PDA

View Full Version : Why do people hate Samuel H. Gardner and his all-in trek?

WisconsinHiker2011
02-07-2011, 07:24
http://www.theinitiativesite.com/

The man at the above website seems to have drawn intense hatred from this website and others I frequent that talk about hiking. I am not up to speed on this, why is this man hated? :confused:

I hear rumors about nefarious monetary reasons, but I also see intense jealousy directed towards him.

Anyone care to set me straight? :confused::confused:

stranger
02-07-2011, 08:31
First off, I don't think ANYONE hates this guy, I think that's a bit of speculation and exaggeration.

From what I can gather, people don't like this guy because of his approach, the fancy website, the language used (I will set a new record, etc), the 'opportunity' to donate to his cause, and all of this without a notable thru-hike to his name, not even something like the Long Trail or similar distance trail, let alone the logistical nightmare that is the 4500 mile North Country Trail!

On top of that, he hasn't really helped himself by giving much acknowledgement to some of the challenges and/or obstacles talked about by others who have done similar type of hikes. As a result, he's hiking single digit days, taking zeros in motels, where as he initially said he was going to average 34 miles a day for an entire year, or at least this was certainly implied by saying he would do this in one year.

The closest thing I know of to this hike is Justin Lichter's 10,000 mile hike in 356 days a few years back, now if someone of that calibur could not average 34 miles per day, someone who by that time had thru-hiked the Triple Crown plus many other trails, how can this guy really expect to do something nearly 2500 miles longer, in just another week : )

So, it's those type of things that I believe piss people off about his 'All In Trek', but to some degree I'm sure there is alot of envy in there, as well as jealousy of his financial resources to hike for a year, or two. But at the end of the day, I think we all know it's absolutely impossible for him to finish in one year, and unlikely he will complete the NCT, forget the other trails.

I'm curious to see what happens, although I think he's completely delusional in every capacity, he's still out there, and that goes a long way with me.

fiddlehead
02-07-2011, 08:34
I don't dislike him at all.
I've been following his trek almost daily and am very interested.
He is a good writer, has very arduous goals, and is out there in often sub-zero temps doing what we all wish we had the balls to do.

It's the closed minds that seem to dislike the guy and his trek.
Some seem to think that if he doesn't have a thru under his belt, he isn't qualified.

Helios
02-07-2011, 09:11
I have no hatred towards this person. I don't follow him because he has no background in doing what he's attempting. Each year there's some post by someone new to long distance backpacking that wants to accomplish more than just a thru hike. Considering the high drop out rate on a thru, anyone who would consider more than this with out first experiencing one thru of a long distance trail is naive.

Now, I haven't followed his website. I have noted from others posts here that he is in no way making what he thought he would. His chances of coming anywhere close to completing all in one year are completely blown, and two years seems to be a hard press. This inside of 2 months from the start.

He was a lot of hot air that is fizzling out. Seen this too many times. Stick around, you will too.

It's an admirable dream, but would need approached from a more realistic stand point to gain my attention. Heck, I'd love to take off and hike all of those trails! Not at 34 miles/day though. I've completed 10 marathons, 2 24hr races, and one 50K. I understand what distance and endurance tasks take. It's a far cry more than a website and a "I'm going to do this" shout.

Anyone who does so and is noticed by this site will be checked out. If they have no background in long distance backpacking then "oh what pitiful stuff" will be cried back. We've seen it all to many times.

mweinstone
02-07-2011, 10:01
whiteblaze is perfectly able to pick what and who to allow.by starting this thread you have violated their wishes. i belive we should go to facebook or some other site to discuss topics that have been closed ere if we wish. but to be all in the face of a site that accomplishes such good, is wrong. whiteblaze helps hikers. we dont brag or insult here.

Captain Blue
02-07-2011, 11:01
I think a lot of the criticism of Samuel Gardner and his "All In Trek" is justified. His web site said his goal is to solo hike the North Country Trail, Appalachian Trail, Continental Divide Trail and Pacific Crest Trail all in one year. He asked for $26,000 in donations to pay for his hike including a new iPhone, cell service and $5,000 to cover his travel for appearances after the trek. Shortly before his hike he abandoned his goal to do the four trails in one year. After the start of his hike he abandoned the goal of doing it solo and took on a hiking partner. It seems to me he deceived his donors. After one month he has only hiked about 200 miles. This is far short of his original goal of hiking 1,000 miles per month. The guy was not prepared for what he set out to do. Many experienced hikers realized this in advance.

