PDA

View Full Version : Light hiking around GSMNP

DVNDSN
02-05-2011, 15:25
My wife, son and I are wanting to do a little light hiking trip near Knoxville, TN. My wife picked out the Abrams Falls Trail in Cades Cove, but I figured I would get some good advice from people on this forum. We haven't hiked in a while, so we are looking to do around 4-7 miles round trip. We will be fully prepared for any short hikes, but we just want to know what's good around this area. Take note, my son will be 8 months old when we go. We have the equipment necessary to navigate terrain with him, so no worries there. Starting him early!:banana

carpattack
02-05-2011, 16:11
Little River Trail in Elkmont is a nice flat trail along the river, but is 6-7 miles long...there are a few trails off of it that you could turn it into a loop hike. You could turn that one into an overnight and hike it back out the next day...great camp site at end of trail. Old Sugarlands Trail outside of Sugarlands is also a nice hike. If you want a real easy trail that your son could handle, try the Gatlinburg Trail...2 miles back and forth. Whatever you don't find as far as gear at Nats (I used to live in Glasgow) you can find at the Great Outpost in Gatlinburg

DVNDSN
02-05-2011, 17:34
Okay, I'm really interested in the Little River Trail. I'll talk to my wife, plan it out, and comment back on here what we end up doing. I'll dig the thread up when we get back and let you know how it went! Thanks for your help!

vibbertations
02-05-2011, 18:01
Little River Trail in Elkmont is a nice flat trail along the river, but is 6-7 miles long...there are a few trails off of it that you could turn it into a loop hike. You could turn that one into an overnight and hike it back out the next day...great camp site at end of trail. Old Sugarlands Trail outside of Sugarlands is also a nice hike. If you want a real easy trail that your son could handle, try the Gatlinburg Trail...2 miles back and forth. Whatever you don't find as far as gear at Nats (I used to live in Glasgow) you can find at the Great Outpost in Gatlinburg

When did you used to live in Glasgow? The reason I'm asking...is I did too. And I love Nat's!

colonel r
02-05-2011, 18:04
School House Gap, Porters Creek, Injun Creek, or Ramsey's Cascades. If you are going now, you might look for vista trails. A little later the first two are excellent wild flower trails. Injun Creek is really "Engine" creek, as an old logging locomotive is in the creek.
Ramsey's cascades has a really nice water fall, similar to Abrahams Falls.
My wife and I took notes when we did those so if you want more details of our experience, just ask. Although we did not have a kid along.

DVNDSN
02-05-2011, 20:16
Okay, I'm a little confused. Carpattack said the Little River Trail is 6-7 miles long. But this -> http://www.hikinginthesmokys.com/littleriver.htm says it's 4.9 miles round trip. That's a pretty big difference. Honestly, I believe Carpattack, but I need to be sure because thats the difference for us between hiking in and hiking out, or hiking in, camping, then hiking out. Also, just for clarification and according to the same website, Abrams Falls trail is 5 miles round trip correct? http://www.hikinginthesmokys.com/abrams.htm

carpattack
02-05-2011, 20:30
Okay, I'm a little confused. Carpattack said the Little River Trail is 6-7 miles long. But this -> http://www.hikinginthesmokys.com/littleriver.htm says it's 4.9 miles round trip. That's a pretty big difference. Honestly, I believe Carpattack, but I need to be sure because thats the difference for us between hiking in and hiking out, or hiking in, camping, then hiking out. Also, just for clarification and according to the same website, Abrams Falls trail is 5 miles round trip correct? http://www.hikinginthesmokys.com/abrams.htm

The website you checked out is turning it into a loop trail so you actually turn onto cucumber gap trail and come back, which makes it a 4.9 mile trail (the loop hike I mentioned). If you go all the way to the end to campsite #30, it's 6.2 miles...I did forget to mention that there are a few creek crossings with a big one at the end before the campsite, but it is a really nice secluded campsite. If you were to hike all the way in, camp at #30 and hike out, you are looking at 12.4 miles total. Abrams Falls is 5 miles round trip (the trail continues past the falls, but obviously you won't need to hike that part).

carpattack
02-05-2011, 20:36
When did you used to live in Glasgow? The reason I'm asking...is I did too. And I love Nat's!

