PDA

View Full Version : External CampTrails Backpack- comments welcome

lawman
01-02-2005, 20:04
Recently in Backpacker Mag they wrote that 15% of all hikers use external packs, whicle the other 85% use the internal. I guess I'm a die hard external man. I started in 1988 with a Diamond back andthen tried an internal Lowe Alpine. After 4-5 years and numerous attempts to make it fit properly I purchased my first external Camptrails pack. I first used it in 2001 when I was finishing my 13 year section hike. I had my partner a week later bring me up the smaller Mckinley by Camptrails. Oh God was this pack great. Fit like a glove and adjusted it once. I have been using it ever since.
The problem arises that Camptrails is no longer operating. It appears that Johnson Outdoors (I believe thats the name) has taken over the company and ceased making Camptrails packs. I recently attempted to purchase a McKinley III on line but the company ran out for good. I also found a Spirit by Camptrails but they were also out. It appears after a week or so of trying,and a statement by an old Camptrails distributor that Camptails is no longer available. This saddens me in that after locating a great, comfortable pack they are no longer made. I would like to hear any comments on Camptrails packs in general or a good fitting internal pack for future use. i did look at a granite Gear on line and tried on a Arc'teryx ( appears top of the line) Happy New Year and Happy Hiking. Lawman

Groucho
01-02-2005, 20:16
You might get a good used one on ebay.

hikerjohnd
01-02-2005, 20:35
I absolutely love my JanSport external frame pack (1996 Nepali). Like you I tried an internal frame and just couldn't adjust to it. The Nepali has been discontinued as well, but I manage to see them on ebay every now and again. (I even bought one to load with weights to use in training for my upcoming thru hike) I agree with Groucho, in that ebay would be a place to watch. Also, ebay has a feaure that allows you to put out a request for what you want - I think its called 'Want it Now' and is here: http://pages.ebay.com/wantitnow/

Good luck - we external fans are a dying breed. :banana

Palmer
01-02-2005, 20:39
Jansport still makes an external frame pack, the Carson. It looks a lot like my old D-3, which I love. My wife used a Camptrails for awhile, but I could never find one that fit my long torso.

hikerjohnd
01-02-2005, 20:48
I've looked at the Carson, and I don't remember what I didn't like about it - whatever it was, but I would still consider buying one before an internal frame pack. As I understand it, (a friend spent the summer interning for Jansport) they are going to stop making external frame packs soon, but he never got a sunset date. I believe (and it is just my opinion) the Carson 80/90 will be their last serious ext frame. (I'm not leaving the Scout out - I think there will always be a market for entry level youth packs and I hope the Scout stay around!)

TDale
01-02-2005, 22:08
Kelty still makes tons of ex-frames. I think Texsport still makes a few, also.

Newb
01-03-2005, 01:03
I just bought a Camptrails external on Ebay (slightly , only slightly used) and I already love it. I'm 6 feet tall exactly and was surprised that the frame fits perfectly. It's lightweight, and my Northface Vega bag stuffs into it's internal sleeping bag pocket with normal compression. I look forward to using it all summer.

Newb
01-03-2005, 01:09
How do I know what model of Camp Trails this backpack is?

Toolshed
01-03-2005, 02:12
Lawman,
You should still be able to get it here (http://www.eurekacampingctr.com/special_sales.html)
or call 888-6eureka.
I have been buying stuff at the Erueka Camping Center in Binghamton for over a decade now - It is a great place to get discounted gear.
Class A's are cosmetic defects and Class B's are returns that have been repaired.
You are also correct, Johnson Worlwide www.jwa.com purchased both Camp Trails (originally in Phoenix) and Eureka (Originally in Binghamton) in the early 80's IIRC.
They also owned Jack Wolfskin, which was a great european mfgr and many other brands.
I am also unhappy with the demise of Eureka and Camp Trails.
Good luck
Rick

neo
01-03-2005, 10:26
i go frameless.no internal or external:sun neo

Palmer
01-03-2005, 11:49
I have been buying stuff at the Erueka Camping Center in Binghamton for over a decade now - It is a great place to get discounted gear.