LoneRidgeRunner
02-07-2011, 11:09

The man at the above website seems to have drawn intense hatred from this website and others I frequent that talk about hiking. I am not up to speed on this, why is this man hated? :confused:

I hear rumors about nefarious monetary reasons, but I also see intense jealousy directed towards him.

You mean to say there is something you don't know everything about? Thought you were SOOO smart boy!!!

4eyedbuzzard
02-07-2011, 11:22

Jealous? No. Hatred? Absolutely not. I criticized him but also sent him advice, such as needing a tent, a warmer bag, that his footware wasn't suitable, directions for the road walk, etc. He's just not experienced or hardened enough to do what he claimed he was going to do.

BUT:

HE wanted and asked for the attention. Published the website. Asked for sponsors and donation. Asked for comments. Had pompous plans such as inspiring others and even having a post trek tour of public schools to inspire children. Give me a break. It's all deeper than the snow he's postholing through right now.

When you get up on stage (which is EXACTLY what he's done), you open up the possibility of both applause and booing. If you can't handle that, stay out of show business!

As I've said before, he wanted his 15 minutes and he's getting it.

Tuckahoe
02-07-2011, 11:27
I think a lot of the criticism of Samuel Gardner and his "All In Trek" is justified. His web site said his goal is to solo hike the North Country Trail, Appalachian Trail, Continental Divide Trail and Pacific Crest Trail all in one year. He asked for $26,000 in donations to pay for his hike including a new iPhone, cell service and $5,000 to cover his travel for appearances after the trek. Shortly before his hike he abandoned his goal to do the four trails in one year. After the start of his hike he abandoned the goal of doing it solo and took on a hiking partner. It seems to me he deceived his donors. After one month he has only hiked about 200 miles. This is far short of his original goal of hiking 1,000 miles per month. The guy was not prepared for what he set out to do. Many experienced hikers realized this in advance.

Captain Blue nailed it. I personally do not hate Sam and actually I have been following his hike and reading his blog every couple days. Though I think that he bit off more than he could chew and is learning that lesson now.

I think that Sam is like so many other young people in that they all too often lack any real world experience but are all to eager to tell everyone else how it should be done. Fortunately most fail along the way and learn the necessary life lesson and eventually learn to listen to the voices of experience... Right WisconsinHiker?

mweinstone
02-07-2011, 11:42
read my side of the mountain as a troubled kid and ran away to a hollow tree till dinnertime. i sat in that tree all day trying to carve the pockets with the butter knife i took from the kitchen. the pockets in the tree that would one day hold the hickory nuts me and sam gribbly were going to get. thaught i was seriouse all day. then the church bells rang and i ran home for dinner and haddent been missed. promised myself there and then i would learn when i was old enough to really run away good.lol. funneyest part? the tree was in the middle of where three roads made a grassy triangle in the middle of the street two blocks from my house! i was actualy looking for my perigrin to steal and name frightfull on the walk to the tree. my point is, this guys lied about his age is the answer. only if hes like 11 , does it work. think about it.

Doc Mike
02-07-2011, 12:04
Has to OP made a single non-imflamatory post?

mweinstone
02-07-2011, 12:15
this thread is about the op not issues. thats why im releasing thread toxins ........now.

Helios
02-07-2011, 12:15
Has to OP made a single non-imflamatory post?

No. He's hasn't been on the AT, done trail maintenance, or is really qualifying his comments. He just woke up in the middle of Wisconsin and decided he was going to stir up this forum.