Lived in Glasgow from 2003-2006. I was the youth minister at a church there till they couldn't handle me anymore :)

DVNDSN
02-05-2011, 20:41
The website you checked out is turning it into a loop trail so you actually turn onto cucumber gap trail and come back, which makes it a 4.9 mile trail (the loop hike I mentioned). If you go all the way to the end to campsite #30, it's 6.2 miles...I did forget to mention that there are a few creek crossings with a big one at the end before the campsite, but it is a really nice secluded campsite. If you were to hike all the way in, camp at #30 and hike out, you are looking at 12.4 miles total. Abrams Falls is 5 miles round trip (the trail continues past the falls, but obviously you won't need to hike that part).

I see what your saying, and am aware of the creek crossings on the Little River Trail. I definitely don't want to sound ignorant here, but my wife and I have a hardcore stroller, we've taken it down a very rugged horse trail before. That said, would the creek crossings be okay for it? If not I wouldn't mind folding it up and lugging it across. It would only be a one night hike anyways, so our pack(s) would be light. Is there a footbridge at the end of the Little River Trail over the crossing before the campsite? BTW, thanks so much for all this information, it's really helping me plan this out!

DVNDSN
02-05-2011, 21:30
I really like orienteering and planning hikes, but it's been a while since I have done so. Please check my math on this! All calculations are based on a 1.5 mph pace because we will have our son (and that's the average pace of a hiker in the GSMNP according to their website). So here we go: The Little Ridge Trail to Cucumber Gap and back is 4.9 miles. 4.9/1.5 = 3.27 Since calculators don't go by minutes, this is 3 hours and 17 minutes or so to do the loop.
If you go all the way to campsite # 30, it's 6.2 miles. 6.2/1.5 = 4.13 OR 4 hours and 5 minutes or so. So if you hike to the campsite, camp, and hike back out, total hiking time should be 8 hours and 10 minutes. I believe this is correct, but I just want to be sure. Like I said, it's been a while!

carpattack
02-05-2011, 22:07
Your calculations look about right. Hiking out seemed to be a little quicker since it is a gradual decline in elevation. None of the creek crossings have a foot bridge to cross and the last one to the campsite might require some maneuvering with everything...it is a big crossing where 3 creeks come together (but it makes for a nice camping spot with plenty of water access.

carpattack
02-05-2011, 22:22
One other thing to take into consideration is rain/ snow melting. Could cause creeks to swell and might make it pretty difficult to cross.

DVNDSN
02-05-2011, 23:52
Okay, I'll take that into account. Do you recommend me call the Sugarlands Visitors Center or the Elkmont Ranger Station to check on the conditions when the time comes?

DVNDSN
02-06-2011, 01:42
One thing we are concerned about is how wide and deep the creek is just before campsite #30. Is it normally ankle deep? Knee deep?

carpattack
02-06-2011, 11:13
You could call either station for info. There were rocks to cross the creek on, just be careful not to slip...it was maybe a little deeper than ankle deep, the melting snow and rain could change that.

DVNDSN
02-06-2011, 22:29
Okay, gotcha. I'll call the ranger station tomorrow, thank you so much for all your help!

DVNDSN
03-06-2011, 16:59
The week before our trip (last Wednesday) our son was diagnosed with RSV (a respiratory virus). He had a low grade fever Friday night, but it has gone away. His nose has been less runny, but his cough is that of a person who has been smoking for 40+ years. He has all sorts of flem mangled in his throat. We are giving him some medicine, and will make our decision on whether or not to go Tuesday night (the night before we leave). We have already cancelled our plans with our friends in Knoxville because the wife is pregnant and our 8 month old is contagious. I'll post again Tuesday and let you know what we do.

carpattack
03-06-2011, 21:34
Praying for a speedy recovery for your little guy!

