PDA

View Full Version : is my backpack big enough for a thrue hike?

balloonatic
02-07-2011, 18:39
hi every one. so i am getting things ready for this summer and I have two packs the one i want to take because of comfort and ease of use is a
Emerald Bay Internal Frame Backpack
Size 26"x16"x5"
it is older and dose not have the tags any more and i am terriable with the math. will this work, I am not a ultra light gram counter but do enoy as light as i can get. any views would be great thanks
balloonatic
aka tim

flemdawg1
02-07-2011, 18:41
Will all your stuff fit in it?

Feral Bill
02-07-2011, 18:54
If it were a box, it would come out to a bit over 2000 cubic inches. Probably a bit skimpy for most people.

Luddite
02-07-2011, 19:02
If its 2000 cubic inches I think thats a bit too small. My ULA OHM's main body is 2,100ci but it has anextension collar and a bunch of pockets so it adds up to 3900ci and its just big enough and I am an ultralight gram counter.

Ox97GaMe
02-07-2011, 19:11
I agree that 2000 ci is a bit small. I think most hikers are in the 3500-4200 range. There are ultralight hikers that go a lot smaller than that. So it is really based on the type of hike you plan to do and how much you want to carry with you.

leaftye
02-07-2011, 19:27
As others have said, that's on the small side. You might be able to make it work if you store your pad, shelter and water externally.

Jack Tarlin
02-07-2011, 19:36
The problem with having to pack lots of stuff outside your pack (and I mean LOTS of stuff, not just a few things) is that your pack will ride funny; it's cumbersome and sometimes a pain to tie/strap everything down every day; stuff will get wet; and sooner or later, something important will fall off. Anything less than 2800 cubic inches is a pretty small pack for an extended hike; anything less than 2500 is very small; anything around or less than 2000 is REALLY small. Unless you are an experienced ultra-lightweight hiker, I personally would look at something a bit bigger.

balloonatic
02-07-2011, 19:37
thanks it looks like i have some things to work out.
balloonatic

Roche
02-07-2011, 19:48
Buy all your gear then buy the bag. I didn't buy a "family car" until I needed one.

Appalachian Tater
02-07-2011, 20:00
It's too small. If you are going to thru-hike, get a good pack that fits well because you are going to be climbing up and down mountains with it on your back for 2,000+ miles.

mweinstone
02-07-2011, 21:10
a pack is large enough if you can load it sitting down. if you need to stand up and jam your foot in it and get it tight as a drum to close, its too small. this rule is my own and it searves me well. i never want to struggel stuffing my pack. and i want room for strap on hogies and steaks to share with jack.

Chubbs4U
02-08-2011, 00:11
So how big of a bag would we suggest for a thru hike? Or even a couple of nights on the trail how big of a bag would you need? Complete newb question but the first bag I bought is huge and dont think I need that much space. Sorry to pennyback off topic a bit.

leaftye
02-08-2011, 00:26
I'd start off by figuring out what bag/quilt and clothes you'll bring. If you use a down quilt and your only clothing insulation is a down jacket, there's a chance you could use a 3000 cu in pack. If you use a 0°F synthetic sleeping back and carry 2 pairs of thermals, sleeping gear and a thick fleece, then you'll probably end up needing at least a 5000 cu in pack.

It's really too hard to estimate online, especially since the volume for a lot of gear is either not provided, or must be calculated, but I doubt that can get you within 90% of your actual volume.

If you can't go try on packs... Why not get a trash bag and throw all your stuff in it? The trash bags have their rated volume on the box. Or use a big box and jam your stuff in, but keep the top flat. Cube shapes are very easy to calculate volume.

Toolshed
02-08-2011, 00:34
hi every one. so i am getting things ready for this summer and I have two packs the one i want to take because of comfort and ease of use is a

Emerald Bay Internal Frame Backpack
Size 26"x16"x5"
it is older and dose not have the tags any more and i am terriable with the math. will this work, I am not a ultra light gram counter but do enoy as light as i can get. any views would be great thanks
balloonatic

aka tim

Too small, though I admit, on Ebay (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=310253255757) it looks a lot bigger. I would aslo probably want something a little more "name brandish" in terms of quality if I were setting out with all my gear..
For that price or maybe a tad bit more, you can get some much better made packs by Jansport, Kelty or GoLite here (http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/SubCategory___40000000226_200368421?ip_navtype=sea rch&catFilter=&searchKeywords=200368421&ip_sortBy=priceAsc&filters=&ip_constrain=&pageSize=24&catType=&searchCategory=browsefilter&manNameFilter=&sizeFilter=&ip_state=&priceFilter=&currentPage=0&colorFilter=)

balloonatic
02-08-2011, 02:04
Too small, though I admit, on Ebay (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=310253255757) it looks a lot bigger. I would aslo probably want something a little more "name brandish" in terms of quality if I were setting out with all my gear..
For that price or maybe a tad bit more, you can get some much better made packs by Jansport, Kelty or GoLite here (http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/SubCategory___40000000226_200368421?ip_navtype=sea rch&catFilter=&searchKeywords=200368421&ip_sortBy=priceAsc&filters=&ip_constrain=&pageSize=24&catType=&searchCategory=browsefilter&manNameFilter=&sizeFilter=&ip_state=&priceFilter=&currentPage=0&colorFilter=)

Well the thing is i already habe this one it has been with me on several hiking trips of a week or so and all over the world with me for balloon work and ministry and so i am rather attached to it. I might modify it to work. In the bottom section it holds all my sleeping stuff and on of the side pockets holds all my cooking so i am feeling better. Unless i can find a good used one.

flemdawg1
02-08-2011, 09:13
If you've used a pack for a week long BACKPACKING trip, then it will obviously work.

sbhikes
02-08-2011, 11:11
I used a 4000cu pack and at times it was way too big and at other times it seemed way too small, usually when there was a long resupply. I was amazed how much more food I carried after a while.

SunnyWalker
02-09-2011, 23:54
Look through some of the articles on WB. They would really be a help and blessing at this point.