PDA

View Full Version : Big Agnes Fly Creek

NYRGTO
02-07-2011, 19:43
Has anyone used one of them? I'm a little concerned about the 1200mm waterproofing and if that might be a problem on an AT thru-hike. Anyone have experience with one?

WhoDey
02-07-2011, 20:08
I have no experience with the Big Agnes tent you are mentioning, but I do use a Tarptent made with 1200mm silnylon. In my experience, it has handled all rain here in the Southeast really well. I have never gotten wet from rain, only from condensation which does not apply to your double wall tent. 1200mm should work just fine. The floor is something you need to check since that is where all the pressure is being applied to. That is why I use a tyvek groundcloth.

obscura
02-07-2011, 20:15
I have a Fly Creek 1 and have used in several good rains with no problems.

Used it one night when 4.5 inches of rain fell in about 6 hours. I was perfectly dry. My shoes in the vestibule floated several feet away.

Also used a different night and woke up with about 1.5" of water all the way around the tent. Floor felt a bit squishy and cold, and think it would have soaked through eventually, but again, also dry.

I trust it. I'm taking it on my thru in a few weeks.

sixguns01
02-07-2011, 20:15
Has anyone used one of them? I'm a little concerned about the 1200mm waterproofing and if that might be a problem on an AT thru-hike. Anyone have experience with one?

I have used the Fly Creek 2 and still do. Stuck in through day long down pour and it held up quite well. No leaks. Ground sheet or footprint is worth it.

One concern- front entry rainfly flap will allow a small amount of water in if you are not careful and slow when unzipping. Takes awhile to get used too but not a big deal.

Have fun

mweinstone
02-07-2011, 20:18
not anything big agnus makes would i be caught dead with. i am a black diamond marmot patagonia msr cult member.

Dirty Nails
02-08-2011, 00:11
I used my new Fly Creek 2 in Maine for 2 weeks. It's really more like a 1-1/2, not as roomy as most 2 man tents, but just enough for me and the dog. And it's more like a "semi-free standing". The narrow end requires a little extra guying out to open the tent fully. And it doen't seem to really open fully without some sagging. I could not get it really taut, and would not be confident in heavy winds. Also, the floor tends to lift in the middle towards the sidewalls. If you check the Seedhouse, it has extra stakeout loops in this area which keeps the floor flat and open nicely. My Flycreek did start to drip on me from a seam a little during a heavy rainstorm. It's easy enough to seal, though Big Agnes claims no seam seal needed.
My Seed House UL2 is more sturdy and comfortable, but yes, the Flycreek can't be beat for lightweight. They may have pushed the envelope on this one.
The FlyCreek 2 is roomy for 1 person, but for 2 people?, maybe 2 very little people!
I can't speak for the 1-man.

Yukon
02-08-2011, 08:37
not anything big agnus makes would i be caught dead with. i am a black diamond marmot patagonia msr cult member.

That's too bad, they make some nice gear :)

10-K
02-08-2011, 09:56
Have any of you ever experienced misting during a hard rain?

FamilyGuy
02-08-2011, 12:25

Me neither. But Big AgnES. Absolutely.

Captain Blue
02-08-2011, 12:32
Has anyone used one of them?

Have you done a search on Big Agnes Fly Creek on this forum yet? There is a lot of discussion on this already.

mykl
02-08-2011, 13:02
I used my new Fly Creek 2 in Maine for 2 weeks. It's really more like a 1-1/2, not as roomy as most 2 man tents, but just enough for me and the dog. And it's more like a "semi-free standing". The narrow end requires a little extra guying out to open the tent fully. And it doen't seem to really open fully without some sagging. I could not get it really taut, and would not be confident in heavy winds. Also, the floor tends to lift in the middle towards the sidewalls. If you check the Seedhouse, it has extra stakeout loops in this area which keeps the floor flat and open nicely. My Flycreek did start to drip on me from a seam a little during a heavy rainstorm. It's easy enough to seal, though Big Agnes claims no seam seal needed.
My Seed House UL2 is more sturdy and comfortable, but yes, the Flycreek can't be beat for lightweight. They may have pushed the envelope on this one.
The FlyCreek 2 is roomy for 1 person, but for 2 people?, maybe 2 very little people!
I can't speak for the 1-man.
Any issues with a dog in this tent? I've seen and been in the tent (but never used one on the trail) and would be scared to pay that much and have my dogs in there with material that seems delicate. Same with the Seedhouse UL.

Dirty Nails
02-08-2011, 16:08
Any issues with a dog in this tent? I've seen and been in the tent (but never used one on the trail) and would be scared to pay that much and have my dogs in there with material that seems delicate. Same with the Seedhouse UL.

No issues with my dog in this tent or any other. My dog is really calm. By the time I pitch it at the end of the day, she is ready to go inside and lay down quietly. I do put her on a pad or small fleece. If I trim her nails I always use a grinder or file. The clippers leave rough, sharp edges.
I worry more about twigs and rocks, but I did not get any tears on my two week trip with it.
Of course, I did have a bit of fur trapped inside! And she often tried to take the middle! You know how hard it is to get a sleepy, 60lb. dog to slide over!?!:o

BiGKaT
02-08-2011, 19:53
I was wondering how these tents are if you get stuck in a long spell of rain? They seem like they might be a bit cramped for any amount of time, but the low weight for a bug free environment is so enticing.....

Dirty Nails
02-10-2011, 01:18
That's why I use the 2P model. I'm 5'10" and 200lbs. I like a little elbow room. The 2man is just enough for me, the dog and gear. Not much room left for the elbows.

The weight is awesome, and I pack the pole on the outside so the tent packs to about Nalgene-size.