DVNDSN
03-08-2011, 02:44
Doctor gave us the okay to go. We are leaving tomorrow as soon as he's done feeding! Little man is feeling okay, we will have rain all day, but we have rain gear for all of us! I'll post updates throughout the week (hopefully).

DVNDSN
03-08-2011, 02:44
By the way, thank you dearly for your prayers brother!

flemdawg1
03-08-2011, 09:31
T... He has all sorts of flem mangled in his throat. ....

Leave me out of it.:cool:

Gray Blazer
03-08-2011, 13:16
Best short little hike in GSMP-Mt. Sterling Gap to tower and back.

J5man
03-08-2011, 13:36
Great to see some Bowling Green connections on here! I was born and raised there and still have family there and I get back there a couple times a year. (will be there at the end of this month for a wedding!) Agree with the comment about Nat's being a great store! Also Red River Gorge in the eatern part of the state is also a great hiking area in KY. Anyway, enjoy your hike this weekend!

Sassafras Lass
03-08-2011, 14:10
My wife, son and I are wanting to do a little light hiking trip near Knoxville, TN. My wife picked out the Abrams Falls Trail in Cades Cove, but I figured I would get some good advice from people on this forum. We haven't hiked in a while, so we are looking to do around 4-7 miles round trip. We will be fully prepared for any short hikes, but we just want to know what's good around this area. Take note, my son will be 8 months old when we go. We have the equipment necessary to navigate terrain with him, so no worries there. Starting him early!:banana

I really enjoyed the Abrams Falls trail, it's fairly level and the falls are quite lovely.

Rainbow Falls trail is also a good trail, but receives heavy traffic.

carpattack
03-08-2011, 17:39
Let us know how your hike goes!

DVNDSN
03-14-2011, 13:58
Well, here's an overview of how it all went: My son got RSV the weekend before we left. We didn't leave for our friends house until Tuesday. We stayed there that night AND Wednesday night. We chose to skip out on camping all together because of heavy rain and flooding in the area. My wife and I drove around Cades Cove Loop on Thursday and saw quite a bit of flooding. Our little car made it through though, and we were able to see some wildlife, mountains, the Abrams Falls trailhead, and we even stopped in the Visitors Center on the loop for a little shopping. I picked up the "Hiking Trails of the Smokies" book, which I devoured (and still am). We also got a GSM sticker for our car not just because we were there, but because we will definitely be back. Besides, it was already our umpteenth time in the park since we were kids! I think we earned it anyways. This is why: The next day (Friday) we left our cabin at 11, and went to the Abrams Falls trailhead with my sister. We decided to get our stroller

DVNDSN
03-14-2011, 14:22
Well, here's an overview of how it all went: My son got RSV the weekend before we left. We didn't leave for our friends house until Tuesday. We stayed there that night AND Wednesday night. We chose to skip out on camping all together because of heavy rain and flooding in the area. My wife and I drove around Cades Cove Loop on Thursday and saw quite a bit of flooding. Our little car made it through though, and we were able to see some wildlife, mountains, the Abrams Falls trailhead, and we even stopped in the Visitors Center on the loop for a little shopping. I picked up the "Hiking Trails of the Smokies" book, which I devoured (and still am). We also got a GSM sticker for our car not just because we were there, but because we will definitely be back. Besides, it was already our umpteenth time in the park since we were kids! I think we earned it anyways.

This is why: The next day (Friday) we left our cabin at 11, and went to the Abrams Falls trailhead with my sister. We decided to get our stroller http://www.bobgear.com/revolutionSE and take it on the trail with us (don't ask me why, I can't remember). Well, we hit the trail smooth for the first half mile (MAYYYBE) then came the rocks and hills! We literally pushed that thing (with my son in and out of it) the whole trail. Well, maybe not "pushed", more like "lugged", "carried", and whatever else you can do with a stroller. HAHA. We got a lot of weird looks, like we were ghosts or something. I can't blame them, who brings a stroller? It IS light though!

