PDA

View Full Version : pets and parrots

Mühly
02-06-2011, 22:37
1) What do people do with their pets when they are LD hiking? Do most just depend upon friends and family to take care of pets?:confused:

2) Anyone hike with a parrot? :-? I'm going to try a short hike on Pinchoti (Alabama) with my cockatoo.

Don't worry, I really don't think it is possible on the AT on a LD hike. Reality says it isn't possible because of 1) food supply, 2) the cold, 3) the rain, 4) the occasional roving hungry hawk. But it sure would be fun since she is fully flighted and follows me when we hike at home.

GreasePot
02-06-2011, 22:44
1) What do people do with their pets when they are LD hiking? Do most just depend upon friends and family to take care of pets?:confused:

2) Anyone hike with a parrot? :-? I'm going to try a short hike on Pinchoti (Alabama) with my cockatoo.

Don't worry, I really don't think it is possible on the AT on a LD hike. Reality says it isn't possible because of 1) food supply, 2) the cold, 3) the rain, 4) the occasional roving hungry hawk. But it sure would be fun since she is fully flighted and follows me when we hike at home.

I sold my parrot when I went on my first long distance hike. He was bonded to me, and it's a lot to ask for someone to sit for an animal like that for 6 months. I didn't have any family that I could impose on for that length of time. The parrot really held a grudge when I went on short week-long vacations.

You're REALLY going to take your parrot on a hike? That sounds like a recipe for disaster... maybe you'll be lucky, but what if she flew away. To me, it wouldn't be worth the risk. One little gust of wind, and she could be way up in a tree.

Whatever you decide, best of luck!

GreasePot

sbhikes
02-06-2011, 23:22
I was fortunate to hike alone while my partner took care of the birds. I was all set to let him hike the trail solo while I took care of the birds. Birds are a huge responsibility.

My partner used to hike with our cockatoo, but she didn't really like it. She's fully-flighted, too. Recently he took her to the park and she flew into a tree. They do not like to get down when they are in trees. If you take your bird, you may want to cut her wings at least so she can't fly up, only down.

They do hold grudges. And cockatoos tend to go endlessly from home-to-home because they are difficult birds to live with and very long-lived. Eventually they tend to end up under a blanket somewhere, in a dark garage or in a shelter, usually feather plucked and crazy. I think they have the worst lives.

If you love your bird and have a happy coexistence, it would be very sad to shuffle the poor bird off to some home that might not treat it as well. I have not been able to figure out a reasonable solution to the bird problem. I wish I knew someone who also had big birds so we could swap bird care with each other. I love my birds and don't want to get rid of them. They are my children. I had one bird for 22 years. Half my life. My conure is 19 years old. My cockatoo is 17.

Sierra Echo
02-06-2011, 23:24
Why would you want to get pooped on for hundreds of miles? Sounds like a crappy situation! *gigglesnortgiggle*

sbhikes
02-06-2011, 23:27
Cockatoos are big birds. Their butts clear your body when they poo. You can train them not to poo on you, too. Worse than poo, a cockatoo would probably destroy your pack and bite your ears, especially if it doesn't like it when you wear a hat like mine. My cockatoo goes insane if I wear a hat.

Sierra Echo
02-06-2011, 23:29
My friend has a big bird like that that always tries to attack my nose ring and my earrings. I hate that bird! :mad:

WisconsinHiker2011
02-07-2011, 01:36
Soon we will have a 'therapy horse' demand with doctors papers from a long distance hiker who just 'can't function' without their horse.

:mad::mad:

4eyedbuzzard
02-07-2011, 01:38
Just wondering, but do parrots taste like chicken? 'cause I think I might have a solution . . .

Awol1970
02-07-2011, 09:12
Just wondering, but do parrots taste like chicken? 'cause I think I might have a solution . . .

Wowwwww. That's funny.

wrongway_08
02-07-2011, 10:32

I little greasier but nothing a little dab from a napkin won't fix.

Mühly
03-14-2011, 23:09
I've very fortunate my cockatoo is fully socialized and well trained. She is very bonded to me, but also really, really likes kids and is gentle with them.

I trained her to recall - but I had to teach her to fly down - very difficult for her at first. And to dangle from little branches, then catch the air to fly down. She is fully flighted. I cut her flight feathers once - never, never, ever again.

