PDA

View Full Version : Pot cozy

bishopj
02-06-2011, 22:37
You guys think i need to bring a pot cozy for an April 3 start
it don't weight noting at all.I put my Kmart grease pot in it then put the whole thing
in the cooking pouch.But the cozy take up a little more room then i want.

:eek:

mweinstone
02-06-2011, 23:05
pot cozys save fuel witch saves weight witch is more valuble to save than space. pasta finnished cooking in one. coffie needs reheating less often in one. dirty clothes can be washed in one. aliens can be kept at bay with one. the best are made with insulated foil wrap and foil heat tape.one circle of material and one rectangle of material and two strips of foil tape . it should be a tight fit, but not so tight you spill your food takeing it off a full pot. a cozy in april is not needed per say, but can be fun and allways tossed if unwanted, into a hikerbox. a bic lighter cozy dosnt help keep them working in cold and makes them slippery. bin there done that. a cozy should be thrown out when greesy and in bear country. its not washable enough when its old. start bear country with a freash clean cozy.the single bet use of a cozy is as a prep area to lay sliced food or tortillas or even to eat cerial from when the pot has cofie.

Blissful
02-06-2011, 23:28
Good to save fuel and keep food hot. It can get cold until late May. You can always ship it home.

Camping Dave
02-06-2011, 23:41
You guys think i need to bring a pot cozy for an April 3 start
it don't weight noting at all.I put my Kmart grease pot in it then put the whole thing
:eek:

A cozy saves weight and protects your hands from hot metal all year round.

Now I have a question: you put your pot in a cozy, then into a cooking pouch. What do you mean, like a double cozy setup?

mweinstone
02-06-2011, 23:44
op ment potbag.

sarman
02-07-2011, 08:23
Cozies are good in the summer too. They keep hot foods hot and cold foods (pudding) cold longer.

swjohnsey
02-07-2011, 09:04
From another thread . . . use your hat.

Turtle Feet
02-07-2011, 10:33
You'll love your cozy - all summer long!

Buffalo Skipper
02-07-2011, 10:47
I love my pot cozy. Even better, I love my cooking cozy, which I use for freezer bag cooking. I try hard to not use my pot for cooking, though I love to cook! I just don't like to clean up. ;)

Buffalo Skipper
02-07-2011, 10:50
I have also made a cup cozy for my Snow Peak titanium 24oz cup which I use as a mug for all my drinks. It has a handle, but the cozy weighs less than an oz. Great little gadget. My 24 oz cup/cozy weighs only a few light ounces.....:D

Awol1970
02-07-2011, 11:45
aliens can be kept at bay with one.

Brilliant AND funny.

bishopj
02-07-2011, 14:37
Hey Camping Dave no just keep in my backpack like that to save space

bigcranky
02-07-2011, 14:40
I put my Kmart grease pot in it then put the whole thing

Not sure I understand the space issue -- my pot cozy fits around my pot, and takes up very little room. I did have to make a slightly larger stuff sack for my pot, but overall it's not much bigger than the pot itself.

I do like the cozy -- lets me have hot drinks or hot dinner longer in my Snow Peak mug.

LIhikers
02-08-2011, 16:36
I also use a K-mart grease pot and made a cozy to fit it.
When I pack up my kitchen kit everything goes in the pot and then the pot goes into the cozy. The outside of the cozy doesn't get dirty really so I don't use a stuff sack for it. Having the cozy on the pot doesn't take up much more room than the pot itself. I just put the whole thing into my backpack.

Chenango
02-08-2011, 17:57
I also use a K-mart grease pot and made a cozy to fit it.
When I pack up my kitchen kit everything goes in the pot and then the pot goes into the cozy. The outside of the cozy doesn't get dirty really so I don't use a stuff sack for it. Having the cozy on the pot doesn't take up much more room than the pot itself. I just put the whole thing into my backpack.

Hey, LIHikers. How is it going?

LIhikers
02-09-2011, 22:37
Hey, LIHikers. How is it going?

Life is OK.
I see you're doing that thru hike this year, good for you.
Kathy and I are still chipping away at the trail, one short section at a time.
This summer's hike should see us go over Mt. Washington.
Good luck with your thru!!!!