PDA

View Full Version : Long Trail into Canada?

JoeHiker
01-02-2005, 18:42
Has anyone here ever hiked the Long trail and continued north into Canada? Does it continue beyone the Canadian Border? Is there a town to stay in or get supplies in up there? Finally, do you need to have your papers to cross the border there?

I'll be hiking the whole thing this fall and I haven't decided which direction I'm going yet but I'd like the option of going north into Canada if that's possible.

Peaks
01-02-2005, 18:49
When I hiked several years ago, the Long Trail ended at a boundry marker stone along the boarder. From there, take the Journey's End Trail back towards North Troy, Vermont.

I have not heard of any plans to go into Canada, or a trail on the Canadian side that links up with the Long Trail.

hungryhowie
01-02-2005, 19:36
The long trail "dead ends" at the Canaidan border. You can continue on if you wish, but it'll be pure cross country for you.

If you want to continue hiking on a trail into Canada, may I suggest the IAT north of Katahdin?

-howie

Minerva
01-02-2005, 20:36
The Long Trail ends at the Quebec Border, but with a little creativity you can continue into Quebec on Les Sentiers de l’Estrie. The southern terminus of Les Sentiers de l’Estrie is near the northern terminus of the Long Trail. It’s a 90 mile trail. Check out the website at http://www.lessentiersdelestrie.qc.ca/english/index.php for more info.
Cindy

neo
01-03-2005, 10:52
When I hiked several years ago, the Long Trail ended at a boundry marker stone along the boarder. From there, take the Journey's End Trail back towards North Troy, Vermont.

I have not heard of any plans to go into Canada, or a trail on the Canadian side that links up with the Long Trail.

HOW LONG IS THE JOURNEYS END TRAIL AT THE END OF THE LONG TRAIL GOING TO TO TROY.:sun NEO

JoeHiker
01-03-2005, 10:59
Thanks for the help Minerva.

I'm still trying to figure out how far the southern terminus of Les Sentiers de l’Estrie is from the northern Terminus of the long trail. Unfortunately the website wants money so I guess I'll have to buy some maps to see if this is feasible. But if they're even reasonably close, I might take an extra week this fall and do a little Canadian Hiking too.

TJ aka Teej
01-03-2005, 11:18
the website wants money Les Sentiers de l’Estrie access is limited to members only - $40 Canadian for a membership that includes the guidebook. Not a bad deal!

TJ aka Teej
01-03-2005, 11:30
HOW LONG IS THE JOURNEYS END TRAILOnly a mile or so to the trail head on Journey's End Road, which leads out and down to Jay. If you're hitch hiking home, you'd be better off backtracking out 105, I think.

JoeHiker
01-03-2005, 11:34
Sorry I guess I was unclear. When I said "buy some maps" I meant that I would pay them their money and become a member.

(I must admit though, being so used to the AT, it's jarring to hear about "members-only" trails.)

Mags
01-03-2005, 11:58
Sorry I guess I was unclear. When I said "buy some maps" I meant that I would pay them their money and become a member.

(I must admit though, being so used to the AT, it's jarring to hear about "members-only" trails.)

Seems like the Florida Trail; a mixture of public and private lands. The website referenced says that naturally anyone can walk on the public lands but most of the trai ls in private lands. To walk these private land portions you need permission of the land owners via membership. Just like some portions of the FT.

Having said all that; wish I knew about this trail on my last LT trek 5+ yrs ago. Would have been a great way to extend my last East Coast jaunt for a while.

Hikerhead
01-03-2005, 20:12
I noticed too that this trail into Canada goes over or close to Mt Sutton and Mt Owl, both are ski resorts that I skiied 25 year ago as a youngster. I thought that was pretty interesting.

Peaks
01-03-2005, 20:22
HOW LONG IS THE JOURNEYS END TRAIL AT THE END OF THE LONG TRAIL GOING TO TO TROY.:sun NEO

1.3 miles to the trailhead. 4 miles from the trailhead into North Troy.

neo
01-03-2005, 21:33
1.3 miles to the trailhead. 4 miles from the trailhead into North Troy.
thanks for the info:sun neo