PDA

View Full Version : Needing help with PCT Thru Sleeping Bag

Woods
02-07-2011, 00:28
Got a ton of help on pack advice here so If any one has used any of these or any other recommendations on anything else that I have missed. Regular 6 foot size should be fine

Looking for around 30 degrees or so and the best value.

Hoping to find something $250 or so.

North Face Beeline Down 800 1.6 Pounds 30 Degrees

Western Mountaineering Highlite 1.00 Pounds 35 Degrees

Marmot Arroya 800 1.11 Pounds 30 Degrees

More than likely going have a 20 degree bag most likely a Golite 3 Season Mummy 20 2.2 pounds from Kennedy Meadows through at least Donner Pass.

Thanks in advance for help

Bucherm
02-07-2011, 01:11
You could probably save some $$$ getting a 20F Campmor down bag. Lots of folks around here swear by it.

ClassY
02-07-2011, 01:29
Id go w the golite bag.
I think they are still doin the 40% off w coupon code dsw10.
I ordered mine, and I should have it by now, but the silly weather in the middle east (anchorman joke) slowed it down.
If u can wait 2 more days, I could tell u how I like it..
Could u really get a NF w that budget??

And the golite comes out to $222 after discount. Great deal I believe!
good luck :)

~ClassY

leaftye
02-07-2011, 03:53
What's your plan to stay warm in the desert? Are you starting late in the season?

handlebar
02-07-2011, 15:29
Don't waste your $$$ on an inferior bag. Get a Western Mountaineering Ultralilte (20 degrees, but probably good to 15 or less). You can use it the whole way. Try to find one on ebay if you are on a budget.

Ender
02-07-2011, 15:36
A 30* bag likely isn't going to be warm enough. It gets cold up high. There were nights when I was on the PCT that I was in my 20* bag, with all my thermals on, and while I was warm I wouldn't have wanted any other bag. One night in particular I remember it dropping into the single digits.

I took the Western Mountaineering Ultralite, and it was a fantastic bag. Well worth the money.

Ender
02-07-2011, 15:38
Gah, sorry about that, I should have read your post all the way through. My apologies. I see in fact you are planning on bringing a 20* bag.

Honestly, you probably aren't going to need to switch out from that bag.

Woods
03-09-2011, 22:10
Thanks for all the help ending up with a WM Alpine Lite for just a little more than I my price range but found a local place that had them on sale.

burger
03-09-2011, 22:57
You do not need a 20-degree bag. I'm a cold sleeper, and I used a 30-degree bag (WM Summerlite) for my entire PCT thru-hike. I had maybe 3 uncomfortably cold nights the entire trip, and none of those were particularly bad. Planning on bringing a warm jacket? You can sleep in it on cold nights and carry a lighter sleeping bag instead.