PDA

View Full Version : NOBO thru - in GSMNP, yay or nay to Gatlinburg?

Sassafras Lass
02-07-2011, 11:14
Hey everyone. Hubby and I are going through our '10 Companion to draw up a tentative list of resupply points, and while doing the Smokies last night, DH says that he absolutely wants to avoid Gatlinburg. He's apparently uneasy about hitch-hiking and furthermore doesn't want to get off the trail any more than absolutely necessary.

That's news to me - I have no real qualms about hitch-hiking (especially from Newfound Gap) and furthermore even though Gatlinburg is expensive, I could probably do with a cheeseburger by the time we're at Newfound Gap :D

It looks like the last time to really resupply is Fontana Village @ 162.6 miles. If we don't stop in Gatlinburg, then the next point is Green Corner Rd. @ 238.4 - that's 75.8 miles. I figure we'll probably be averaging 12 miles/day at that point, if not more, so that's 6 days of food needed to push through the park.

So my Q - What is the norm for the Smokies? Does everyone resupply for a week's worth of hiking (precursor to the 100-Mile Wilderness), do they go to Gatlinburg via a kindly stranger, or do they have a support system of friends and family bring them food to Newfound Gap?

DavidNH
02-07-2011, 11:33
I can say that many hikers do hitch from Newfound Gap into Gatlinburg. Hence they carry 3-4 days of food get off trail, gorge themselves at restaurants, then get back on trial and carry 3-4 days of food again.

Myself, I carried food for the full 7 days through the smokies. I didn't hitch into Gatlinburg and had I to do it again I still wouldn't. The smokies are in the beginning of the long hike. I don't know about others but I backpack to be out in nature.. not just to get from town to town. So I prefer to carry more weight and have less town time.

DavidNH

johnnyblisters
02-07-2011, 11:36
I wish I didn't go into Gatlinburg in 06, I ate so many ribs that I began to sweat barbecue sauce. This year I plan on sending a maildrop with 6 days of food to Fontana Dam PO, then resupplying after at standing bear hostel.

Buffalo Skipper
02-07-2011, 12:19
If the objective is to avoid Gatlinburg (for Gatlinburg's sake), then why not hh east (south) to Cherokee? Grocery stores a plenty for restocking.

max patch
02-07-2011, 12:32
The majority of thru's go to Gatlinburg, its an easy hitch, there's good food and cheap lodging.

I don't know why anyone would choose to go there for vacation, but for an overnight resupply stop there's nothing wrong with G'burg.

Sassafras Lass
02-07-2011, 12:41
Nothing wrong with Gatlinburg, only that I've been there so many times I'm quite tired of it - it makes me feel rather claustrophobic. Isn't Cherokee quite a bit farther away, too?

max patch
02-07-2011, 12:46
Ha ha, I think Cherokee is worse than G'Burg...yes its farther away (21 vs 15 miles) and I suspect a harder hitch but don't take my word for that. Great place if you want to get your picture taken with a real Indian or get some tomahawks. I'd say stick with G'Burg if you decide to make a town stop.

Delta-Dawn
02-07-2011, 13:16
I hate everything about G'burg, the only reason I ever go there is because my children adore Cheese-burg and every cheesy thing in it. I would prefer to go to Cherokee, but maybe that's just me (and because I have family on the rez who will cook for me, lol). I think it is just as easy to catch a ride to Cherokee as it is G'burg, you can only go in one direction or the other from Newfound Gap so everyone up there will be going either left or right. I think it would be 50/50 shot for either. Cherokee will be where we go, not G'burg. :)

Slo-go'en
02-07-2011, 13:44
Hitching into G'burg can take awhile, but eventually someone will take pitty on you. Getting back up to the gap is another story. Last year I was down there and walked up past the park visiter center (had to get camping permits as I was starting there) and put my thumb out. An hour and several 100 cars going past later, the girl driving the Cherokee suttle van pulled over. I asked if it was a free ride? No, but it was only 3 bucks, well worth it!

The main problem with G'burg, other than its a pretty expensive stop, is there isn't a decent grocery store in town to resupply at. Do a mail drop or pick up enough supplies at Fontanna village to make it all the way to Standing Bear, where you can get a few days worth of stuff to make it to Hot Springs.

If you've never been to G'burg it could be worth the stop - the place is quite amazing, though I liked it better 25 years ago when it still had a quiant hick charm to it.

TheChop
02-07-2011, 13:53
It's the Great Smoky Mountain National Park. Why split it up? I think you lose something getting off the trail halfway there. I'd bring enough provisions and Gatlinburg is always an option.

