PDA

View Full Version : Providing some trail magic

beaudetious
02-07-2011, 14:42
I want to set up a grill and a table and a few chairs and cook some dogs and burgers for the some NOBO's this spring. I live in Madison County, NC a few minutes from Hot Springs.

I was thinking of setting up at Allen Gap within view of the trail crossing there.

I've never done this before. Is this a good location and if so, when should I do it? It would have to be a weekend. How long does it take the normal thru-hiker starting out at Springer to get to Hot Springs?

Thanks for any trail angel advice.:-?

mweinstone
02-07-2011, 14:50
do it the last weekends in april. wish i could be there.sounds yummy. whats the menue? straight up dogchipcondimentdognut or something new?

beaudetious
02-07-2011, 14:52
I could get creative. However, this is my first time doing this type of trail magic so I'm not sure what to do. I'm hoping to get some other people involved (to help out with $$ and time) so maybe we could provide a better list of menu options.

mweinstone
02-07-2011, 15:07
then i recomend my friend and hiker bojangels method. he gets the most quality and quantity out of his magic bucks bang by buying bread and chease and crackers and salads and fruits and well, wine and beer but you can leave them out for juice and milk.but he dosnt cook or spend moneys on charcole and gas and grills and things. he just throws tons of ice and drinks and creates a wine and chease party of sorts with every food choice being ultra healthy compared to dogs and their accosiated dogburps.

HikerMom58
02-07-2011, 15:24
Anything you do will be appreciated, I'm sure! I wish I lived closer, I'd love to be there to help you out!

beaudetious
02-07-2011, 15:33
I'm just stoking the Karmic fire for my thru-hike one day. ;) Plus, I want to see what the thru-hikers have for gear and what lessons they've learned so far. And I want my kids to get involved somehow since they can't (or don't want to) hike big miles with me yet.

mweinstone
02-07-2011, 15:37
then bring a magic log book and ask folks to write something in it.

SweetestFetus
02-07-2011, 15:55
I second the statement that anything you choose to do will be appreciated! A hotdog never fails, however, and I think that's a great choice.
People like you are going to bring unexpected joy to my hike this year. I'm looking forward to meeting you and others like you.

Blissful
02-07-2011, 16:02

Good idea. I need to do that this year for my annual hiker picnic in SNP.

Blissful
02-07-2011, 16:05
I'd do it maybe the 1st or 2nd weekend of April at the latest if you want the most hikers. I mean I started March 5th and was in Erwin on Easter (first weekend in April) which is past Hot Springs. Last year at the end of April there was a bunch of hikers already in VA.

beaudetious
02-07-2011, 16:35
Yeah, I was thinking it's "only" 260 miles or so. It shouldn't take almost two months to get to Hot Springs. I'll aim for April 2nd or maybe the 9th.

I was planning on hanging out for a half a day instead of just dropping the goods off and coming back to get the trash.

Sickmont
02-07-2011, 16:44
I was planning on hanging out for a half a day instead of just dropping the goods off and coming back to get the trash.

That could be dangerous.......you might get an urge to take a "little" stroll.......next thing you know you're approaching Damascus......

beaudetious
02-07-2011, 16:52
Maybe I'll have a thru-hiker man the food and I'll hike their pack into HS for him/her. :)

Lilred
02-07-2011, 17:17
Maybe I'll have a thru-hiker man the food and I'll hike their pack into HS for him/her. :)

A thru hiker manning the food??? That could be dangerous....

Wise Old Owl
02-07-2011, 17:29
great ideas, I would also incorporate two small slow cookers one with Mac & Cheese and other with Bush beans,

have something for the the vegans.....

beaudetious
02-07-2011, 17:41
I appreciate all of the advice. I'll try to get a group together and I'll make sure to offer food for both the carnivores and the herbivores. I'm a vegetarian myself, so that won't be an issue.

Jack Tarlin
02-07-2011, 19:46
I think what you're doing is just GREAT so thank you! One suggestion.....one of the things I really miss out on the Trail is really (underline that word) cold drinks. Cups and ice would be a great thing to bring along.....also, I know this will sound funny, but if you feel like it, bring along a really big mixed green salad with dressings. It's something that hikers (and not just vegetarian hikers) would love. Otherwise, burgers, dogs, chips, whatever is great. The best trail magic is simple stuff in the middle of nowhere that nobody expects.

mweinstone
02-08-2011, 08:55
Theres a man who has a habit of hiking to the shelter near his house with a single pack of dogs,an onion and a bottle of mustard all in his pockets. He makes a fire and sets the stuff out and when the first hikers come, they cook their own dog on a stick and slice the onion on the napkin the man has brought. he enjoys the hikers company and tells good storys and walks off. he does this daily during some weeks of the season. Forgot his name. But never his kindness and simple ways.

