PDA

View Full Version : Fanny Packs - Functional or Faux Pas?

Sierra Echo
02-07-2011, 15:54
I want an award for that interesting title!

Here is my latest question. Does anyone wear a fanny pack in addition to their regular pack while hiking long distances? I can see where it can be convient having your water, etc there, but its soooo 1990s!
What is everyones opinions?

Zeno Marx
02-07-2011, 16:08
The packs I use have them as their lid, so I always have one with me. Mine go to good use as I day hike from a base camp. I have a couple very well designed Dana Design hipsacks that are more than capable of carrying a load for an overnight or a short weekend. I don't think I'm answering your question, but if there's some goofy stigma to using a fanny, there isn't for me.

bigcranky
02-07-2011, 16:12
Put me in the "functional" column. I always wear a small waist pack in front, with my camera, wallet, snacks, and other small useful stuff. That way I have it even when I am not wearing my pack. Works well in town and in camp.

Spogatz
02-07-2011, 16:16
Functional

I have the MountainSmith Day Classic with the shoulder straps and it holds enough to do an overnight.

LoneRidgeRunner
02-07-2011, 16:17
Put me in the "functional" column. I always wear a small waist pack in front, with my camera, wallet, snacks, and other small useful stuff. That way I have it even when I am not wearing my pack. Works well in town and in camp.

I've been considering getting one of those for the same reason but was hesitant as I was concerned about it gettting in the way of the hip belt of my big pack or vice versa...Have you had any problems with that?

Diatribe
02-07-2011, 16:47
One of my old Osprey packs has the sweet option to turn the floating lid to a very functional lumbar pack. Always worked great for me, whether it was for a summit expedition, walking to the downhill water source in camp, or riding my bike with the flow of traffic in Richmond gridlock.

Though I've never felt embarrassed wearing the thing, if someone were to point out my fashion faux pas, I would gladly chop them back to reality that I paid over 200 bucks for the pack, and that they are more overweight & unhealthy than I could ever dream of being...

mykl
02-07-2011, 17:20
My Kelty Red Cloud has a fanny pack lid. I love it, very functional for water runs and exploring. Also, it's very comfortable, more so than I expected.

Two Tents
02-07-2011, 17:47
I have pockets on my hip belt. But my fanny pack gets strapped around the pack above the center pocket. That way I have it for use in town and camp. It helps make up for the lack of external pockets on my Mariposa or ULA, which ever I'm using. Plus the fanny pack belt usually holds something in/down while I'm hiking.

Mags
02-07-2011, 17:55
As long as it works for you...

That's all that counts, right? :)

Awol1970
02-07-2011, 18:13
Are there any fashion faux pas whie hiking? I mean really? Hmmm i'm gonna start my first thread.

Cookerhiker
02-07-2011, 18:53
I want an award for that interesting title!

Here is my latest question. Does anyone wear a fanny pack in addition to their regular pack while hiking long distances? I can see where it can be convient having your water, etc there, but its soooo 1990s!
What is everyones opinions?

I'd rather not have a fanny pack back there for weight and logistics more than fashion. I have a holster/pouch for a water bottle which I wear in the front so I can take drinks without taking the pack off. It has a loop through which the pack waist straps thread.

I affix the camera to my sternum strap. So for me there's no need for a separate fanny or front pack.

Zeno Marx
02-07-2011, 19:07
Are there any fashion faux pas whie hiking? I mean really? Hmmm i'm gonna start my first thread.seems for a lot of people, not being an ULer is a faux pas. you can't be enjoying the outdoors as much as they are.

4eyedbuzzard
02-07-2011, 19:34
Are there any fashion faux pas whie hiking? I mean really?

Well, um, yeah, prolly

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/1/4/8/5/MSa_original.jpg

Sierra Echo
02-07-2011, 19:40
Now THAT is just ugly!

Cookerhiker
02-07-2011, 20:23
But he did thruhike - twice.

Zeno Marx
02-07-2011, 20:27
My father is a messy person like that...stuff all over the place on the ground. I'm digging the outfit.

Zeno Marx
02-07-2011, 20:28
especially the hat

mweinstone
02-07-2011, 20:37
ms had great trail fashion. i always refer to his use of his banndanna as an ear and neck sunsheild, as his "squid fins". alot of you may never have seen his gear. ms was poor as dirt. their wasnt a name brand about him. his straps were cotton clothesline and his food came in the post. he hikes with the real old fashioned love of trail i was raised with. nothing matters but being out their . if ms was here, im sure whiteblaze would be a better place. everyone hates his veiws, but his knowlage of the facts about hiking is well read and known to him. everyone admits that.he can quote snofall charts or disertate on microfabrics. he cant keep his mouth shut on politics,religion and philosophy was the reason hes off the blaze. allways sad. miss ya luke.so does hikerdom.hes a geologist. hes the nerd in a shipping container who is lowered onto an oil rig in the middle of the ocean and keeps an eye on the button.the button that can seal the well in 12 seconds if theres an earthquake. sitting in a dim metal box n a rig at sea for months with men whom he has nothing in common with, ms studys. hes read most words and then some on hiking. his brain is large , even to the child, his head appears unussually large. hes an egghead. my good friend. and someone those of us who like ,forgive for his personal veiws and focus on his being a hiking bro.

bigcranky
02-07-2011, 20:46
I've been considering getting one of those for the same reason but was hesitant as I was concerned about it gettting in the way of the hip belt of my big pack or vice versa...Have you had any problems with that?