10-K
02-07-2011, 14:09
One idea would be to send a small maildrop to NOC with enough to get you to Fontana Dam, then spend the night at The Hike Inn and get Jeff or Nancy to take you in to Robbinsville to get enough to get to Standing Bear Farm just on the north side of the park - you could send a drop to SBF or get enough there to get to Hot Springs where you could get enough to get to Erwin.

I wouldn't go into Gatlinburg or Cherokee if I could make it through the park in 5 days because when you leave the park you'll hit a hostel or town every few days for pretty good stretch...more than enough to satisfy any food cravings you might have.

Sassafras Lass
02-07-2011, 14:23
That's what I was thinking as well - we had planned on spreading out towns to a 5-day minimum anyways, but I don't know what kind of mileage we'll be getting so it's hard to say when drawing up schematics from the comfort of my heated bedroom :) Thanks everyone!

Shera
02-07-2011, 15:38
Go. It's so American. The 4 of us stayed at a "honeymoon suite." It was hysterical. If you're not into kitch or Americana, or plan to have no sense of humor about it, maybe better to avoid.

Blissful
02-07-2011, 15:42
It's an easy hitch to Gatlinburg, not as easy coming out, but I believe there are lists of shuttlers who can help for some $$. One thing you willl need to do on the AT is hitch, sooner or later, as well as get off the trail and go into towns. A few weeks out there (esp if the weather is cold and lousy) and you're gonna want to get off the trail for some rest, food, whatever. Guaranteed.

Blissful
02-07-2011, 15:47
That's what I was thinking as well - we had planned on spreading out towns to a 5-day minimum anyways, but I don't know what kind of mileage we'll be getting so it's hard to say when drawing up schematics from the comfort of my heated bedroom :) Thanks everyone!

5 plus days is a lot of food and weight to lug. There is more frequent resupply than that, even if you are starting out slow.
If you go into towns, which I recommend.

Grinder
02-07-2011, 15:52
You don't have to hitch
Cherokee transit 828-497-5296

Jack Tarlin
02-07-2011, 16:14
*One can get all the way thru the Park without leaving the Trail; just pack 6-7 days of
supplies out of Fontana Dam.

*As others have said, getting into Gatlinburg is really very simple, and getting out is easier
still, as there are several good shuttle options that are very reasonably priced, i.e. if you\
don't care for hitch-hiking, there are other options.

*Keep in mind you don't have to overnight. get into town early, run your errands, have a
decent meal, and get out by the end of the afternoon. It's a very easy 3 mile hike from
Newfound Gap to to IceWater Spring Shelter, so you don't have to spend that much time
in Gat if you'd rather not.

*Whether or not you visit Gatlinburg or hike all the way thru the Park, make sure you visit
Standing Bear Farm, at the park's far end. It's three minutes from the Trail; Great
people, great place to stay, and very good re-supply to get you the next stretch to nearby
Hot Springs.

PeterB
02-07-2011, 22:32
Note: from the web page, Cherokee transit does not run in the winter (Nov-Mar), has a reduced schedule in April (day only on Thu, Fri, Sat, Sun), and does not start a full schedule till May.

http://www.cherokeetransit.com/shuttle_to_tenn.htm

TheChop
02-07-2011, 23:11
Cherokee does not seem to have enough proper markets to really resupply. Although Peter's Pancakes and Waffles is a tradition with me when I have hiked the GSMNP.

CrumbSnatcher
02-08-2011, 00:19
i never had a hard time hitching out of Gatlinburg:cool:
one time as we stood by the road to wait on a ride, a young kid drove by us, he made a u-turn,gave us a ride up the mountain, said he'd TRY:-? to get us to the top
he was low on gas and said he could coast back down to town if he ran out of gas, said he'd done it alot of times:D

Sassafras Lass
02-08-2011, 11:17
5 plus days is a lot of food and weight to lug. There is more frequent resupply than that, even if you are starting out slow.
If you go into towns, which I recommend.

We're definitely doing town stops - but we're avoiding towns as much as possible and don't want to have to get off the trail every 3 days or so. My base weight won't be more than 17 lbs at the most - hopefully lower depending on 1st aid kit and toiletries - and if the avg. is 2 lbs of food per day, then 10 lbs plus some water isn't too prohibitive for me.

*One can get all the way thru the Park without leaving the Trail; just pack 6-7 days of supplies out of Fontana Dam.