Gray Blazer
02-08-2011, 11:11

Don't forget to do this. Your hands will be very busy, so while they are watching you do everything, they could be writing in the log.

Allen Gap is close to Hemlock Hollow, a good place to "enhance" hiker's wilderness experience. If it were me doing the "magic" I would drive up to Rich Mountain Fiortetower and set up there (putting a sign on the AT directing folks up the hill) or, even better, I would drive and set up on the AT on top of Camp Creek Bald.

Tennessee Viking
02-08-2011, 11:53
I want to set up a grill and a table and a few chairs and cook some dogs and burgers for the some NOBO's this spring. I live in Madison County, NC a few minutes from Hot Springs.

I was thinking of setting up at Allen Gap within view of the trail crossing there.

I've never done this before. Is this a good location and if so, when should I do it? It would have to be a weekend. How long does it take the normal thru-hiker starting out at Springer to get to Hot Springs?

Thanks for any trail angel advice.:-?Around April is the start of the main crowd to hit Hot Springs/Erwin.

There is usually a big trail magic feast at Sams Gap in April. Its a mixture of TEHCC, CMC, and locals.

If you do it at Allen Gap, I would check to see if Hemlock Hollow Hostel & Cabins wants to pitch in since they just north of Allen Gap. Allen Gap is ok as long as let the hikers know to walk the forest road down to the old store instead of the highway.

Devils Fork Gap is another good spot. Plenty of room off the road.

Diatribe
02-08-2011, 22:28
Three words...HOG CAMP GAP!!!

Man I'd love to get in cahoots with those guys from the years previous and make some real magic in that serene meadow!!!!

Jack Tarlin... Sound like a plan? I know you guys called it quits a few years back. It would be great to make it work this year!

Namaste
02-08-2011, 22:52
That's a great idea. I never set up a tent or anything but a few years ago I knew some NOBO's were gonna be in my area of PA early June so I hiked up with a bunch of falafel's from a local Lebanese deli. They were very appreciative. I wish I could remember all of their trail names.

I was thinking just a huge pan of bacon out there on a fire would make them happy after reading the thread about what hikers miss most when they're out there.

goldenhands
02-09-2011, 22:49
or several boxes of pizzas.... that's the other thing that was missed the most on the "one food you could have" thread.

I would also vote for a huge bowl of crunchy green lettuce, with a vinegar/oil dressing - that's what i end up craving.

So Far
02-09-2011, 23:02
I would shoot for the 3rd or 4th weekend in April...Most leave late March and April 1st. Great spot for trail magic! I remember crossing that road last year and couldnt find the spring...had no water even though it was raining. I ended up filtering water of a ditch on the side of the road. Best of luck and Thanks for helping out.

Gray Blazer
02-10-2011, 11:26
I would shoot for the 3rd or 4th weekend in April...Most leave late March and April 1st. Great spot for trail magic! I remember crossing that road last year and couldnt find the spring...had no water even though it was raining. I ended up filtering water of a ditch on the side of the road. Best of luck and Thanks for helping out.

There's a stream a coupla hundred yards to the north.

So Far
02-10-2011, 15:24
There's a stream a coupla hundred yards to the north.

Didnt see anything! Remember climbing for awhile after the gap. The night before at Spring Mountain Shelter I didnt get water because it was a down poor. I remember laying in my tent for hours. The next morning I walked a few miles then tried to get water from the stream 200 yd off trail but my filter was clogged. I forgot my scrub pad at home. I went from Springer to Hurrican VA with a water filter that took FOREVER to filter water. Ahhhhh the good ol days!

Red Hat
02-10-2011, 16:11
Yeah, I was thinking it's "only" 260 miles or so. It shouldn't take almost two months to get to Hot Springs. I'll aim for April 2nd or maybe the 9th.

my first hike in 05, I was in Hot Springs exactly one month from my start date (March 13-April 13) Last year, I was a week earlier. So mid April is probably your best for March starters, end of April for April starters.