My wife, the awesome woman she is, hoisted the thing over her back WITH my Osprey Atmos 65 pack on her back too, and carried it over the footbridge creek crossings on the way back. I had it on the way to the falls. I carried my 8 month old the whole way back. When you see my wifes calves, you begin to understand why she pushed the stroller, and I carried my son. She can't carry him very far at all. We've taken the stroller down a horse trail before, but this was a little more rocky and steep! It was good fun though. We got to the top ridge and looked out over the "horseshoe" part of the river. It was a little cool, but nothing too bad for us. Pictures will be posted in my album on here when I get home. They won't be hard to find because they will be the only ones there!

We wore in our shoes quite a bit as the ground was still wet, and there were some pretty awesome puddles to tread through. On the way there (Thursday with the flooding), I put on my rain gear and stood under a waterfall just off the road leading into Cades Cove. I'll post a picture of that too later.

We started hiking around 12:15 or so (if I remember right), and got done around 4:30. We didn't anticipate the 5 footbridges, so that (AND our stroller of course) slowed us down considerably. We felt great when we were done hiking though. Took along my little sister too, she did fine, she can hold her own.

Since it rained the day before, we saw some good snow-capped mountains and even were able to drive up the mountain, and literally watch the rain turn to snow, and vice versa on the way back (this was Thursday).

The hike on Friday was awesome, and like I said, I think we earned our GSM sticker so it's pasted on the back of our car. We'll be back for sure when our son is older, and we can hike with more flow! We ate at IHOP on our last day, and our waiter saw my book and wrote down some hikes I should take into consideration. Gregory's Bald was one, and we have already put that one near the top of our list. He made a good point about my book, they had another book for day hikes at the Visitors Center, and he mentioned I should have gotten that one because it shows hikes that are easily accessible by road. I still like my book though because it has all the trails in the Smokies and is very easy to read!

No better way to spend my Spring Break than that trip though. Our friends were awesome, hiking was beautiful, and our cabin was up one wicked crazy, windy road on top of a mountain. Good times!

EastCoastFeastCoast
03-14-2011, 15:42
Glad you guys had fun! Like I mentioned earlier, the two books are great and go well together for any and all hiking in the GSMNP. I love the trail descriptions, pointing out things to look for along the way you might not notice at all. Gregory's Bald is a great hike, good suggestion. Wasn't the weather amazing? I was up on Jakes Creek/Gap and it was 65degrees and snow everywhere!

carpattack
03-14-2011, 20:36
Glad you had a great time..with over a hundred trails it's easy to be flexible in the smokies. Great book...i have worn mine out. We went down November and was going to hike the chimneys trail. It was 65 in Gatlinburg and ice on the chimney trail and snow the further up the mountain you get. I love it!

DVNDSN
03-16-2011, 12:57
Pictures are posted, they are the only pictures in my album as of now. Not hard to find!

EastCoastFeastCoast
03-16-2011, 14:02
Little man is going to be a park ranger, I can tell already! Looks like you guys had fun! You guys are BEAST for taking that huge stroller with you. A lot less snow than my trip, haha! I'll post my pics here in a second.

DVNDSN
03-16-2011, 14:26
HAHA If my little man grew up to be a park ranger, I would be one proud papa. We totally regretted lugging the stroller along the trail, but gladly accept the "Only Couple to Lug a Stroller Along Abrams Falls Trail" award!

carpattack
03-16-2011, 15:57
Pictures look great. Glad you all had a great time. There are always things going on around the park like the jr. Ranger program, so who knows...

carpattack
03-16-2011, 16:00
Hoping to hike the little river trail in a few weeks on my wife's spring break...we are also wanting to hit up noc's at weekend in April so we might make it a long weekend but I will post pics after we go.

EastCoastFeastCoast
03-16-2011, 16:50
If you had oars you could have floated that stroller down the river! Hahahahaha