She does like to destroy hats and shoes, can take buttons off clothes (or remotes) in less than a second, etc., but she doesn't do this, fortunately, while we are hiking.

While I worry about hawks/osprey/eagles - if she sees them first, she can avoid them. While we hike she is in front of my chest, not on my shoulder or pack. She also sleeps with me in my hammock while we are camping.

After living with her and meeting other cockatoos, and hearing some pretty horrible stories of cockatoos abuse and neglect, I think cockatoos shouldn't be bred for the pet trade.

Cockatoos, in general, are LOUD, messy, more demanding of attention than a 2 year old, but mine has changed my life for the better. I couldn't imagine not having her in my life.

Trailweaver
03-15-2011, 03:29
I have a friend who is a breeder/seller of birds. It occurs to me that you may be able to find a breeder who would petsit your bird while you're gone for a fee. They would be more likely to know how to treat your bird and be able to give it attention, wouldn't they? It sounds like you two are really bonded, and I'd hate for you to have to get rid of your pet.

sbhikes
03-15-2011, 11:29
Wow Muhly, sounds like you have a really cool bird.

Our cockatoo is bonded to my boyfriend. He used to take her hiking but she'd get bored and try to climb down his trekking poles to the ground. We took her car camping once and she wanted to sleep with me sitting on my arm. This is not easy in a sleeping bag.

She is not clipped but she's also not trained to fly down. My boyfriend is trying to train her to come to him but she lived her first 9 years as a clipped bird so didn't really get it that she can fly. I agree it's better not to clip them. I know they might fly away and become a hawk meal or starve to death or something but it's better than watching them fall all the time.

Echraide
11-08-2011, 00:03
Why would you want to get pooped on for hundreds of miles? Sounds like a crappy situation! *gigglesnortgiggle*

Flight suit.

Echraide
11-08-2011, 00:04
Oops - also meant to ask Mühly - did you take your cockatoo on the Pinhoti? How did it go?

Wise Old Owl
11-08-2011, 00:22
always amazes me how fast WB members threads eventually thread swerve to projectile poo.... wow a new record !!!
4 posts...

SE You da Girl!

Wise Old Owl
11-08-2011, 00:43
Muhly I will be honest - Hawks don't give a damn when a bird is sitting on your shoulder - Here is what happens...

Bang!

That's what you will hear - an explosion of feathers - you will hit the ground, wonder what the hell happened - and no more bird. Now I am not being mean or funny - I had huge bird feeders around my house year round up to five years ago - and lots of morning doves. Less than 5 feet away I walked out the front door and I spooked one off the feeder. He lifted up three feet and there was the explosion I just described. I hit the ground because I thought it was a gunshot. I looked up and there was a perfect sphere of feathers expanding in mid air above me. No bird in the middle. Want to see the culprit? His photo is in my gallery.... the security camera caught him later. These raptors actively hunt the trail I see them hanging in trees above the Pinnacle and Pulpit trying to score a chipmunk... My hope is that I got you attention....

Leave the bird at home...

<font size="7"><font size="3">
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9r3WWi-hX4M

MissMagnolia
11-08-2011, 01:42
If you love your bird and have a happy coexistence, it would be very sad to shuffle the poor bird off to some home that might not treat it as well. I have not been able to figure out a reasonable solution to the bird problem. I wish I knew someone who also had big birds so we could swap bird care with each other. I love my birds and don't want to get rid of them. They are my children. I had one bird for 22 years. Half my life. My conure is 19 years old. My cockatoo is 17.

I agree completely! I might be able to help you find a bird-sitter. I know lots of animal people in California, but don't know if any of them are bird people. What area/city are you in? You can PM me if you're interested, but I can't promise anything. I just figure I might know somebody who might know somebody near you. I personally know almost nothing about birds.

birdygal
11-08-2011, 20:09
I have raised parrots for the last 17 yrs. I currently own many Cockatoos and Macaws , I have one macaw that is 50 yrs old now , I have bred almost all of the parrot species from Cockatoos were my specialty, Personally I do not think hiking with a parrot overnight is a very good idea, Free flight should only be allowed near your home, Parrots especially cockatoos get stressed very easy, They will not be happy being placed with someone they do not know , Boarding for extended periods of time is also stressful on birds especially cockatoos, I have lost many cockatiels to Hawks I actually saw them pull the cockatiels head right off because its body would not fit through the wire. A flight suit is your best option if you wish to take one hiking

