11-22-2012, 14:13
Hi...

SPAM has some 'interesting' flavors now...although not necessarily edible...!! Bacon flavor, barbeque flavor, pepper flavor (that's all that come to mind). Tried the bacon and barbeque...unspectacular, although somewhat improved when fried.

oldbear
11-22-2012, 14:26
Guys
Why go through the expense and effort of re-inventing the universe when the individually sliced, packaged , cryo-vac product that you seek is readily available in almost any supermarket , anywhere USA

Hikes in Rain
12-11-2012, 21:42
It's not all that bad right out of the can with a little catsup. But better cooked in a skillet, with a little onion, a couple of eggs poached on top, and some cheese melted all over. Take that, you arteries!

greywolf1974
12-11-2012, 21:43
ive done it on the trail - in the can

cybernugz
12-12-2012, 02:46
All this talk is making me hungry..

Portie
02-23-2013, 12:21
Canned corned beef must be a staple in some Latin American countries because I used to see it i large quantities all the time in Latin grocery stores, and it was really cheap until 10-12 years ago. Now it's considerably more than Spam.

WingedMonkey
02-23-2013, 13:02
Canned corned beef must be a staple in some Latin American countries because I used to see it i large quantities all the time in Latin grocery stores, and it was really cheap until 10-12 years ago. Now it's considerably more than Spam.

There was an extreme shortage back in 2011 after the U.S. Department of Agriculture discovered high levels of an anti-parasitic drug used for animals in batches produced at a packing plant in Brazil, where most of the product is produced.

And as usual in the food business the price rose during the shortage and then when the supply returned to normal the prices stayed high.

Starchild
02-27-2013, 11:21
I have used canned spam, corned beef, and also ham (plus some other things) on backpacks. I liked the spam the least, though that was only once and perhaps I got a bad one. Both the ham and corned beef have a much more mushy quality when canned so a different texture then what one may be expecting, and usually very salty too, though I have had some canned hams that were not that salty. But after that is said and done it was 'good' taste wise, and I would consider regularly again at resupplies. Yes the can weight sucks, though all in all it is a good concentration of to me vital nutrients that really works well for me. I may try spam again, I suspect I will, hoping for a better outcome then last time.

BigRing
02-28-2013, 20:24
This is a great first night out dinner, when you can have a nice fire. it is helpful to premake these, but they can be made in the field. Break up a can of corned beef. Take some pizza dough flatten out small round pieces of dough. Place a portion of the beef in the dough and fold it over.....like a small calzone. Wrap in foil and place near the coals.....Mmmmmmmm!

Wise Old Owl
02-28-2013, 21:08
Corned beef is just an excuse to use Worcestershire sauce. The more the better. As for being nasty, I think Spam tops the list. Heart attack in a can. But I stay away from both of these things for health reasons.

What happened to a cheap steak and A1? an awesome steak with au Jus?
Do you get the feeling that Pork Shoulder can be upgraded? Watch Bobby Flay.. it is not heart attack in the can...

Chipped beef is something I am familiar with making me very sick, the sodium and nitrate is off the scale... IF this is something you like and cant tolerate the salt... Washing it is one answer, cutting up a potato and adding it to the pot will soak up some of the salt. Then discard that potato. Its right up there with using half the Ramen packet.

haven't changed my mind on that old post.

This is a great first night out dinner, when you can have a nice fire. it is helpful to premake these, but they can be made in the field. Break up a can of corned beef. Take some pizza dough flatten out small round pieces of dough. Place a portion of the beef in the dough and fold it over.....like a small calzone. Wrap in foil and place near the coals.....Mmmmmmmm!

interesting... but strange... block cheese and Pepperoni have major unrefrigerated shelf life and you can make a real calzone.. take it up a notch.

4Bears
02-28-2013, 21:36
Use a can of Pilbury Grand Bisquits, use half for your calzones, flatten them out, then use whatever meat you choose, some ketchup and cheese. The other half just bake them up to use for meals the next day, while eating supper. Not much work or waste to carry out.