Nope, no problems at all. I put the waist pack on first, then put on my regular pack. When it comes time to buckle the hip belt, I just sort of flip the waist pack over the hip belt so it rides in just the right place. I can slide it so it's more in front or more on the side, depending on what I need at the time.

Here's a photo - the black pouch under my left hand is my small Eagle Creek waist pack. I have a larger one that I got at wallymart for when I want a bigger camera.

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/2/6/6/20101029hike0503_web_thumb.jpg (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=43863&c=member&imageuser=266)

4eyedbuzzard
02-07-2011, 20:50
ms had great trail fashion. i always refer to his use of his banndanna as an ear and neck sunsheild, as his "squid fins". alot of you may never have seen his gear. ms was poor as dirt. their wasnt a name brand about him. his straps were cotton clothesline and his food came in the post. he hikes with the real old fashioned love of trail i was raised with. nothing matters but being out their . if ms was here, im sure whiteblaze would be a better place. everyone hates his veiws, but his knowlage of the facts about hiking is well read and known to him. everyone admits that.he can quote snofall charts or disertate on microfabrics. he cant keep his mouth shut on politics,religion and philosophy was the reason hes off the blaze. allways sad. miss ya luke.so does hikerdom.hes a geologist. hes the nerd in a shipping container who is lowered onto an oil rig in the middle of the ocean and keeps an eye on the button.the button that can seal the well in 12 seconds if theres an earthquake. sitting in a dim metal box n a rig at sea for months with men whom he has nothing in common with, ms studys. hes read most words and then some on hiking. his brain is large , even to the child, his head appears unussually large. hes an egghead. my good friend. and someone those of us who like ,forgive for his personal veiws and focus on his being a hiking bro.

Yep. But he still dresses funny.

mweinstone
02-07-2011, 20:55
the lid of my pack and my leather slingshot i made to resemble the one michal angelos david statue has, make the coolest town fanny on earth when shoulder slung courrer bag style. and my slingshot is a high velosity projectile weapon i get on planes with with no issues. and fun.

Sierra Echo
02-07-2011, 20:58
Nope, no problems at all. I put the waist pack on first, then put on my regular pack. When it comes time to buckle the hip belt, I just sort of flip the waist pack over the hip belt so it rides in just the right place. I can slide it so it's more in front or more on the side, depending on what I need at the time.

Here's a photo - the black pouch under my left hand is my small Eagle Creek waist pack. I have a larger one that I got at wallymart for when I want a bigger camera.

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/2/6/6/20101029hike0503_web_thumb.jpg (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=43863&c=member&imageuser=266)

That doesnt look too bad or uncomfortable. And big crank, you are a big cutie~! ;)

Roland
02-07-2011, 21:46
That doesnt look too bad or uncomfortable. And big crank, you are a big cutie~! ;)

Ummm.....it's bigcranky. But I think you knew that.

Cookerhiker
02-07-2011, 22:16

As I recall, didn't you hike up Katahdin with him?

Dirty Nails
02-07-2011, 23:36
I use a small, 2 pocket waist pack, worn in front. It's just super-handy for the frequently needed stuff: map, camera, snack, dog treats, etc. It's a "Chubbs" from Sports Authority (look on racks near front entrance), soft, small and lightweight. Very convenient. It sucks to constantly have to remove the big pack.

Mountain Wildman
02-07-2011, 23:39
I use the Pacsafe Stashsafe 100, It's not too large and not too small and cannot be ripped off of your waist.

http://www.pacsafe.com/media/product/product_image/medium/1658_19_StashSafe_100_-_Black-500x500.jpg (javascript:openWindow('show_big_image.php?source= ../media/product/product_image/normal/1658_19_StashSafe_100_-_Black-500x500.jpg','600','600'))

http://www.buy.com/prod/pacsafe-stashsafe-100/q/loc/16234/208085231.html

Maddog
02-07-2011, 23:57
Same here! :)

wornoutboots
02-07-2011, 23:59
[QUOTE=Zeno Marx;1109963]The packs I use have them as their lid, so I always have one with me. Mine go to good use as I day hike from a base camp.

