PDA

View Full Version : Weather in late April in SW Virginia

qwerty
02-06-2011, 01:12
What is the typical weather and temperature ranges like on the AT in SW Virginia in late April? Doing a NOBO section hike and trying to determine if I'll need any cold weather gear... seems like a seasonally marginal time and place to be.
qwerty

topshelf
02-06-2011, 13:17
what is your starting and ending point?

takethisbread
02-06-2011, 14:08
I'm doing a hike of Shenandoah at that time and I am only bringing a heavy shirt and my rain gear. But I plan on taking my zero bag. If I'm walking I'm warm,

topshelf
02-06-2011, 14:19
I'd bring everything to keep me warm down into the 40'sduring the day, and 30's at night. I could shed layers to keep me cool into the 70's.

Rain Man
02-06-2011, 14:28
Those who know advise NOBO thru-hikers to keep their cold-weather gear till after Mt. Rogers. So, you might want to consider that advice.

BTW, thanks for this very timely thread, as I'm considering a possible section hike in SW VA the first week of May. So, I'll look forward to see what folks have to say.

Rain:sunMan

Press
02-06-2011, 21:31
I'm considering same, not concerned about cold, but I have encountered a lot of rain in previous years around this time and this area.

qwerty
02-07-2011, 19:16
Thanks for the Starting point Damascus, ending point possibly Harper's Ferry, or at least how ever far I can get in about a month :) I at least want to hike through Shenandoah. Possibly departing around 4/20. I suppose its safest to bring my thin long-johns set and a light cap (just socks for gloves!) and then just ship that stuff home once I get to Pearisburg..? If its possible it could be 30's at night then I'd like to have that stuff, even if not used much during the day. Yeah I guess Rogers is big mama, might get cold up there. Thanks for the info! Maybe I'll see y'all soon...
AT Spring Fever!!!
qwerty

qwerty
02-07-2011, 19:22
... meant to say "thanks for the info" :) I should note, that I will only have a light weight 35 deg. bag so therefore would want to have an extra underlayer especially in case I got wet. If I were bringing a zero bag then yeah probably that would do it.

Blissful
02-07-2011, 22:24
You can hit 20s at night in SNP in April easily. Zero bag is overkill though. Better to take a 20-25 degree bag and some long underwear. As far as hiking, sure you could be warm unless there's a cold high wind which is frequent up there.

fredmugs
02-08-2011, 12:17
Go to any weather related website and do a 15 day forecast. Then see how accurate it is. Then decide whether you can get any response in Feb that is going to help you at all in April.

Whatever the forecast is I would plan on the lows being 10 degrees colder wherever you set up. Lows were supposed to be over 50 when I went thru SNP and the first night it was 40 when I woke up - froze my @$$ off in the hammock.

Pony
02-09-2011, 13:29
I left Damascus April 15th last year, and was happy I took my thermals and 20* bag. If you are prepared, this time of year is awesome to be hiking north through Virginia.

qwerty
02-14-2011, 18:52
Pony, so it was nice mid-April and early-May in Virginia? Not too much rain during these times? I am trying to decide whether to start my Damascus NOBO hike in mid April or later in May. Which time has more rain? Obviously its hotter in May! Perhaps this is all 6 of one and half dozen of the other...
qwerty