*. . . make sure you visit
Standing Bear Farm, at the park's far end. It's three minutes from the Trail; Great
people, great place to stay, and very good re-supply to get you the next stretch to nearby
Hot Springs.

Thanks Jack, soujnds good!

i never had a hard time hitching out of Gatlinburg:cool: one time as we stood by the road to wait on a ride, a young kid drove by us, he made a u-turn,gave us a ride up the mountain, said he'd TRY:-? to get us to the top
he was low on gas and said he could coast back down to town if he ran out of gas, said he'd done it alot of times:D

That's awesome - wonder if he made it down on fumes?

LoneRidgeRunner
02-08-2011, 11:30
i never had a hard time hitching out of Gatlinburg:cool:
one time as we stood by the road to wait on a ride, a young kid drove by us, he made a u-turn,gave us a ride up the mountain, said he'd TRY:-? to get us to the top

Sounds like he was "hinting" for gas money...

moldy
02-13-2011, 19:54
All your trail friends will be going to Gatlinburg.

Mosey
02-14-2011, 11:35
Hitching into G'burg can take awhile, but eventually someone will take pitty on you. Getting back up to the gap is another story. Last year I was down there and walked up past the park visiter center (had to get camping permits as I was starting there) and put my thumb out. An hour and several 100 cars going past later, the girl driving the Cherokee suttle van pulled over. I asked if it was a free ride? No, but it was only 3 bucks, well worth it!

The main problem with G'burg, other than its a pretty expensive stop, is there isn't a decent grocery store in town to resupply at. Do a mail drop or pick up enough supplies at Fontanna village to make it all the way to Standing Bear, where you can get a few days worth of stuff to make it to Hot Springs.

If you've never been to G'burg it could be worth the stop - the place is quite amazing, though I liked it better 25 years ago when it still had a quiant hick charm to it.

Slo-go'en, there is one decent grocery store in G'burg that I'm aware of. It's Food City, 1219 East Parkway. Food City isn't on the "strip" in G'Burg, and it's a bit out of the way for those wishing to stay in town proper. Food City is a full size grocery store, reasonably priced, with a nice selection of items.

I have taken my teens to G'burg every year for the last 7 years. They seem to love the place, and it's one of the few places I know I can turn 'em loose on their own without having to worry about them. We usually do some of our own cooking/food prep to avoid the astronomical cost of eating out every night. I found the Food City grocery several years ago, and I return there to shop when I'm in G'burg. Food City sure beats having to shop in the little convenience stores downtown.

Of course, it's no big deal getting there if one has access to a vehicle. But it's a long walk from the strip. I think the G'burg shuttle runs by Food City. It's out near the artists community on US 321 East Parkway, approx. 2-3 miles from the strip in G'burg.

Praha4
02-14-2011, 11:46
YES YES YES
Gatlinburg is a cultural mecca along the AT. You simply cannot hike the AT thru the Smokies without stopping in Gatlinburg to try the Smoky Mountain fudge, Smoky Mountain pancakes, Hillbilly Golf, and mix with the indiginent species. Have fun!

Sassafras Lass
02-14-2011, 12:23
Slo-go'en, there is one decent grocery store in G'burg that I'm aware of. It's Food City, 1219 East Parkway. Food City isn't on the "strip" in G'Burg, and it's a bit out of the way for those wishing to stay in town proper. Food City is a full size grocery store, reasonably priced, with a nice selection of items.

! We always shop the Food City in Pigeon Forge, didn't know there was one in Gatlinburg - it's a great grocery store, the best selection you're going to find outside of Wal-Mart and like.

coheterojo
02-14-2011, 13:01
How did I know that Praha4 would be singing the praises of Gatlinburg? I, personally, would prefer to be boiled in oil rather than visit that veritable Sodom and Gomorrah.
On my thruhike last year I had a maildrop waiting at the Fontana Village PO with six days food and, after a most delightful evening spent at the Fontana Lodge, breezed thru the Smokies with nary a thought of soiling my adventure in Smoky Mtn Fudge Land.

bigcranky
02-14-2011, 13:18
Go. It's so American. The 4 of us stayed at a "honeymoon suite." It was hysterical. If you're not into kitch or Americana, or plan to have no sense of humor about it, maybe better to avoid.

+1 on this, if you've never been there. You have to make sure you're in the right frame of mind, and then it's a total blast. Also it's much easier to deal with G'burg on foot than in a car.

garlic08
02-14-2011, 13:25
We're definitely doing town stops - but we're avoiding towns as much as possible and don't want to have to get off the trail every 3 days or so. My base weight won't be more than 17 lbs at the most - hopefully lower depending on 1st aid kit and toiletries - and if the avg. is 2 lbs of food per day, then 10 lbs plus some water isn't too prohibitive for me.

