PDA

View Full Version : Cat Pee

mega82
02-06-2011, 12:47
A cat sprayed my goose down bag and I need to know how to get rid of the smell. I've looked in all the local stores and can not find down cleaner. Due to no gas, we have no heat and I can't wait for mail order.

Do yall think just washing it in a front loading machine will help?

Thanks

Roland
02-06-2011, 12:51
~

Thanks

Yes, it will help, but may take several washings to completely eliminate the odor. For better results, try adding a 1-pound box of baking soda, along with the soap.

Good luck.

LoneRidgeRunner
02-06-2011, 12:51
A cat sprayed my goose down bag and I need to know how to get rid of the smell. I've looked in all the local stores and can not find down cleaner. Due to no gas, we have no heat and I can't wait for mail order.

Thanks

I think NikWax makes a tech-wash for down...first of all I'd be killing that dam cat if you haven't already

LoneRidgeRunner
02-06-2011, 12:53
Many top notch sporting goods stores that specialize in top quality back packing gear sell NikWax products

mega82
02-06-2011, 13:07
Sadly, we have no "good stores" only Wal mart.

How much soap should I use? We only have cold water, Texas cut off the gas flow to our area of NM.

Gipsy
02-06-2011, 13:09
Let me know how this goes. I once had a neighborhood cat "spray" a sliding glass door. We think it was to entice our personal cat. We never got the stain off the glass.

I also had a friend whos cat "sprayed" on a stove eye marking his territory, when a new cat was brought into the living situation. He turned on the eye to burn it off. They had to replace the carpet and re-paint when he moved out of his apt.

If the cat just pee'd on it in a normal fashion to relieve itself, you may be ok. However, if it was done in an attempt to "mark its territory", you may have a much more difficult time.

Roland
02-06-2011, 13:11
Sadly, we have no "good stores" only Wal mart.

How much soap should I use? We only have cold water, Texas cut off the gas flow to our area of NM.

I've used regular laundry detergent (without bleach), with success. Use the recommended amount for a "large" load. Don't forget to add a box of baking soda.

lama3646
02-06-2011, 13:16
I had the same thing happen to my Marmot Helium bag a few years ago.
I used a multi-step process:

First, I sprayed it with Nature's Miracle, purchased at Petsmart in the cat department. (According to the website: This spray instantly breaks down the odor--it doesn't just mask it. Advanced triple-action formula eliminates airborne, fabric and hard surface odors. Features a fresh linen scent.)

Then, a day or so later, used NikWax down cleaner which I ordered from an online site. I hand washed the bag in my tub.

Then, I dried it at a local laundromat in a large industrial size dryer on low heat setting. I threw a couple of tennis balls in with it to break the clumps of down apart. It took a very long time to dry…

The only other option I could think of was to have it professionally cleaned by a place that specialized in laundering down bags. I can’t remember the name of the site I called, but they wanted approx $50 for the service.

My option worked well for me.

Good luck!!

Bucherm
02-06-2011, 14:12
I think NikWax makes a tech-wash for down...first of all I'd be killing that dam cat if you haven't already

As a cat owner, this is essentially why I hang my sleeping bags.

Mongoose2
02-06-2011, 14:26
sudsy ammonia works very well to remove odors from fabric (nasty hiker smells, etc). I have not tried it on a bag, but it may work. You can buy it in the bottle or make your own.....just google it. I have also used white vinegar, but sudsy ammonia works better on odors. DO NOT use it with bleach (liquid or powder)!!

Pedaling Fool
02-06-2011, 14:45
Long term fix to the smell: Fix the cat, not the bag.

Appalachian Tater
02-06-2011, 15:02
Get an enzymatic pet stain/odor product--they work.

mister krabs
02-06-2011, 16:54
enzymatic odor product available at sams club and walmart "Odo-Ban"

Blue Jay
02-06-2011, 17:24
I don't consider this a problem after you wash out most of the smell out for two reasons. One, from personal experience, mice in shelters will be a non issue for you. Two, it will also eliminate Lone Ridge Runner exposure.:banana

mweinstone
02-06-2011, 21:08
oder eliminator such as frabreeze molecularly bond with the oders organicaly raised volitile particals and encapsulates them dropping them to the ground below your nose. washing wont help. spray with frabreeze till soaked. works fine.

mega82
02-06-2011, 21:12
oder eliminator such as frabreeze molecularly bond with the oders organicaly raised volitile particals and encapsulates them dropping them to the ground below your nose. washing wont help. spray with frabreeze till soaked. works fine.

I just don't want to comprimise the down. And I think the pee smells better than frabreeze

Rick500
02-06-2011, 22:32
I don't know whether or not you can use it on down, but white vinegar will kill the smell.

fiddlehead
02-06-2011, 23:59
I agree: Vinegar.
Mixed with water. Spray it a few times over a day's period.
It will most likely be gone in a few days.
Worked for me.

mweinstone
02-07-2011, 00:19
frabreeze hurts absolutly nothing as my 800$ marmot col eq 20 below 900 fill sweetheart can attest to. had to soak it hard with the stuff. cant remember the smell even. i belive it was bearpaws dog. she was old and i wanted her to sleep in my bag before she died. it was a privlage to clean. god bless that sara.

se7enty
02-11-2011, 18:01
"sudsy ammonia works very well to remove odors from fabric"
cat pee is ammonia. i don't think this is going to produce very good results.

like everybody else said, CAT SPECIFIC enzyme cleaner. it really really needs to be cat specific. i used to have a problem with my cat peeing on stuff, never a sleeping bag thankfully. down specific cleaner isn't going to cut it.

gumball
02-11-2011, 18:51
I swear by Nature's Miracle.

harryfred
02-11-2011, 19:34
I swear by Nature's Miracle.
I agree. My wife has 7 cats that don't always behave. It may be available at Walmart. It is at ours. They also have another brand of enzyme cleaner that works well. spray nit on leave it sit to dry. Then wash you should be fine and YES wash in cold water. fluff it up a bit in a cool dryer. Then hang as usual to finish drying.

Carbo
02-11-2011, 22:40
I agree. My wife has 7 cats that don't always behave. It may be available at Walmart. It is at ours. They also have another brand of enzyme cleaner that works well. spray nit on leave it sit to dry. Then wash you should be fine and YES wash in cold water. fluff it up a bit in a cool dryer. Then hang as usual to finish drying.

Do you do this to the cat or the bag?

Gipsy
02-11-2011, 23:16
.............The CATS!

gumball
02-12-2011, 08:20
Lol. I had to take one of my cats to the vet and did not have a carrier (I do now!). It was a stray, I should have known better--it peed all over my passenger seat. It was spring. I tried everything, but the warmer it got, the worse the smell got. Someone turned me on to nature's miracle and "poof" ... odor gone.

Rain Man
02-13-2011, 22:44
This thread could not be timelier for me. We got a new cat last week. It peed on my hammock this past week (I had it out getting ready to lead a backpacking outing this weekend). I thought I got it all washed off, but when I went on the hike, I could smell the cat pee.

So, tomorrow, I have to find some of that Nature's Miracle stuff!

Rain:sunMan