PDA

View Full Version : Bear Vaults in the Dacks??!!

sixguns01
02-06-2011, 14:34
I really really like the Bear Vault Solo and it's the lightest I can find. I've heard conflicting reports about Yellow-Yellow, a bear, in the Eastern Adirondacks that can get through this container and people are told not to use it. How set is this? Some have told me that it's ok to use. I know the odds are in my favor, but I also understand that losing my food is a trip ender. But so is getting struck by lightning is a trip ender as well.

Thoughts?

Appalachian Tater
02-06-2011, 14:38
Use the PCT Method for bear bagging (http://www.google.com/search?q=pct%20method%20bear%20bag).

russb
02-06-2011, 15:17
PCT method cannot be used in the Eastern High peaks region. Cannisters are required. BV was working on a solution to the yellow-yellow problem for a while. I emailed them with a design solution almost 2 years ago when they told me they were working on a new lid. (My solution required a new canister too). Still no update from them. I wonder if they will end up using my solution.

But back to the OP's question. It is a risk you take as is everything, best recommendation is to borrow/rent a garcia or another cannsiter if you are uncomfortable with the risk.

wrongway_08
02-06-2011, 15:38
Need a bear cannister. Just be careful and you will be okay. Not the biggest worry out there. its just the one bear and within a certain portion of the area. When you are in that area, becarful with it and maybe bring a bell, tie it to the cannister - just incase the bear tries to get it.

Don't make too big a deal out of nothing.

nox
02-06-2011, 15:54
I think the new lids have 2 clips instead of 1.. mine has 1 clip and my friend bought his 3 months later and it came with 2.. it's the only difference I have noticed.

russb
02-06-2011, 16:01
I think the new lids have 2 clips instead of 1.. mine has 1 clip and my friend bought his 3 months later and it came with 2.. it's the only difference I have noticed.

Yellow-Yellow figured the "new" one out in less time it took BV to come up with the idea. She's smarter than your average bear! There is no evidence so far that she has taught the technique to her young or any other bear, yet.

Mountain Wildman
02-06-2011, 20:37
There is always the Bearikade Weekender or Scout but they are big bucks.