Two things might surprise you. 1) How many miles per day you're hiking by then, especially with a 17 pound base load, and 2) how little food you can hike all day on, especially with a light pack. If you're in shape, which you should be by then, you may not need 2 pounds per day, maybe closer to 1.5. Most hikers carry too much food, often several pounds worth--very few come into town with nothing left. My point is you may not need 10 pounds of food for the Smokies, maybe even less than 8 pounds. Water should not be much of an issue in the Smokies in springtime. I never carried more than one liter.

You can play the G'burg stop by ear--when you resupply in Fontana or nearby, you'll have a better idea of how far you can hike without stopping for supplies. Try and do without, but when you get to Newfound Gap, take stock and make the decision then. There are plenty of other factors, too, like weather and health. (When I hiked, in April '08, there was a serious storm--most bailed out into town and I had the trail to myself for the next couple of days. It was a very memorable couple of days.) You may really need a break and might really want to see the place. Some obviously enjoy it.

NerdyJohn
02-14-2011, 15:31
1) I can't believe no one has mentioned this, but NOC has built a very nice store in Gatlinburg. The place is expensive, but it's a beautiful store. Probably won't be there in 5 years, so go see it. I believe they have a shuttle service to the Gap as well.
2) Near the NOC store is the Smoky Mtn. Brewery. A great out of the way place to recharge.
3) Like Mosey said, Food City is near town. It's about the same size as the one in Pigeon Forge. A trolley goes by there every hour or so.
4) No one's mentioned Sugarlands. Can't beat it for information regarding the region.

Gatlinburg is what it is, so love it or hate it. Me personally, I'd go just for the short change of pace.

Sassafras Lass
02-14-2011, 16:22
1) I can't believe no one has mentioned this, but NOC has built a very nice store in Gatlinburg. The place is expensive, but it's a beautiful store. Probably won't be there in 5 years, so go see it. I believe they have a shuttle service to the Gap as well.
2) Near the NOC store is the Smoky Mtn. Brewery. A great out of the way place to recharge.
3) Like Mosey said, Food City is near town. It's about the same size as the one in Pigeon Forge. A trolley goes by there every hour or so.
4) No one's mentioned Sugarlands. Can't beat it for information regarding the region.

Gatlinburg is what it is, so love it or hate it. Me personally, I'd go just for the short change of pace.

Sugarlands is great - go there to at least see the bear (you may not see another your whole hike) and to see the large topographical map of the mountains, it's something to consider all right!

CrumbSnatcher
02-14-2011, 16:40
Sounds like he was "hinting" for gas money...
no he wasn't hinting for gas, you could tell he liked to help the hikers. we did give him gas money. he really tried hard to not take it.

CrumbSnatcher
02-14-2011, 16:43
That's awesome - wonder if he made it down on fumes?[/QUOTE]
i'm pretty sure he was talkin' about coasting down with no power, with Sir Isacc Newton in the driver seat:D.

ledawg
02-15-2011, 13:52

Another thought... the NOC store that borders the park in Gburg receives mail drops, does shuttle thru-hikers back up the mountain, and (if you're looking for one) has free showers for thru-hikers too. Even if all you wanted to do was jump into town, grab a maildrop and head back to the trail... that's an option.

Probably will be there for more than 5 years too... but I'm biased since I work for NOC. :)

Praha4
02-15-2011, 14:19
How did I know that Praha4 would be singing the praises of Gatlinburg? I, personally, would prefer to be boiled in oil rather than visit that veritable Sodom and Gomorrah.
On my thruhike last year I had a maildrop waiting at the Fontana Village PO with six days food and, after a most delightful evening spent at the Fontana Lodge, breezed thru the Smokies with nary a thought of soiling my adventure in Smoky Mtn Fudge Land.

... El Flaco missed all the fun last year in Gatlinburg! think of all the memorable photos hikers can get on Main St in Gatlinburg with the tourists and their screaming kids, all wanting an autograph and a picture with an AT thru hiker! :)

TheTwanger
02-16-2011, 00:10
I'll be meeting family at Clingman's Dome and enjoying lodging in a cozy gooseneck in Cades Cove for a few days, eating lots of grilled food, and resting in a full sized bed :banana .... Gatlinburg to me is only as valuable as the fudge sold everywhere in town!