With no qualifications, who in Congress will listen to him to make these "government changes" he's proposed.

mweinstone
02-07-2011, 12:18
i dont know....maby hes just being himself and that happens to be a little weird. no? i dont feel dishonesty, just weirdness.

kanga
02-07-2011, 12:18
no, he's a troll. i agree that he sounds alot like minnie

Ontiora
02-07-2011, 12:23
Personally, I think his goal is a bit unrealistic- I find it extremely difficult to believe that he can accomplish all that in a year. I'll bet that he doesn't finishes. But who knows he could prove me wrong...doubtful as it is.

mweinstone
02-07-2011, 12:27
minnie didnt troll. he upset and voiced political and other veiws not inside whiteblazes rules. he knew what he did and it was in anger but it wasnt personal. he just stood up for what he belives in. me and luke keep in touch and i have many simularitys in common with him . just not the things about people. about hiking, we agree on most. this poster wisconson seems like hes serious. but im willing to belive hes a troll as well. the onlything i know for sure is we aint talking about hiking in here. witch sucks.

now, wisconson, do you believe in joining us in the work of maintaining the trail as is for now? and will you be happy to hike it in its present condition? or is reblazeing not work you wish assigned to you? will you clear bramble and cut limbs? will you move rock and build shelters? what jobs will to do for your trail? how bout boundry work? will you do that? posting signs? and what about manning the phone in the atc headquarters? good? bad? thaughts?

vibbertations
02-07-2011, 12:36
read my side of the mountain as a troubled kid and ran away to a hollow tree till dinnertime. i sat in that tree all day trying to carve the pockets with the butter knife i took from the kitchen. the pockets in the tree that would one day hold the hickory nuts me and sam gribbly were going to get. thaught i was seriouse all day. then the church bells rang and i ran home for dinner and haddent been missed. promised myself there and then i would learn when i was old enough to really run away good.lol. funneyest part? the tree was in the middle of where three roads made a grassy triangle in the middle of the street two blocks from my house! i was actualy looking for my perigrin to steal and name frightfull on the walk to the tree. my point is, this guys lied about his age is the answer. only if hes like 11 , does it work. think about it.

This has got to be the greatest post ever. Where's the "Like This" Button?

leaftye
02-07-2011, 12:46
I don't like him because he's leaving caustic footprints and smashing plants where he sleeps. That leaves a clear trace of humans and is not in line with the ethics of LNT.

WisconsinHiker2011
02-07-2011, 12:51
First off, I don't think ANYONE hates this guy, I think that's a bit of speculation and exaggeration.

From what I can gather, people don't like this guy because of his approach, the fancy website, the language used (I will set a new record, etc), the 'opportunity' to donate to his cause, and all of this without a notable thru-hike to his name, not even something like the Long Trail or similar distance trail, let alone the logistical nightmare that is the 4500 mile North Country Trail!

On top of that, he hasn't really helped himself by giving much acknowledgement to some of the challenges and/or obstacles talked about by others who have done similar type of hikes. As a result, he's hiking single digit days, taking zeros in motels, where as he initially said he was going to average 34 miles a day for an entire year, or at least this was certainly implied by saying he would do this in one year.

The closest thing I know of to this hike is Justin Lichter's 10,000 mile hike in 356 days a few years back, now if someone of that calibur could not average 34 miles per day, someone who by that time had thru-hiked the Triple Crown plus many other trails, how can this guy really expect to do something nearly 2500 miles longer, in just another week : )

So, it's those type of things that I believe piss people off about his 'All In Trek', but to some degree I'm sure there is alot of envy in there, as well as jealousy of his financial resources to hike for a year, or two. But at the end of the day, I think we all know it's absolutely impossible for him to finish in one year, and unlikely he will complete the NCT, forget the other trails.

I'm curious to see what happens, although I think he's completely delusional in every capacity, he's still out there, and that goes a long way with me.

Thank you for your eloquent description of his attempt. I did not know his story, so I decided to ask on here.

Also thank you to Joe Cross and Captain Blue for their help!

Slo-go'en
02-07-2011, 13:13
I don't like him because he's leaving caustic footprints and smashing plants where he sleeps. That leaves a clear trace of humans and is not in line with the ethics of LNT.

He also frequently makes fires in places where fires most likely should not be made. Although I can certinally understand why he does.

Sam published some wildly unrealistic goals and we all called him out on them. Even so, we must give him credit for still being out there, trudging along as slow as he is. I suspect he might finish the NCT, but the other three....?