Silverfeather
11-09-2011, 19:49
I usually take my dog withe me. She's been trained as a service dog (therapy/autism) and responds to verbal and non-verbal commands so unlike some of these roudy mutts I keep hearing about she's a peach to meet on the trail. My boyfriend hikes with his cat (and so far he's the only to do so, that we know about.) Her name is parrot? xD because she hikes on his shoulders (or her own bag, depending on weather.) As for the other cat we usually see if friends can watch. We're actually planning a thru-hike right now with bob our pets. If we do we think we're going to pay someone to watch our non-hiking cat until we can return. It's just hard to arrange that. We'd put him in a kennel but a lot of people don't long term board for that long and it can really add up!! The cheapest places we've found would total around 2000 by the end of it all. Which is foolish, it's a CAT it's not THAT much work! Feed it, change its litter. Done. (This cat is not a very social cat, it is fat and lazy and would rather hide and sleep all day!)

orions_knight
11-09-2011, 22:55
i have a turtle that i need to foster while im thru hiking as well. unless!!!! ahah! i put a leash on him and bring him along. i know he could do it cuz turtles naturally live in the wild so technically he has more trail time than me....atleast, his ancestors do :):):) hehehe
on a serious note though, after my hike im opening a dog daycare, pet boarding and rescue, and while it doesnt pertain to this situation, just know that there is someone(me) who is aware of the trouble of getting their beloved pets good care while theyre gone without getting funny looks cuz you're "taking 6 months off to hike a trail". haha
so soon enough people will have a place to get their pets of all types some long term care. 2013'ers i got you!!!!!

Wise Old Owl
11-10-2011, 01:30
Orion - Knight, Verne here is a little tired of you poking fun with a big hiking stick....Yea Verne

orions_knight
11-10-2011, 10:35
WOO - not sure i get the reference( i dont watch cartoons), but since you threw a cool turtle pic in there im gonna give you a :thumbs up: haha

Mike2012
11-10-2011, 10:53
I adopted my cat a year ago and wouldn't be able to thru hike if I didn't have friends or family to watch her. Thankfully my mother has graciously agreed to welcome my cat into her home for the duration of the hike and forever if they bond - which I expect. I think after the 9 hour car ride everyone is going to be a winner in my situation.

WalksInDark
11-10-2011, 22:28
I have had my African Gray for over 35 years. The bird is very well trained, including sitting on the toilet to go poop. Sassy loved to camp in my pop up trailer....and really enjoys sitting on my knee at night while we enjoy a camp fire.

Having said all that, I would never take him on a backpacking trip with me; so Sassy stayed at my parrot sitter while I went out on the A.T.for many weeks this summer.

In addition to all of the other potential problems with a parrot on the trail (hawks, sickness, eating bad stuff) I will give you one more: while backpacking this summer, I had my first "no time to even get my hands in front of me" before foot trip and front of my skull crash into the rocky trail bed. Yep, it put me unconscious. When I came to shortly thereafter, I was face down on the trail with blood running down my face. My eyeglasses, hands, trekking poles, and arms were all bent up under my body. In order to get up, I had to roll over on my back to get my pack off.

If Sassy had been riding on my shoulder (which is his most favorite place to travel in the world), he most likely would have been killed as a result of my fall on the rocks...or worse yet when I rolled over to get my pack off. I don't know about you, but I can tell you that I had no recall of falling, and when I found myself lying on my face in great pain with blood running everywhere, I never gave any thought about what might be in or on top of my pack.

Parrots are great, but back pack animals they a'int!

Theosus
11-11-2011, 20:23
Try a zoo or a pet store? Smaller places may really appreciate an animal on loan for display, or they might just be "bird people" I have been in a number of stores that have birds not for sale. Not sure why... Owned by the owners, being sat, etc.

Echraide
11-11-2011, 21:19
If Sassy had been riding on my shoulder (which is his most favorite place to travel in the world), he most likely would have been killed as a result of my fall on the rocks...or worse yet when I rolled over to get my pack off. I don't know about you, but I can tell you that I had no recall of falling, and when I found myself lying on my face in great pain with blood running everywhere, I never gave any thought about what might be in or on top of my pack.

Good post. Got me thinking... what happens when someone hiking with a cat takes a bad fall? A cat will jump off a shoulder perch but if they're being carried in front or back... hm.