PDA

View Full Version : Garmin 24K maps on Android Phone

qwerty
02-06-2011, 01:49
If I were to purchase some 24K maps from Garmin, would I be able to view those on an Android version 2.2 phone? From what I understand Garmin doesn't offer an Android App to view them, you must own a piece of Garmin hardware right? Is there and Android App I can get to view the 24K topos? Or lets say if I were cell disconnected but was GPS connected on my phone would Google maps show my corresponding position by loading the downloaded 24K maps? (probably dreaming there haha!)
qwerty

BrianLe
02-06-2011, 05:43
1:24k USGS topos you can get in various ways; I've heard the GaiaGPS is a good product, though have no personal experience. Note that you can get USGS maps for free via sites such as libremap.org, then you need software to display it and synchronize it with the GPS in your phone.

But I suggest that you have a look at GaiaGPS (http://www.gaiagps.com/) first.

qwerty
02-07-2011, 19:27
Oh, didn't know about that product, they have an Android version, thanks! I wonder if all 24K topo data formats are the same? Like it doesn't matter where I get the topos, from Garmin or otherwise, Gaia should be able to read the topo data based on my current coordinates, as long as they are stored on the microSD?

BrianLe
02-08-2011, 13:35
It does matter where you get the maps --- the map format can be different (or at least I don't think they all use GeoTiff's), and the map has to be calibrated into the software so the GPS can be used.

That doesn't mean that a map from one source can't be converted to be used with a software from somewhere else, just don't assume that you can copy GeoTiff files onto your SDHC card and that the software will automagically be able to use it in all the ways that you would like or expect.

qwerty
02-08-2011, 13:52
Played with Gaia last night. Didn't like it that much, at least compared to real maps or even a dedicated gps unit. I'm giving up my ambitions to rely on any mapping with my Android while on a long section hike this Spring. I really like geeking out on paper maps during breaks and evenings and don't wish to stare at a small computer screen eating batteries while on these breaks. Thanks for the help and info here BrianLe but I'm going it old school.
qwerty

BrianLe
02-08-2011, 19:42
Whatever works best for you is best for you!

On most trails I'm with you; I do like having something on my phone for the GPS use on most trails but I also want paper maps (and compass).

On the AT in particular, however, it's so well marked that my personal decision last year was to rely on a combination of electronic USGS maps plus a highway (automobile) type of GPS program and not carry paper maps (just paper guidebook pages) and I never regretted that decision, never felt inclined to look at other peoples maps or that sort of thing. I used the topo GPS a couple of times in the snow but otherwise never missed paper maps.

On the CDT this coming year, however, I'll be carrying two types of paper maps, and for the New Mexico part likely three, as well as USGS topo maps on a dedicated GPS. Different trail, (very) different dynamics.

Wise Old Owl
02-14-2011, 20:33
Wow I would think this would be better answered on Backpacker.

Ladytrekker
02-14-2011, 20:38
http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/

Since we are talking about a garmin this site has free download of topo maps. I downloaded the Southeast US and it added a ton of detail to the maps on my garmin I use a Garmin GPSMAP 60csx. But this site has free topo maps for all states.

qwerty
02-15-2011, 22:35
BrianLE thanks again! I was in a store today and looked at some ATC maps of various sections in Virginia (the state I primarily will be hiking in this Spring) and those maps are TERRIBLE. Ugh. So I am not buying them. In other states the ATC maps seem better than these.

I am starting to agree with your idea to get a guidebook and electronic maps only. Dan AWOL Miller is even now selling his guidebook as an unbound looseleaf so I can just carry the pages I need.

I tried a couple other mapping apps and they all sucked except OruxMaps. I found a JAVA program that lets me easily create topo tile sets and then I can move the maps over to my SD card and OruxMaps should be able to load the maps offline. I should be able to also use load gpx files containing AT waypoints on top of those maps. And this should all end up being free! Once I get it all figured out and verified working I will post instructions about how I did it, as I am a GPS novice with an Android 2.2 smartphone which may also be the case with many others out here on White Blaze.

Harrison Bergeron
02-16-2011, 20:00
For $8, I downloaded Topos of the entire US to my Andriod. Amazing!

No, I would certainly not want to depend on it on a long hike where a map is a necessity, but I think most people would consider a topo map a luxury on the AT, anyway.

As an emergency backup, I'm tickled pink to be able to carry Topo's of the entire trail for the weight of the phone I was going to take along anyway. Who wouldn't? The only thing I cared about was the fact that I could type in "Springer Mountain" or "Clingman's Dome" and zoom right down to the AT, and follow that little line past easily recognizable landmarks (even watering holes) right on down the line. It certainly wasn't as easy to use a paper map, but then a Thermorest isn't as easy to use as a Beautyrest, either!

qwerty
02-17-2011, 22:35
Jon what was the product? How much memory did it take to get them all downloaded on your Android? It sounds too good to be true - perhaps you didn't purchase OFFLINE topos stored on your phone, but just an account where you can query and download maps on command. Which means if no connectivity, then no map?
qwerty

qwerty
02-18-2011, 14:42
I got offline maps working now on my Android for free, here is a writeup on how I did it:
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=69596