Is the Eureka Store still open in Binghamton? We stopped there in the 70's and got a great deal on a Holubar dome tent. Eureka had bought the tent to use as a pattern in making their own dome tent and didn't need it anymore. They had lost the poles, so they were selling the tent at a very good price. We bought the tent, then ordered replacement poles from Holubar. We still have the tent and my kids use it from time to time.:)

Toolshed
01-03-2005, 14:27
Palmer - Yes it is still open.
Back when I lived in Buffalo & then later Rochester, I used to make a day trip down there every spring before the big March Sale (Folks would line up outside in long rows to get in for the deep discounted sales event) and then later in the fall.
I lived near Allentown for the past few years, so it was much easier to get to. Now I am in Mass and too far away for a 1x or 2x per year visit.
However, they now allow you to purchase Class A's over the phone or web- Awesome!!!!

Chip
01-03-2005, 15:14
My first internal was the Camp Trails Wilderness, bought it in Appleton WI, Gander Mtn. store in 1998. What a great pack! Super fit! Last year I purchased
a Kelty Continental Divide 5300 from Campmor. Again a really super pack, great fit similar to the Camp Trails in comfort (but this pack is an external).
Very happy with it. Had other externals before and was spoiled by the Camp Trails internal.
I really wanted to buy another CT Wilderness but could not find any. Picked the Kelty because of fit and comfort. Sorry to hear about Camp Trails, too bad , they made a great pack. Best of luck with your search!!

Happy Trails,
Chip :)

Toolshed
01-03-2005, 15:20
I just got off the phone with Eureka - They have 1 new Camp Trail wilderness Left - It is a medium, I take a large. Go for it Chris 1-888-6Eureka.

Footslogger
01-03-2005, 16:11
Hey ...if you're comfortable with an external frame pack then go for it. I carried one for years before crossing over to the internal style. About the only area that an external pack can become a factor is up north when you're squeezing between large rocks. Even then, you can take off the pack and pass it through.

As I said before, my preference these days is an internal frame pack but I say many hikers successfully and happily complete their thru-hikes in 2003.

As far as getting access to CampTrails stuff ...you're on your own there !!

'Slogger
AT 2003

Peter Mossberg
01-03-2005, 16:16
I also like external frame packs, although I am just a weekend backpacker. I am still using an old Coleman Pack with the semi-flexible plastic frame (ramflex), but it is getting pretty ragged.

I especially like the ventilation that an external frame provides. Much cooler on your back.

Peaks
01-03-2005, 20:11
Externals are not marketed/sold like internal frames. Hence, it's getting harder and harder to find an external frame pack. Kelty is still making a few models, but that's generally about it. Certainly a less expensive pack than internals.

I thru-hiked with a Kelty Trekker. Last summer, I replaced it with an internal frame pack, but haven't done much more than a couple of overnighters with it.

lawman
01-03-2005, 22:09
Toolshed, thanks very much for the info. I phoned them today and purchased two mckinley III packs. He still has 15 left. Again, thanks for the info. Happy hiking, Lawman

lawman
01-03-2005, 22:11
I phoned them today and ordered two brand new Mckinley III packs. They have 15 left if anyone is interested. $69.99 ea. Thanks again this really helps for many of my future hikes. Happy hiking, Lawman:)

Lawman,
You should still be able to get it here (http://www.eurekacampingctr.com/special_sales.html)
or call 888-6eureka.
Class A's are cosmetic defects and Class B's are returns that have been repaired.
You are also correct, Johnson Worlwide www.jwa.com (http://www.jwa.com/) purchased both Camp Trails (originally in Phoenix) and Eureka (Originally in Binghamton) in the early 80's IIRC.
They also owned Jack Wolfskin, which was a great european mfgr and many other brands.
I am also unhappy with the demise of Eureka and Camp Trails.
Good luck
Rick

papa john
01-03-2005, 22:22
What sizes did they have left?

Papa John

lawman
01-04-2005, 07:58
Large to fit a torso of 15-23"

stranger
01-06-2005, 05:26
Sad to hear that Camp Trails is no longer making packs. Their external designs have been a solid staple in the outdoor industry for decades. Unfortunately as previously stated, external packs are not fashionable anymore...and if it ain't sexy, it won't sell...even in outdoor gear.

I remember working in Campmor in the pack department for many years and people would always come in and say " I don't know anything about packs but I know I want an internal " that pretty much sums it up. Gregory and Dana Design both tried to reinvent the frame pack, and did it brilliantly, but they still did not sell. I now live in New Zealand and they don't even bring external packs into the country...haven't for years.

Ebay is a good idea, just goes to show when you find something you really like buy 3 of them, cause it will eventually be gone.