+1 perfect to take xplorin from a base camp

bigcranky
02-08-2011, 10:47

That was after a lot of Photoshop work. In real life I look a lot like Lone Wolf. But thanks :)

Awol1970
02-08-2011, 11:30
my slingshot is a high velosity projectile weapon i get on planes with with no issues.

That's funny.

DrRichardCranium
02-08-2011, 11:32
The faux-pas is really calling it a "fanny pack." In the UK, Ireland, Australia, and NZ the word "fanny" is slang for "vagina."

Awol1970
02-08-2011, 11:36
I know some women....errr....nevermind.

Mongoose2
02-08-2011, 13:49

That's what she said!! Seriously, like bigcranky I use the fanny pack to hald those items I use often during the hike, or things I want with me when I take off my pack. Very convenient!

scope
02-08-2011, 14:01
The faux-pas is really calling it a "fanny pack." In the UK, Ireland, Australia, and NZ the word "fanny" is slang for "vagina."

Fitting! :D

max patch
02-08-2011, 14:09
Kim Kardashian packs her fannny.

LIhikers
02-08-2011, 16:54
I use one when I'm out doing AT corridor monitoring.
When I'm out on my section and I know I'm not going to do anything but walk the boundary lines, without doing any cutting, trimming, painting, sign hanging, or other work, I'll use a fanny pack to carry some water, snacks, compass, and other odds and ends.

TallShark
02-08-2011, 18:52
Great place to put your pistol... i meant bear spray/ bells. But in all seriousness I do carry a fanny pack and it makes a great pouch for "need in a hurry type items", like a camera or whatever. I'll post a picture this spring of it in action.

couscous
02-11-2011, 12:58
[QUOTE=Sierra Echo;1109946]Does anyone wear a fanny pack in addition to their regular pack while hiking long distances? I can see where it can be convient having your water, etc there, but its soooo 1990s!QUOTE]

Fashion goes in cycles. Look for them to reappear as belted satchels, hands-free bags or belt bags. They may be on the fashion runway this Sunday in New York with $325+ price tags.

MotherShip
02-12-2011, 22:59
I'm looking all over town for a fanny pack and I can't find them anywhere. I would love to have a small one for the odd equipment.......I used one in Europe and I find them handy but the one I have is to big. Any ideas where I can get one. I'm hitting the trail in 3 weeks....

LordoftheWings
02-12-2011, 23:19
So, I'll be wearing one because I like having the camera and often used items handy and accessible. As far as a fashion issue, I'm 375 lbs. If I want to wear a size 1x hot pink t-shirt proudly exclaiming "Daddy's Little Princess" I'll do it. And I prefer the term "Man Purse"

Mr. Clean
02-13-2011, 07:10
I also wear a small one on the front for frequently used items like camera and snacks.

Sierra Echo
02-13-2011, 09:00
So, I'll be wearing one because I like having the camera and often used items handy and accessible. As far as a fashion issue, I'm 375 lbs. If I want to wear a size 1x hot pink t-shirt proudly exclaiming "Daddy's Little Princess" I'll do it. And I prefer the term "Man Purse"

I want to go with you when you wear that shirt! You walk ahead of me, and I will take pics of the looks on peoples faces. We will have fun!

bigcranky
02-13-2011, 20:40
I'm looking all over town for a fanny pack and I can't find them anywhere. I would love to have a small one for the odd equipment.......I used one in Europe and I find them handy but the one I have is to big. Any ideas where I can get one. I'm hitting the trail in 3 weeks....

Wal Mart sells a nice waist pack, in the hiking/camping gear section. Gray color, smallish but it'll carry a lot of little stuff. Just got one for my new (larger) camera. I had been using an Eagle Creek waist pack that I got at my local Great Outdoor Provision Co.

Any place that sells travel stuff should have Eagle Creek gear.

LordoftheWings
02-13-2011, 20:55
If I can find a shirt like that S.E., I'll wear it. I saw some today that were pink and said "I fight like a Girl" I just couldn't squeeze into any of them without looking like I was smuggling ham and mashed potatoes out of the store.

LordoftheWings
02-13-2011, 20:56
I haven't found a suitable man purse yet. I might have to have one made????

Roland
02-13-2011, 20:59
I saw some today that were pink and said "I fight like a Girl" I just couldn't squeeze into any of them without looking like I was smuggling ham and mashed potatoes out of the store.

You are a funny SOB. I like your attitude.

Have a great hike!

Skidsteer
02-13-2011, 21:08
If I can find a shirt like that S.E., I'll wear it. I saw some today that were pink and said "I fight like a Girl" I just couldn't squeeze into any of them without looking like I was smuggling ham and mashed potatoes out of the store.

Katz? Is that you? :D

Sierra Echo
02-13-2011, 21:17
You are a funny SOB. I like your attitude.

Have a great hike!

I like him too!!!