PDA

View Full Version : Snow Shoes

ChinMusic
02-05-2011, 17:49
I've never used them before. I've never even had them on before.

For someone that has not used them:

1. How hard are they to get used to?

2. Do they fry some muscle that doesn't get used as much with just walking?

I'm kinda afraid to use them on a trip only to find some leg muscle just can't hack it.

Colter
02-05-2011, 17:53
Unless you're accustomed to them you'll definitely feel it the next day if you walk very far in them, just like skiing or skating or most things along that line, I suppose.

It feels funny to walk on them at first, but you'll learn the basics very quickly.

Slo-go'en
02-05-2011, 18:58
Not hard at all to get used to. Quite the work out if your breaking trail in freash snow. Besides sinking in a foot, you lift a lot of that snow back up with each step. In conditions like that, 1/2 mile an hour is a fast pace. Its a lot easier if someone has gone ahead of you or on a groomed trail.

I've been going out a couple times a week on the trail near my place this winter, keeping it packed down after each new storm. I figure I'll be in great shape for backpacking this spring! In fact, just got back from a 3 mile loop this afternoon. I was glad to see someone from Mass had gone up ahead of me so I didn't have to break trail again today.

johnnybgood
02-05-2011, 19:35
My experience was they where a little hard to manever at first and you will inevitablely step on one with the other when trying to make a sharp turn.

The learning curve is small though, and you should pick it up the first spin around the block.
The boot clamp needed to be adjusted a few times till I got the jist of it.

Slosteppin
02-05-2011, 20:23
Snowshoeing can be just plain hard work. Be prepared to remove layers. The muscles used are very similar to walking. The big difference is that you are lifting 2 or 3 pounds more with each foot with each step than you do on a summer hike.

I would suggest that you do NOT try to step or walk backwards until you really know what you are doing. You will probably fall when you try.

That last storm should have left your area with some good snow. I would suggest renting or borrowing before buying. There are just too many brands and models with different features.